Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MIN] Nick Bjugstad (50% retained) for cond. 2021 7th round pick

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I dont know what pens fans are complaining about.

there were two choices

either spend 4 million for a guy that you dont really have a role for that will probably be injured off and on or Save 2 million off of that.

if he didnt get hurt Or there wasnt a flat cap we wouldnt be in this position but he did and there is so you got to go with the lesser of two evils.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
So, a year ago, pitt traded brassard, Sheahan, 2nd, and 2 4ths for him.. and now trade him for a 7th while retaining 50%.. wow. Thats horrible management.

This isn't a special trade for the wild, Im not sure it makes them any better, but it IS a bad trsde for pitt.

Who is going to replace bjugstad? Whoever it is, you have to add 2 million to his salary (the retained money) and then you have to ask yourself if its worth it.. that 4th line center they sign for 900k now becomes a 2.9 million dollar player. Is the drop off in production really worth 1.1 million in savings?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think at this point Bjugstad can easily be replaced by a league minimum player so Pittsburgh essentially dumped 1.4M in cap. Cap space is going to be a premium this offseason so while that isn’t a lot of cap space it’s a decent enough start

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
This doesn't look bad for Pittsburgh.

Bjugstad can't stay healthy. People are talking about how they could buy him out, but he can't be bought out if he's injured... has he got healthy since the Penguins season ended?

It's preferable to have Bjugstad at $4.1m than having $2m in dead cap space? Unless he ends up on IR for chunks of next season, then you've basically got $3m in dead cap space because you're replacement for him while he's on IR is probably a $1m player.

If Pittsburgh are going to have an internal cap next season, this saves them $2.6m.

If Bjugstad was a UFA this summer then I wouldn't have seen him getting a $2m deal. Getting someone to take him at $2.6m salary and $2m cap hit isn't bad.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The general concensus was that the Pens were going to buy Bjugstad out. If healthy, he's a useful middle 6 player. He was rarely healthy and we couldn't rely on him for the 3C role so he had to go.

I really like this move vs a buyout. It's a really smart cap move by GMJR. A buyout would be less impactful on the cap this year, but would carry an additional hit next year too. GMJR has said he wants to run 2-3M below the cap this year, because it's a flat cap and he needs to set aside money for next season to sign Marino. By clearing the Bjugstad hit now instead of spreading it over 2 seasons, he creates more space for next season when he really needs it. It doesn't hurt him to retain now because he wasn't going to spend to the cap anyway in order to preserve that cushion for Marino. This becomes that cushion.

I also like this for Minnesota. They get a lotto ticket for 2M that, if healthy, will contribute 40+ points as a 2C. If not, you LTIR him and move on.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man that's embarrassing for Bjugstad. Couldn't even get a 7th - it's conditional. Guy was given away.

Can't see how it's a bad deal for either team. Pens gain cap & Wild need centers.

With cap room at a premium, there should have been a better pick going to the Wild. Addition by subtraction for the Pens. Free cap space, even by retaining 50%.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Why does Minn do this though? (even though they paid nothing but 50% cap & salary) What's in it for them? That he possibly rebounds to a low end 3rd line W whose poor defensively & injury prone? Bizarre.

Get a "deal" on junk = it's still junk!

I'd have held out for at least a 3rd as a sweetener if I were B.Guerin, guess he did his old club a favor?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why does Minn do this though? (even though they paid nothing but 50% cap & salary) What's in it for them? That he possibly rebounds to a low end 3rd line W whose poor defensively & injury prone? Bizarre.

I'd have held out for at least a 3rd as a sweetener if I were B.Guerin, guess he did his old club a favor?

Exactly. Minnesota ended up relieving the Pens for nothing in the end.

Just cause the Wild have cap room, it doesn't justify squandering it.

Reactions: Morrison

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think having 2M extra cap space this offseason would've been better than using that on Bjugstad. Also yeah, they just kinda helped Pens too. You see this a lot though, where new GMs make nice guy deals (and deals in general) with their former employers. One of the telling signs of how incompetent the NHL business side run by former players who have been hit in the head too many times is.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Buyout cost more in real money but was a smaller cap hit for next year (only 600k).

Nick Bjugstad Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It was then 1.750 m in 2021-22. If money were no object feels like a team would prefer that to a 2.05 hit next year in terms of cap management.
This has nothing to do with an internal cap. They can't afford to have dead money next year with the Marino contract looming. GMJR said in the media he's going to make sure he goes into 2021-2022 with enough cap room to sign Marino, even if that means not spending to the cap this season. He's creating 2M in cap space for this year while ensuring there's no carryover next year. Love it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This has nothing to do with an internal cap. They can't afford to have dead money next year with the Marino contract looming. GMJR said in the media he's going to make sure he goes into 2021-2022 with enough cap room to sign Marino, even if that means not spending to the cap this season. He's creating 2M in cap space for this year while ensuring there's no carryover next year. Love it.

Even with retention, there is no real loss for the Pens -- any cap gained in the deal is a win.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
One of those guys whose only still in the league because they're tall.

Pretty low risk for the Wild, but still looks a little like Guerin doing a favour for his old organization.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

and if he doesn't, what he was just free?

what the hell lol

And if he does , its even worse. 35 pts (Ill take the under on 70 games since thats prob what the NHL will play anyway) isnt worth us getting rid of him and retaining 50% . 35 pts for bottom 6 is solid enough.

But I predict the Wild keep Galchenyuk on the cheap and those to pair up to put up 40-50 pts each lol. Because that would sum up JR's decision making lately. We are adding some good players but hes going overboard in the price to get them and now retaining on Bjugs before the season even started to see if he was gonna be healthy and could perform well for us...or at least build value to where we dont have to be bloated after moving him or maybe even a better return.

To Wild : 1st round, Calen Addison(potential to be PP QB type, a Letang lite), Galchenyuk, Bjugstad

To Pitt : Jason Zucker

I like Zucker but is the goal for us to win another cup or reward Guerin for his services and speed up their rebuild? Idc what people think of AG and Bjugs(we all know its what youve done lately on here, ignoring their pedigree and production from just 2 years ago) even if they arent long term solutions...I say they are good assets. Assets that JR ruined then got rid of.

Reactions: uncleben

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

They need centers desperately that’s why
they’re for sure losing one doubt galchenyuk comes back so right their that’s two and are also probably trying to avoid playing Vicror Rask.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
This is like when you used to be able to put a guy on "re-entry" waivers. If he got claimed under those rules his new team and old team split the salary.

Bjugstad got re-entry wavered by PIT, and now they split the cap hit with Minnesota.

I like this move for Guerin. Bjugstad could bounce back. Potentially a 40 point 3rd liner.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Buyout cost more in real money but was a smaller cap hit for next year (only 600k).

Nick Bjugstad Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It was then 1.750 m in 2021-22. If money were no object feels like a team would prefer that to a 2.05 hit next year in terms of cap management.

No the issue is 2021-2022. Then pens need money to sign Marino that year. They are making moves now for 2021-2022 with expectations of the cap still not going up. It is all about cap management.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wasn’t there someone on here a couple of weeks ago who thought Bjugstad could be a main piece for Laine? That hasn’t aged well.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

and if he doesn't, what he was just free?

what the hell lol

Oof.

Doing a RST and not securing anything is just a sign of laziness. Rutherford very clearly didn't even try to negotiate.

As if Guerin would have walked from this deal if JR said "make it a guaranteed 7" or if the condition was "make it a 6 if he gets 35 points, and a 7 if not", instead.

Like, try to imagine how little JR even tried if Guerin had the confidence to say, "Fine! But if he gets only 34 points, we're not giving you anything!"

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Oof.

Doing a RST and not securing anything is just a sign of laziness. Rutherford very clearly didn't even try to negotiate.

As if Guerin would have walked from this deal if JR said "make it a guaranteed 7" or if the condition was "make it a 6 if he gets 35 points", instead.

Like, try to imagine how little JR even tried if Guerin had the confidence to say, "Fine! But if he gets only 34 points, we're not giving you anything!"

I'm sure JR negotiating included things like: "do we have to retain a full 50%?" and "I'm just glad we save 2.6M in cash"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad