Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Penguins extend Marcus Pettersson (5 years, $4.025175M AAV)

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Because, as I said, it seems like a big contract for a guy I have no recollection of.

How is $4 million a year a big contract in this day and age in the NHL? That is the going rate for a 2nd pairing defenseman. Add in the fact that Pettersson was a rookie last year that already was getting 2nd pairing time with the Pens and has 25 points for his rookie season. Then has followed that season up with playing 20 minutes a night and again on pace for 25+ points.

What do you think a defenseman that young should sign for on a deal taking up most of his prime years? If you became his agent would you let him sign for less when he has already shown top 4 defenseman ability at a very young age and this deal takes up most of his prime years? Even if Pettersson doesn't improve he will still be worth this contract. Being this is only his 2nd year in the league and he has much room to add muscle to his frame I would bet he will be improving over the time of this deal. But $4 million is the norm for a 4th defenseman and in a few years that cap hit will look good compared to similar players new contracts.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Well, at least players can take JR's word that if you're willing to defer getting paid that he will make it up to you later when he can. I wish we had him as a GM instead of Barstool Bob.
It definitely was a risk that Pettersson took, but it does show other players that the GM is a man of his word. It would have been better to have been able to move someone out in the summer and get him at $3.5M for 6 years, but the extra $0.5M shouldn't hurt the team and the guy that should have been moved, has actually been somewhat decent. Of course JJ looks a lot better this season when you compare it to the stinker he had last year.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Such a terrible take.
You do realize the NHL you watch generates majority of its revenue from fans that don’t even know 20% of the player in the league. They are called the casual fan. Yes there are some few fans who know 95% of the players in the NHL but my guess would be that’s around 5% of hockey fans. This is not a popular national sport like NBA or NFL. So instead of forbidding people who don’t know any other Pettersson except for the guy in Vancouver, try educating.

This isn't a forum for "casual fans" though, at least it didn't use to be. A majority of the threads and so called "hot takes" from casuals are irrelevant and have no value here.

People make utter fools of themselves when they go into this thread or others and post the equivalent of "who?", I guess to be "funny" or for attention.

Just go away and don't post in the thread if you have an "opinion" of a player you've never heard of. Like, who does that if not for the reason of attention or to invite ridicule?

People have so many uninformed opinions nowadays about anything and everything. It makes me sick.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
To repeat what has already been explained: this season's cap hit + the next 5 seasons at the new cap hit = 6 seasons at $3.5M per year.
lol, I'm "that guy". I tried a few permutations with the old calculator but they didn't make sense.

Thanks.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Always play the victim. Always have the entitlement. Always complain about the rest of the league owing you something.

I have zero idea why people dislike you.

Hahahaha. Just so sad. you don’t like me because you spent the summer trying to troll about leaf contracts. You and about 4 Tampa fans were arrogant enough to actually try to argue that you knew better than agents gms players and accountants regarding taxes....... only to be proven horrifically wrong.

you still have an axe to grind because you are “entitled” enough to believe that tax advantages should be allowed in a cap system......

It’s simple. The person complaining about the “center of the universe.” Made a dumb remark to a moderator who made an innocuous comment.

I reminded that person that it’s clearly a good thing to have the “center” of the hockey universe. Because it allows teams that need help to keep teams.

a Pittsburgh fan should know that. Considering their team, despite incredible success, has had to file for bankruptcy twice and defaulted
On payments. They will be much More stable when Crosby leaves thanks to increased tv deals, fans and coverage. Leaf media and fans are a massive part of that

So it’s a good thing the hockey universe exists... or many teams wouldn’t.

The rest “victim” is just silly. There are a small portion of people like you who just want to complain about the leafs. Then you get mad when people correct you

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Hahahaha. Just so sad. you don’t like me because you spent the summer trying to troll about leaf contracts. You and about 4 Tampa fans were arrogant enough to actually try to argue that you knew better than agents gms players and accountants regarding taxes....... only to be proven horrifically wrong.

you still have an axe to grind because you are “entitled” enough to believe that tax advantages should be allowed in a cap system......

It’s simple. The person complaining about the “center of the universe.” Made a dumb remark to a moderator who made an innocuous comment.

I reminded that person that it’s clearly a good thing to have the “center” of the hockey universe. Because it allows teams that need help to keep teams.

a Pittsburgh fan should know that. Considering their team, despite incredible success, has had to file for bankruptcy twice and defaulted
On payments. They will be much More stable when Crosby leaves thanks to increased tv deals, fans and coverage. Leaf media and fans are a massive part of that

The rest “victim” is just silly. There are a small portion of people like you who just want to complain about the leafs. Then you get mad when people correct you
Point on the doll where the league touched and hurt you.

Reactions: Genetic

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Hubris does not suit you.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
This Ducks fans sighs. Good deal for both parties. I miss Pettersson for sure

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I'm assuming this spells the end Justin Schultz as of July 1st?
Even before this signing, pretty much before the season started it was and assumption that Schultz was going to walk in the off season. Now with the rookie performance of Marino it’s almost an absolute certainty Schultz is gone in the off season. If Pettersson’s signing has anything related to Schultz’s fate as a Penguin, its just putting the final nail in a 99% certainty that already existed.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'm assuming this spells the end Justin Schultz as of July 1st?

Almost certainly.

If he could somehow fetch a depth forward / depth defender with term - on really cheap contracts, I could see him moved before the TDL. Or some sort of swap to a team with a glutton of mid-tier forwards in need of a 2RD. Otherwise we're using him as our own rental and letting him walk in the Summer, because he deserves better than bottom-pairing money and will likely want a contract with more term than we'd be comfortable giving him anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad