Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MIN] Nick Bjugstad (50% retained) for cond. 2021 7th round pick

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Based on my understanding of what happens when players are waived, this is a nonsensical trade for Pens. The Pens would have roughly 1.1 cap hit removed (league minimum 750k +350k) if Bjugstad is waived to the AHL (or some equivalent of it with Covid19). The Pens wasted a 1/3 of their salary retentions to effectively save 900k in cap hit (since they only obtain 2 mill through this trade).

This was a business decision because the owner was too cheap to pay Bjugstad.

Last edited:

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Based on my understanding of what happens when players are waived, this is a nonsensical trade for Pens. The Pens would have 1.5m cap hit removed if Bjugstad is waived to the AHL (or some equivalent of it with Covid19). The Pens wasted a 1/3 of their salary retentions to effectively save 500k in cap hit (since they only obtain 2 mill through this trade).

Buried contracts only clear 1.075m, so it saves 975k. But I agree, it looks more budget than cap clearing.

That said, if they are not willing to give up picks to clear the contract, they are not getting a better deal than this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bjudstad in the last 4 seasons has had 1 good one of 49 points 3 years ago with Fla. surrounding that he’s played 54, 64, and 13 games the other 3 seasons managing 14, 26 and 2 points those seasons.

in his 45 games with Pitt he’s put just 16 points. Clearly not a fit with them plus missing so many games. Not much of a savings but you have to consider that he hasn’t done mu recently to garner anything more.

pitt decided to cut bait.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Bjudstad in the last 4 seasons has had 1 good one of 49 points 3 years ago with Fla. surrounding that he’s played 54, 64, and 13 games the other 3 seasons managing 14, 26 and 2 points those seasons.

in his 45 games with Pitt he’s put just 16 points. Clearly not a fit with them plus missing so many games. Not much of a savings but you have to consider that he hasn’t done mu recently to garner anything more.

while his production is non existent in any aspect of the game he is still tall.
That’s all I got from the stay positive side of the table .

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Over his career Bjugstad has paced 18.1 goals over 82 games.
In his time in Pittsburgh Bjugstad paced 18.2 goals over 82 games.

He's the same player that he has always been. A solid middle 6 C/W that can't stay healthy. Pittsburgh couldn't afford the $4M cap hit while waiting to see if he would stay healthy.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Based on my understanding of what happens when players are waived, this is a nonsensical trade for Pens. The Pens would have roughly 1.1 cap hit removed (league minimum 750k +350k) if Bjugstad is waived to the AHL (or some equivalent of it with Covid19). The Pens wasted a 1/3 of their salary retentions to effectively save 900k in cap hit (since they only obtain 2 mill through this trade).

I mean 900k in cap space can go along way with a flat cap. I don't understand how this isn't a cap move?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Note to the people saying it's a good trade because it saves 2.1m in cap. It doesn't. He was still a warm body. You have to bring up someone to replace him on the roster who will cost a minimum of 750k.

So it's only 1.4m in savings.
He was useless last season. And I’d be surprised if we get that conditional pick for games played or points. Looks like he’s injured beyond his current contract. So ya he’d be a warm body in the press box. But I’d rather delete him and give someone else a try.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Opens a spot for Poulin also.

Also the worst kept secret was how they didn't want Bjugstad to start with and really only wanted McCann, hell just about every writter was reporting the Pens were shopping Bjugstad around since the start of last season and were gonna try to off load him this summer, mission accomplished, I could care if they get the pick or not to be honest, Bjugstad is possible the most forgettable player I've ever seen, hell there were large parts this year I completely forgot he was a member of the team, being injured constantly can do that.
This isn’t the first time I’ve hear pens fans banking on Poulin next year. I haven’t seen him so maybe he is capable of contributing next year, but how often does a player picked in the 20s come in and have an knock d+2?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What on earth is Minnesota doing ?
They should be rebuilding/tanking instead of being stuck forever in mediocrity of barely sneaking into the playoffs or barely missing the playoffs.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
They should be rebuilding/tanking instead of being stuck forever in mediocrity of barely sneaking into the playoffs or barely missing the playoffs.
What part of the team should they be rebuilding? Koivu, Granlund, Coyle, Zucker, Niederreiter, have been moved since last year. Likely that Dubnyk is gone this summer with the chance that Parise and Foligno follow. Fiala, Kaprizov, Zuccarello, Donato, Kunin, Greenway, Eriksson Ek, Sturm, Hartman, Bjugstad, Soucy, Kahkonen have all been brought into the lineup in the last 2 years. Sure would look better if they could find a 1st line center but oddly enough nobody's giving any away at the moment. Go figure :dunno:

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Are the Penguins trying to land a UFA with their cap space or just resign some of their own players? Are there rumors they are going after someone in free agency?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

It’s nearly impossible to rebuild when you have a Top 4 of Brodin, Suter, Spurgeon and Dumba with a very good #5 in Soucy.

Wild have way more young talent Up front that HF knows as well. Fiala, Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, Greenway, Boldy, Beckman, Khovanov etc.

Dumba likely gets moved for a young C and Wild don’t get league worst goaltending again and they will be in the mix in the Central.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
bad deal for minnesota. the guy isnt going to be an NHLer for long and pitt desperately needed to move cash out. they should have received more then they did to take him on (nothing). I dont get this, i dont get why Guerin helped them out. He's going to get hurt again, he's going to frustrate you and he's going to take up cap space time to time for next to no reason. Some will say they disagree, thats fine. I just dont get why he didnt get an asset back with Bjugstad for the 7th rounder. Poor assessment there. Guerin has done a decent job so far, this one was a failed attempt to get more for your cap space.

the only plus is hes a UFA after the year. i guess that helps Guerin's take but this trade is now even more nonsensical. you're hoping its a swing and a base hit or a hit to second and thats a 10% chance.

Reactions: 57special

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
bad deal for minnesota. the guy isnt going to be an NHLer for long and pitt desperately needed to move cash out. they should have received more then they did to take him on (nothing). I dont get this, i dont get why Guerin helped them out. He's going to get hurt again, he's going to frustrate you and he's going to take up cap space time to time for next to no reason. Some will say they disagree, thats fine. I just dont get why he didnt get an asset back with Bjugstad for the 7th rounder. Poor assessment there. Guerin has done a decent job so far, this one was a failed attempt to get more for your cap space.

the only plus is hes a UFA after the year. i guess that helps Guerin's take but this trade is now even more nonsensical. you're hoping its a swing and a base hit or a hit to second and thats a 10% chance.

If he gets hurt again we gave up nothing to get him. 2M in cap space? That's a pittance. We have way more than we need at this point. It's taking a chance on a guy who put up 49 points a couple seasons ago, just had surgery, and is supposedly healthy and ready to go. If it ends up that he is still useless for us, who cares. He's a UFA and we lose nothing from this move. It's a no risk, medium reward move.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The worst part about Bjugs is that he has all of the physical tools you could want in a center. That I think will end up keeping him employed way longer than he should be.

Problem is he f***ing sucks.

Reactions: 5 Hole

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is it that he sucks, or that he simply can't stay healthy? The list of his injuries seems endless. Just off the top of my head, there are multiple concussions, a hernia, groin, I think, back(herniated discs), wrist(broken?)...probably more.

This trade is simply not worth getting too worked up about. I just find myself disappointed that this is Guerin's solution to filling our Center position in 20-21. Pretty underwhelming. I guess I should brace myself for a re-signing of Staal to fill our Center spot in 21-22 and beyond.

Not his fault that MN finds itself in this position. Both Fletcher and Fenton are more to blame for ignoring the all important Center position in recent drafts, and in FA.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Is it that he sucks, or that he simply can't stay healthy? The list of his injuries seems endless. Just off the top of my head, there are multiple concussions, a hernia, groin, I think, back(herniated discs), wrist(broken?)...probably more.

This trade is simply not worth getting too worked up about. I just find myself disappointed that this is Guerin's solution to filling our Center position in 20-21. Pretty underwhelming. I guess I should brace myself for a re-signing of Staal to fill our Center spot in 21-22 and beyond.

Not his fault that MN finds itself in this position. Both Fletcher and Fenton are more to blame for ignoring the all important Center position in recent drafts, and in FA.

:facepalm:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Many seem to be looking at this move as way more significant than it really is. Bjugstad isn't Guerin's solution to anything in the top-6, he's an insurance policy in case everything else falls through, an improved negotiating position, and another right-shot forward added to Kunin and Hartman. That's it.

If his back surgery takes like Parise's did and we get one strong year out of him? Great, but even if Bjugstad falls apart and plays 0 games for Minnesota, at the cost of effectively nothing this is still a sensible move.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Are the Penguins trying to land a UFA with their cap space or just resign some of their own players? Are there rumors they are going after someone in free agency?

JR said he wants to clear space for FA in an Athletic article.

Unfortunately for Pens fans, that isn’t exactly positive news.

He doesn’t suck, but when he’s healthy you spend a lot of time wondering why he’s not much better than he actually is.

You just kind of have to experience it to understand.

It’s not like Minny got Jack Johnson, Bju won’t hurt them, in fact you won’t really notice him, good or bad.

Reactions: 5 Hole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad