Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MIN] Nick Bjugstad (50% retained) for cond. 2021 7th round pick

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Apparently if Bjug plays 70 games or scores 35 points, PIT gets the 7th. Anything less, PIT gets nothing. :facepalm:
He’s been utterly useless as a Penguin when on the ice. Which is a surprise anytime he can suit up. An athletes greatest ability is availability. But even when he is available he’s been useless. So I don’t care that we had to retain 50% he is addition by subtraction at this point.

Jun 15, 2007
Note to the people saying it's a good trade because it saves 2.1m in cap. It doesn't. He was still a warm body. You have to bring up someone to replace him on the roster who will cost a minimum of 750k.

So it's only 1.4m in savings.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Sound deal for minny. Low risk high reward.
For pit. Had to be done . Same some cap space. Some flex and change.
Not much more they could do with Nick.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
MN will need a rebuild year ... a move like this could turn into a 4th rounder at the deadline.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He’s been utterly useless as a Penguin when on the ice. Which is a surprise anytime he can suit up. An athletes greatest ability is availability. But even when he is available he’s been useless. So I don’t care that we had to retain 50% he is addition by subtraction at this point.

It allows Rutherford to make a crapy UFA signing ... he’s got balls but often makes crap signings like JJ

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Reminds me of one of my favorite threads of all time from the prospect board(circa 10 years ago)

Nick Bjugstad vs Brock Nelson vs Anders Lee
That early section where they call each other a snow drift (?) and a clown shoe, crap on each other college teams, Notre Dame and Minn, and have enormously detailed discussions about Minnesotan high school hockey is a very concentrated pure dose of Midwesternness.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Why do keep posting this and ignore the buyout cap hit in 2021-22 that you wouldn't have if you trade/retain? I'm pretty sure Pittsburgh is concerned about their cap in 2021-22.

The way I look at this trade is, how many teams in the current covid/flat cap environment would sign UFA Bjugstad for a cap hit of $2.05M (and actual cost of $2.625M)? My opinion is very few teams would do that given the injury history, etc. If the UFA market is limited at that cost, then the trade is actually pretty good for pittsburgh.

I actually give Rutherford credit. He's been aggressive and made moves early. It is only going to get harder to move salary as time goes on - other teams will start spending. And probably no team takes the full $4M cap hit. Better to have certainty now, even if you have to retain a bit more. I feel the same way about his trade for Kapanen. Arguably he overpaid, but he's added his piece early and can now make other plans (i.e., figuring out his goalie situation and other RFAs). Sometimes you pay more so that you can move on and not be stuck.
I posted it once... lol

And I mentioned lower annual salary. I understand there is one more year to it. But at no point would you have a cap hit as high as 50% retention. There's pros to both sides. But there is no denying JR gave no shit about his return. The fact that he didn't even secure a guaranteed 7th but instead attached it to contextually low percentage condition shows that he never cared about even trying to get a return.

He got out of the Bjugstad situation, and that's what he wanted, I get that.

Reactions: Riptide

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How can any Pens fans be unhappy with this deal? Surely you know that Bjugstad was nothing but a cap dump straight out of the Galchenyuk School of Suck? Does anyone think that he will play more than 15 games, or get more than 10 points?

2-3 years ago Bjugstad still had a bit of the shine of potential attached to him. Now all he has is potential for additional surgeries.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
How can any Pens fans be unhappy with this deal? Surely you know that Bjugstad was nothing but a cap dump straight out of the Galchenyuk School of Suck? Does anyone think that he will play more than 15 games, or get more than 10 points?

2-3 years ago Bjugstad still had a bit of the shine of potential attached to him. Now all he has is potential for additional surgeries.

Opens a spot for Poulin also.

Also the worst kept secret was how they didn't want Bjugstad to start with and really only wanted McCann, hell just about every writter was reporting the Pens were shopping Bjugstad around since the start of last season and were gonna try to off load him this summer, mission accomplished, I could care if they get the pick or not to be honest, Bjugstad is possible the most forgettable player I've ever seen, hell there were large parts this year I completely forgot he was a member of the team, being injured constantly can do that.

Reactions: That1Kid

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If he gets healthy, he can be a solid 3rd line contributor for minny....to go with the 12 other 3rd liners they have ;)

Seems like a decent trade for both teams, obvi the pens clear cap and open up a roster spot for a poulin or even a guy like lafferty to carve out a bottom 6 role and minny gives up basically nothing to try and ressurect a once promising career.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sports hernias and herniated discs are not easy injuries to recover from, and it's not like Bjugstad was healthy before these. Concussions, bad wrist... Physicians in the Twin cities are Clearing their schedules.
Hard to think of two any more lame NHL Centers than Victor Rask and Bjugstad. I know some will have fond memories of the latter from his Gopher days. This smacks of Guerin pretending to do something, while basically treading water for the 2020-21 season while trying to get rid of some of the deadwood. If fans aren't allowed to attend games, I don't see why he even bothers with the the pretense. Could've saved his boss some money and gone with Sturm and Rask.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Note to the people saying it's a good trade because it saves 2.1m in cap. It doesn't. He was still a warm body. You have to bring up someone to replace him on the roster who will cost a minimum of 750k.

true, but we can now bring that someone in.:nod:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Yes if he took up a roster spot then that spot needs to be replaced by someone else.

So if this move is to shift some of NB’s cap hit to someone else it would be around $1.2 mill five or take.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

So basically keep paying over 4m for a warm body that never really contributed?

Sound logic.

Literally anyone else they dump into the lineup would help more than a guy who was either in the press box or barely scored on the rare occasions he was healthy.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Umm ... what?

Pit traded their 2017 1st rounder for Reaves and a 2nd (Lauzon who wasnt even signed)

They then traded Reaves + their 2018 first rounder for Brassard

Brassard was then moved for Bjugstad (who was turned into a conditonal 7th) and McCann

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh

Let me put it in a way you'll understand:

Imagine if Michael Sgarbossa Made 4 more million dollars than he does right now, played in 9 more games, had 1 more goal and assist last year and you're off the hook for 2 million of those cap dollars next year enabling you to improve your team for absolutely nothing.

You would be ecstatic.

Reactions: duckpuck

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Actually, no. He had no spot on the current roster, so was like 14th or 15th on the depth chart making over $4 million.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Actually, no. He had no spot on the current roster, so was like 14th or 15th on the depth chart making over $4 million.
If he is not on the roster he would still count over $3 mill against the cap as you get just over $1 mill in cap relief to replace his roster spot. So instead of eating that $3 mill you slash that by another $1 mill.

the point the poster was making was to point out that the true cap savings is Net of the cost to replace his roster spot if he was on the team. If he was not you still lost the $1 mill in cap relief which is basically the cost to replace his roster spot unless you go much cheaper.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If he is not on the roster he would still count over $3 mill against the cap as you get just over $1 mill in cap relief to replace his roster spot. So instead of eating that $3 mill you slash that by another $1 mill.

the point the poster was making was to point out that the true cap savings is Net of the cost to replace his roster spot if he was on the team. If he was not you still lost the $1 mill in cap relief which is basically the cost to replace his roster spot unless you go much cheaper.

What? His roster spot is already replaced, and the Pens are still on the hook for $4.1 million of his salary. With him gone, there's no "replacement" that has to be made. No one has to be called up or signed in free agency. That money is just gone.

For example, a guy like Lafferty is already up as his replacement because Bjugstad is always hurt. So let's call that roster spot "Position 12". Position 12 actually costs the Pens Lafferty's salary plus Bjugstad's salary. So this move removes the "Bjugstad" part of the salary. It doesn't add anything because Lafferty's salary was already there.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NHL roster is 23 players. So whether he’s the 12th-14th forward he is still on the roster so he would count $4.1 mill against the salary cap.
If he were instead demoted to the A you would replace him as the 14th forward with someone else. Sending him to the A only saves them $1 mill in cap space as he would count $3 mill while playing in the A. That $1 mill in cap relief you would be spending most of it on whomever takes his spot as the 14th forward.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What? His roster spot is already replaced, and the Pens are still on the hook for $4.1 million of his salary. With him gone, there's no "replacement" that has to be made. No one has to be called up or signed in free agency. That money is just gone.

For example, a guy like Lafferty is already up as his replacement because Bjugstad is always hurt. So let's call that roster spot "Position 12". Position 12 actually costs the Pens Lafferty's salary plus Bjugstad's salary. So this move removes the "Bjugstad" part of the salary. It doesn't add anything because Lafferty's salary was already there.

Lafferty isn’t signed. But whatever. Your point still stands. Hawks fans trying to dunk on PIT because they gave away a prime TT and Panarin for cap space and Brandon Saad.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
NHL roster is 23 players. So whether he’s the 12th-14th forward he is still on the roster so he would count $4.1 mill against the salary cap.
If he were instead demoted to the A you would replace him as the 14th forward with someone else. Sending him to the A only saves them $1 mill in cap space as he would count $3 mill while playing in the A. That $1 mill in cap relief you would be spending most of it on whomever takes his spot as the 14th forward.

You're completely missing my point.

Bjugstad has no spot on this roster. The Pens have a full 14 forwards already without him (or will), so they're already paying all 14 players their salaries. There's no one being called up to "replace" Bjugstad because he wasn't going to have a spot anyway. That player is ALREADY accounted for and his salary will ALREADY counting toward the cap, regardless if Bjugstad was still around. Bjugstad was just taking up salary cap space because he didn't actually have a spot in that 14 player roster group.

You're talking about Bjugstad as though he was the 4C and now the Pens have to replace his spot on the roster with at least a guy from the minors to play 4C when in fact Bjugstad was wasted cap space because he wasn't even the 14th forward. Now that cap space (or half of it) is off the books instead of adding to the Pens' cap along with the other 14 guys who actually have a spot on the roster.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->