Recalled/Assigned: Pirri the yoyo - Current Status :UP - WTF Is going on?

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
For those of you crying foul, we are a second year team with two drafts under our belt. While losing someone like Lindberg or Carpenter doesn't seem like much, for depth so little we have to do at all possible to get a little something on every transaction we make. On the NHL roster, yes we are loaded with bottom six forwards. But big picture if we can get a little something for these guys the better position we will be as we build organizational depth. 5-10 games of "showcasing" is a small price to pay for the big picture.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think a bit of patience is needed, On a base level it gets you fuming mad that Pirri got sent down. But you need to look a little further than that. Vegas right now will need to make the decisions they ideally would have liked to in October. But Schmidts suspension and anyone who ever touched the 2nd line getting injured did not allow us that luxury. I think that's where we are at now, Schmidts back, everyone but Haula and sort of Miller is back and it gives us a bit more freedom to make the moves we couldn't earlier. I do believe them when the say Pirri is back, but he and Tuch were the only two who go down without having to clear waivers and Pirri was the less intrusive of the two.

Reactions: willy702

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think a bit of patience is needed, On a base level it gets you fuming mad that Pirri got sent down. But you need to look a little further than that. Vegas right now will need to make the decisions they ideally would have liked to in October. But Schmidts suspension and anyone who ever touched the 2nd line getting injured did not allow us that luxury. I think that's where we are at now, Schmidts back, everyone but Haula and sort of Miller is back and it gives us a bit more freedom to make the moves we couldn't earlier. I do believe them when the say Pirri is back, but he and Tuch were the only two who go down without having to clear waivers and Pirri was the less intrusive of the two.

It would seem sense to try to get something for one of our extra forwards but then why get Zykov who we don't need? Gusev will not be convinced by that and he has to come through Vegas one way or the other to ever play in the NHL.

I can't see anyone picking up Lindberg for anything and losing a player like that to waivers is no big deal. Didn't we lose Carpenter to waivers and get him back last season? Didn't the Ducks lose Wagner a few years back when he was playing well as a 4C and get him back a month or two later? These players are not worth the hassle.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
It would seem sense to try to get something for one of our extra forwards but then why get Zykov who we don't need? Gusev will not be convinced by that and he has to come through Vegas one way or the other to ever play in the NHL.

I can't see anyone picking up Lindberg for anything and losing a player like that to waivers is no big deal. Didn't we lose Carpenter to waivers and get him back last season? Didn't the Ducks lose Wagner a few years back when he was playing well as a 4C and get him back a month or two later? These players are not worth the hassle.
Personally I think Zykov is there to get a young righty shot for the third line. Nosek, Lindberg, Eakin, Carrier, Pirri, Haula (when healthy) are all lefties. Only righty (Other than Reaves) is Ryan Carpenter. Might just try to balance the ice a little and give more options when tweaking the lineup.

Reactions: hangman005

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

Zykov, I don't fully understand, if I were to wildly guess, I might suggest he's there maybe to try and rectify mistakes made when Ship was here, he'd likely have an idea as to what would help another Russian player with the transition here, looking at Gusev in the future, to ensure the same mistakes aren't made again. But that is a wild guess, also a bit of a waste of a roster spot.

Carpenter... Not that I know of. He was with the sharks, we claimed him. I think there are teams out there that could make use of Carpenter or Lindberg and if we can get something for them, it's far better than giving them away free.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Zykov, I don't fully understand, if I were to wildly guess, I might suggest he's there maybe to try and rectify mistakes made when Ship was here, he'd likely have an idea as to what would help another Russian player with the transition here, looking at Gusev in the future, to ensure the same mistakes aren't made again. But that is a wild guess, also a bit of a waste of a roster spot.

Carpenter... Not that I know of. He was with the sharks, we claimed him. I think there are teams out there that could make use of Carpenter or Lindberg and if we can get something for them, it's far better than giving them away free.

I just don't see anyone giving up anything to get Lindberg. Someone may want Carpenter or Nosek and be willing to give up a 5th or 4th rounder but I'd rather keep those two and lose Lindberg for free.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I just don't see anyone giving up anything to get Lindberg. Someone may want Carpenter or Nosek and be willing to give up a 5th or 4th rounder but I'd rather keep those two and lose Lindberg for free.
Lindberg I'd trade, I think we could potentially get a 5th from him, Carpenter I'm not adverse to keeping or losing, but I know I'd prefer to keep Nosek.... and Merrill, if he's in the sun he I don't think he takes a roster spot anymore, but I don't see GMGM firing him in there.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I think it is more of a struggle with two spots needing to free with Miller coming back soon. Also on defense with Brannstrom & others possibly ready to make the jump in the near future. It is a big predicament to be in. Gotta get return when outside of our NHL roster, there is little organizational depth compared to other teams.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Lindberg I'd trade, I think we could potentially get a 5th from him, Carpenter I'm not adverse to keeping or losing, but I know I'd prefer to keep Nosek.... and Merrill, if he's in the sun he I don't think he takes a roster spot anymore, but I don't see GMGM firing him in there.

I mean, it seems like everyone except Gallant and GMGM would ideally just have Merrill go away but for some reason they value him way too much.

A lot of this is pointless to a degree because I don't think any of Zykov, Carpenter, Lindberg are on this team next year because we have way too many third liners or young players who will need spots but Pirri might have a place here depending on if Gusev doesn't play here or if Haula is still injured or what happens with him or what we do with Eakin.

I don't think an extra 5th or 4th really makes a world of difference to the organization when weighed against possibly cooling down a good now asset in Pirri.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I mean, it seems like everyone except Gallant and GMGM would ideally just have Merrill go away but for some reason they value him way too much.

A lot of this is pointless to a degree because I don't think any of Zykov, Carpenter, Lindberg are on this team next year because we have way too many third liners or young players who will need spots but Pirri might have a place here depending on if Gusev doesn't play here or if Haula is still injured or what happens with him or what we do with Eakin.

I don't think an extra 5th or 4th really makes a world of difference to the organization when weighed against possibly cooling down a good now asset in Pirri.
Yeah I don't understand their Merrill love it's weird.

I'm not too concerned about Pirri cooling down, I expect him to resume tearing up the AHL in the interim, But I do agree with your point above... Maybe Carpy will have an opportunity to remain as a back up, but in my eyes they are fairly expendable.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah I don't understand their Merrill love it's weird.

I'm not too concerned about Pirri cooling down, I expect him to resume tearing up the AHL in the interim, But I do agree with your point above... Maybe Carpy will have an opportunity to remain as a back up, but in my eyes they are fairly expendable.

I also just think it sends a bad message because Pirri really has been pretty defensively responsible and worked on that part of his game without any detriment to what he does best in put up points.

What more could you want a player to do? Does this adversely impact our ability to sign Pirri type players in the future because they don't feel there's a path beyond GMGM and Gallant favorites?

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Well he is going to be an unrestricted free agent. If he keeps scoring goals he might start becoming too expensive to keep. 9 goals in 9 games so far and what if he puts up close to another 20 in the second half of the season? Perhaps finances are at play here?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Why was piri sent down?

Attitude problems?
giphy.gif

He was called up to fill in for an injured player. They just came off IR so someone had to go. He shouldn't have been sent back but he was and this is why.

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
For those of you crying foul, we are a second year team with two drafts under our belt. While losing someone like Lindberg or Carpenter doesn't seem like much, for depth so little we have to do at all possible to get a little something on every transaction we make. On the NHL roster, yes we are loaded with bottom six forwards. But big picture if we can get a little something for these guys the better position we will be as we build organizational depth. 5-10 games of "showcasing" is a small price to pay for the big picture.
Is that you, George?
I understand why Pirri was sent down. I would never wish an injury on a player, but maybe someone can catch the flu so Pirri gets called back up and plays 3 more games. THEN they have some tough decisions to make.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@GKG18 actually , decision time is after two more games.

Sin Bin had an article/blog on picking up Zykov in part to help fill in the "age gap"/experience in the organization.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
@GKG18 actually , decision time is after two more games.

Sin Bin had an article/blog on picking up Zykov in part to help fill in the "age gap"/experience in the organization.

If they really picked up a player because they fit in to an age range of 22-25 then I question their judgment. However, because Zykov is now on the team that gives them more room to waive Lindberg or Carpenter.

I don't think a possible 140th pick (who would have about a 1% chance of ever playing 1 regular season game for Vegas let alone anything of significance) should be such a carrot that we make this more complicated than it needs to be for us.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Age gap is interesting. I think it is curious to take chances like this if a guy like Zykov clicks

But we already have someone who clicks with the team who we separated from the team, who is like three years older, not some old man.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
But we already have someone who clicks with the team who we separated from the team, who is like three years older, not some old man.
This isn't for now. This is for years down the line. 3-4 years from now we don't want nearly all our players towards 30+. Need to fill in the gaps however you can. Other UFAs will be on the outs shortly.

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
giphy.gif

He was called up to fill in for an injured player. They just came off IR so someone had to go. He shouldn't have been sent back but he was and this is why.
Was trying to explain to a friend who thinks he was tearing it up but only got sent back for having attitude problems

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This isn't for now. This is for years down the line. 3-4 years from now we don't want nearly all our players towards 30+. Need to fill in the gaps however you can. Other UFAs will be on the outs shortly.

I highly doubt Zykov will be on this team in 3 or 4 years.

There will be players between now and then that fit in that age range, from free agents to waiver pickups to college players to draft picks. Some players we have could maintain their usefulness even as they age. I don't think we should worry about that gap, it isn't a big deal.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I highly doubt Zykov will be on this team in 3 or 4 years.

There will be players between now and then that fit in that age range, from free agents to waiver pickups to college players to draft picks. Some players we have could maintain their usefulness even as they age. I don't think we should worry about that gap, it isn't a big deal.
It's not that he will be, it is that he might be. It is all out finding pieces. Not everything is black and white until you see how it works. Especially after hearing Gallant speak about the first time he was on waivers, it shows that the team had an interest in this player. Point is he is 23, has shown he can be skillful but has yet to show it in the NHL. Maybe he could be a diamond in the rough, or maybe he is a guy that plays 5 games with us with zero points. Just makes it a little more interesting.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's not that he will be, it is that he might be. It is all out finding pieces. Not everything is black and white until you see how it works. Especially after hearing Gallant speak about the first time he was on waivers, it shows that the team had an interest in this player. Point is he is 23, has shown he can be skillful but has yet to show it in the NHL. Maybe he could be a diamond in the rough, or maybe he is a guy that plays 5 games with us with zero points. Just makes it a little more interesting.

I'm actually not against giving him a chance but we've seen with Pirri even if he grabs it GMGM might still prioritize maybe getting a 6th round pick for Lindberg over him. He did this same garbage early last season and it didn't net us anything.

Mostly, since we have Zykov now, that makes Lindberg (the worst of Nosek, Carpenter and Lindberg) even more expendable. Just waive him or deal with the defense issue instead of overcomplicating things for yourself.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
We got exactly everything we could have hoped from Pirri, performance at the right moment.

He'll get his contract (somewhere) that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad