Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MIN] Nick Bjugstad (50% retained) for cond. 2021 7th round pick

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I'm sure JR negotiating included things like: "do we have to retain a full 50%?" and "I'm just glad we save 2.6M in cash"
I meant in terms of a return, but also, as has been noted, a simple buyout would have had a lower annual cap hit than 50% retention. So I doubt he really did much negotiating around the retention either. Not like Guerin had any leverage against him with that.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Oof.

Doing a RST and not securing anything is just a sign of laziness. Rutherford very clearly didn't even try to negotiate.

As if Guerin would have walked from this deal if JR said "make it a guaranteed 7" or if the condition was "make it a 6 if he gets 35 points", instead.

Like, try to imagine how little JR even tried if Guerin had the confidence to say, "Fine! But if he gets only 34 points, we're not giving you anything!"

He also probably forgot to have Guerin sign the paper that says if Bjugstad works out then we get Brodin at the deadline for that 7th rounder back.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I meant in terms of a return, but also, as has been noted, a simple buyout would have had a lower annual cap hit than 50% retention.

It also would have extended the dead cap an additional year and they would have had to pay more real money. My point was the deal was made to save money, not to get something in return.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He also probably forgot to have Guerin sign the paper that says if Bjugstad works out then we get Brodin at the deadline for that 7th rounder back.

If Bjugstad works out you can have Brodin at the deadline for Poulin and a '22 1st.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Something along the lines of Bjugstad or McCann plus Dumolin for Laine IIRC

In what world is Bjugs the center piece of that deal :huh:

Dumo would be the center piece. He is a top 3 Dman that the pens have not interest in trading. Not that he has more value than Laine, just not a deal the pens make.

Reactions: Morrison

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's ridiculous. Rutherford basically gifted Guerin a free asset and got nothing more than about $2 million in cap space in the process.

Geez, JR. Could have at least made the condition favorable to YOU, like if Bjugstad reaches those totals the 7th becomes a 5th or 4th or something.

When selling a distressed asset, the buyer usually has more leverage then the seller.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
So, a year ago, pitt traded brassard, Sheahan, 2nd, and 2 4ths for him.. and now trade him for a 7th while retaining 50%.. wow. Thats horrible management.

This isn't a special trade for the wild, Im not sure it makes them any better, but it IS a bad trsde for pitt.

Who is going to replace bjugstad? Whoever it is, you have to add 2 million to his salary (the retained money) and then you have to ask yourself if its worth it.. that 4th line center they sign for 900k now becomes a 2.9 million dollar player. Is the drop off in production really worth 1.1 million in savings?

Did McCann just die off? He was the main piece in that trade, yet you leave him out... I wonder why

Bjugstad needs no replacement, he had no spot on the roster and barely played any games. He was eating up 4 million in dead capspace by not playing. He also just had major spinal surgery, there's a good chance he's not fit to play on a 4th line.

So your cap argument makes no sense. Keeping Bjudstad would mean 4.9 mill for a 4th line C, now it's 2.9 mill. So how is it worse?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If Bjugstad works out you can have Brodin at the deadline for Poulin and a '22 1st.

You could get more than that from JR. Dont be afraid to Aim higher.

Jokes aside I do think we will see these teams making more deals in the next few years. So Ill have to root for the Wild to be out of the race come trade deadline.

So.. Fiala and Dumba this year for Guentzel and Dumoulin in 5 years and whoever that 7th round pick ended up being. Imagine the surprise when Guerin shows up at his car dealership

Reactions: Morrison

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Did McCann just die off? He was the main piece in that trade, yet you leave him out... I wonder why

Bjugstad needs no replacement, he had no spot on the roster and barely played any games. He was eating up 4 million in dead capspace by not playing. He also just had major spinal surgery, there's a good chance he's not fit to play on a 4th line.

So your cap argument makes no sense. Keeping Bjudstad would mean 4.9 mill for a 4th line C, now it's 2.9 mill. So how is it worse?

I dont like the timing of it. Bjugstad just said he will be ready to go to start the season. We had the cap space to reup our RFAs. So unless Jack Johnson has a twin thats a UFA, idk why we needed to make this move right now. Let bjugstad get more than a 10 game sample size and either help our bottom six scoring or at least does well enough with his two way play that he turns into an asset, not a cap dump with a 8th round pick in return.

And there goes my all Florida 3rd line. McCann - Bjugstad - Hoffman could have done wonders.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm sure JR negotiating included things like: "do we have to retain a full 50%?" and "I'm just glad we save 2.6M in cash"

I’d expect 50% retention was the starting point for any team Pitt engaged to take on Bjugstad. The trade discussion after that would be what extra value the Pens would be willing to include in the trade to reduce the 50% retention.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Bjugstad missed large parts of the season at the start of the year with a sports hernia, then herniated discs in his back after coming back from rehabbing sports hernia surgery.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
In what world is Bjugs the center piece of that deal :huh:

Dumo would be the center piece. He is a top 3 Dman that the pens have not interest in trading. Not that he has more value than Laine, just not a deal the pens make.

Re-read what I said.

The Pens would take that trade and run lmao

Reactions: Darren McCord

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I don't feel like reading through 9 pages. What's the condition on the pick?

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
This is dumb. Guerin obviously has no intentions of competing next year if this is his plan for addressing the center-ice position
How could he with the contracts like Parise Suter and Zuccarello? Guerin is being smart getting assets that he can flip for more or get cheaply until they can seriously contend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad