Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MIN] Nick Bjugstad (50% retained) for cond. 2021 7th round pick

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Apparently if Bjug plays 70 games or scores 35 points, PIT gets the 7th. Anything less, PIT gets nothing. :facepalm:

To be fair Bjugstad is kinda worth about nothing at the moment, finished the season with as many hernias as he did points when he wasn't missing large parts of the year getting operated and rehabbing from surgeies.

Reactions: CF Punk

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see what PIT fans are complaining about. Bjugstad was useless for them, and, realizing that, they chopped 2M off their cap space(and 2.625M in real $$), without having to include a pick.

MN, OTOH, have an overpaid and useless Rask , Sturm, JEE, and now a useless Bjugstad as bottom six C's. MN isn't lacking bottom six C's, they are lacking top 6 C's, Guerin!

Talks must've gone really badly with Haula, or MTL, for this to be the FA C option for next year. If this isn't the C option acquisition, then WTH do it? How many useless C's does MN need?

It's not a disaster because of the short term and low amounts involved, but I don't get this at all for the Wild. As far as i'm concerned, JR owes BG one after this deal.

Hernias and disc problems? JFC!

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Empty jersey when playing, and has been dealing with serious injuries otherwise. Would have been nice to not retain salary but I think anyone you put in that spot will provide more value.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I don't see what PIT fans are complaining about. Bjugstad was useless for them, and, realizing that, they chopped 2M off their cap space(and 2.625M in real $$), without having to include a pick.

MN, OTOH, have an overpaid and useless Rask , Sturm, JEE, and now a useless Bjugstad as bottom six C's. MN isn't lacking bottom six C's, they are lacking top 6 C's, Guerin!

Talks must've gone really badly with Haula, or MTL, for this to be the FA C option for next year. If this isn't the C option acquisition, then WTH do it? How many useless C's does MN need?

It's not a disaster because of the short term and low amounts involved, but I don't get this at all for the Wild. As far as i'm concerned, JR owes BG one after this deal.

Exactly. he's 6'6 yet he plays like he's 5'10 he claims to be a power forward, yet he barley ever drives to the net/ crashes the net or even battles in corners, he's best asset his a heavy shot, that again he barley uses the Pens didnt even really want the guy to begin with they only wanted McCann, Florida wanted to dump his salary to try and get Bob and Panerin, the Pens begrudgingly took him just to get McCann.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if a MN/PIT trade for Murray is the next shoe to drop, and if Guerin is just doing his old team favor with this trade, cause I just don't get it as is. Why pay for PIT's mistake? Sturm is a very inexpensive and decent looking 4C. JEE is a decent 3C. Rask is a our overpaid benchwarmer C. Maybe Guerin wants to try JEE in the 2C role...that would be ambitious.

Last edited:

bbskiff

Jul 1, 2014
Ontario
How in the world is a guy who played 10 games and did nothing in those games worth more than a conditional 7th haha. I'm amazed we didn't have to take a contract back

Based on Bjustads past performances with Florida should have gotten the Pens at least a 4th or 5th rd pick.
I dunno, I think Ruther is in panic mode trying to safe his job because the Pens window is closing.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Apparently if Bjug plays 70 games or scores 35 points, PIT gets the 7th. Anything less, PIT gets nothing. :facepalm:

Considering Bjugstad's injury history, essentially the Pens get nothing in return other than slightly over $2 million in cap space.

That kind of sucks because any move the Pens might want to make will require more than just $2 million in cap space, which means more "salary dumps" need to happen.

Reactions: Vegeta and uncleben

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'm starting to feel a bit better about the trade when I think of it in these terms. But I guess I'm just bummed that it's only around $2 million in cap space, not the full $4.1 million. I'm just not sure what a small amount like that allows JR to do in terms of other additions.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Based on Bjustads past performances with Florida should have gotten the Pens at least a 4th or 5th rd pick.
I dunno, I think Ruther is in panic mode trying to safe his job because the Pens window is closing.

Dude. Bjugstad is likely done in the NHL.

Moving him and freeing up 2 MIL versus playing the off and on IR deal is worth 2 mil retained in terms of cap hit and given the financial situation in PIT worth it to save actual cash.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Know it isn't much, just curious if anyone knows what the actual condition on the 7th rounder is?

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I meant in terms of a return, but also, as has been noted, a simple buyout would have had a lower annual cap hit than 50% retention. So I doubt he really did much negotiating around the retention either. Not like Guerin had any leverage against him with that.

Why do keep posting this and ignore the buyout cap hit in 2021-22 that you wouldn't have if you trade/retain? I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh is concerned about their cap in 2021-22.

The way I look at this trade is, how many teams in the current covid/flat cap environment would sign UFA Bjugstad for a cap hit of $2.05M (and actual cost of $2.625M)? My opinion is very few teams would do that given the injury history, etc. If the UFA market is limited at that cost, then the trade is actually pretty good for pittsburgh.

I actually give Rutherford credit. He's been aggressive and made moves early. It is only going to get harder to move salary as time goes on - other teams will start spending. And probably no team takes the full $4M cap hit. Better to have certainty now, even if you have to retain a bit more. I feel the same way about his trade for Kapanen. Arguably he overpaid, but he's added his piece early and can now make other plans (i.e., figuring out his goalie situation and other RFAs). Sometimes you pay more so that you can move on and not be stuck.

Reactions: 57special

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Bjugstad is hanging to an NHL career by the skin of his theet right now and that's despite being 6'6 and a right shooting centre! Can you imagine how under performing he has become right now to sink that low?

No longer can he play centre anymore btw. Unless your goal is for your team to compete for last place.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Hey Jared McCann...

67990668.jpg

Reactions: Morrison

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

the dude just had his second major back surgery. There is zero chance he has value right now. Its an unfortunate situation but it is what it is

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
This seems like a deal where real dollars played into it more than we're used to. Seems like a great deal for Minny, but Pitt just saved themselves $2.625m in actual dollars. Sucks from a fan perspective, but we might see more of these.

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad