Recalled/Assigned: Pirri the yoyo - Current Status :UP - WTF Is going on?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Why though?

Seems like adding a little extra complication that doesn't really need to be there. It's not like Pirri gets damaged by the whole thing, he's still getting his NHL pay and ice time for the games he's up instead of getting thrown into the minors and watching Hyka play the Sharks.
Because teams should not benefit from situations they put themselves in. The same reason if I intentionally shot myself in the foot I shouldn't be able to draw any insurance or benefits to cover the loss of income. The same reason teams still get hit with cap penalties for signing players to awful contracts. This wasn't a case of inconvenience, this was the team deliberately putting itself in a position so the can utilize rules in place for teams who have the misfortune of ending up their.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Because teams should not benefit from situations they put themselves in. The same reason if I intentionally shot myself in the foot I shouldn't be able to draw any insurance or benefits to cover the loss of income. The same reason teams still get hit with cap penalties for signing players to awful contracts. This wasn't a case of inconvenience, this was the team deliberately putting itself in a position so the can utilize rules in place for teams who have the misfortune of ending up their.
They put themselves in this situation playing him in any of the past eight games he played as much as sending him down and back up yesterday. I guess I don't see the damaged party where this requires anything to change, and it's really hard to prove intent. Plus, this is all in the CBA anyway.

The fact is that most of these little loopholes help everyone involved, team and player. Pirri gets to collect more $650,000/year NHL checks instead of sitting in Chicago making $250,000/year waiting for the roster expansion and Vegas gets to play Pirri.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Seriously- Oscar Lindberg make $1.7M. I think he's safe to waive. No one is going to claim him. And congrats to sinbin for getting the 'scoop' and making GMGM look bad. The clock is ticking on that media credential.....

Reactions: Boris Zubov

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Pirri has now played in 10 games. So, should the organization want to assign him to AHL Chicago, he'd have to clear waivers.

(I kinda think they won't be)

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Seriously- Oscar Lindberg make $1.7M. I think he's safe to waive. No one is going to claim him. And congrats to sinbin for getting the 'scoop' and making GMGM look bad. The clock is ticking on that media credential.....

I wish sinbin ken would be booted like they did to sheng peng. I really dislike the local media coverage of vgk for the most part. Ryan the hockey guy is pretty good imho. Granger, sin bin ken, and the fat slob from the rj are all brutal.

And yes no one will pick up Lindberg and if they do I'd be thrilled to get his payroll off the books to possibly make a run at someone really good as a rental even though I think that might be a bad idea for the long term.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I wish sinbin ken would be booted like they did to sheng peng. I really dislike the local media coverage of vgk for the most part. Ryan the hockey guy is pretty good imho. Granger, sin bin ken, and the fat slob from the rj are all brutal.

And yes no one will pick up Lindberg and if they do I'd be thrilled to get his payroll off the books to possibly make a run at someone really good as a rental even though I think that might be a bad idea for the long term.
Granger is all right imo. It shocks me that Ken has a press pass. I thought those were for journalists.

Sheng Peng moved to sfo, they didn't pull his pass. In fact, he joined the media scrum the first time we played sjs.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The thing I'm concerned with is not letting the young Ds get games in after the trade deadline. I've lost all hope of Brannstrom coming up and sticking with the club, but as long as both Hague and Brannstrom get around 5 NHL games this year to get their feet wet they should have a better idea of who to add (or subtract) in the summer.

That way there's the option of giving them a couple of playoff games without burning off their ELC.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
It's easy to be critical of the media and this isn't the place to pile on sinbin, but if you listen to post game, Turk has given up concealing his animosity toward Ken. I think old school sports people take issue with the new wave of carpetbaggers who never cut their teeth in journalism the way they used to and use their blog, which costs next to nothing to run, as a legitimate platform. Maybe someone has done a dissertation on this already, please link it if that is the case.
Carp is a good beat writer, so I'll have to disagree on that point.

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
It's easy to be critical of the media and this isn't the place to pile on sinbin, but if you listen to post game, Turk has given up concealing his animosity toward Ken. I think old school sports people take issue with the new wave of carpetbaggers who never cut their teeth in journalism the way they used to and use their blog, which costs next to nothing to run, as a legitimate platform. Maybe someone has done a dissertation on this already, please link it if that is the case.
Carp is a good beat writer, so I'll have to disagree on that point.
Just out of curiosity, how did Ken become a “journalist” for VGK? Any idea? Was it really just as simple as buying a godaddy domain for $11, saying “I am now a journalist” and then getting credentials to the fortress to watch all VGK games for free?

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
This is the question. Maybe a thread can be started on the subject. As a market new to major league sports, we could use some educating on the general flow of information vis a vis who determines credibility in regards to coverage of the team to mass media.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Seemed like SinBin was the first blogger to get on the bandwagon when the team became a possibility. Somehow he managed to get access to Foley by kissing his ass & naming him the "Creator".

I stopped reading him almost as soon as I started, but I do recall he used to note on the site that he knew nothing about hockey before the team showed up here. Anyone reading him who takes him as a legitimate sports writer obviously didn't watch hockey prior to the Knights.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it's not as if Ken just showed up with a blog and no real training to cover the hockey team. Dude's got a degree in journalism from one of the best journalism schools in the country.

I think the issue is too much content. When you always have to pump out content, you're going to miss fairly often. Karp's got the perfect setup right now, drop two articles a week and stay off social media for the most part.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
And now Carp has a story on how fabulous Merrill is. Am I elitist to want my opinions to come from someone who at least knows how to ice skate?

Reactions: Knightmare

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I think it’s a bit of a two pronged thing. First I’d imagine that the pool of people in Vegas who are able to write hockey is still pretty limited. Aside from the media outlets poaching reporters from other markets, we’ll need to grow our own. Ken is passionate, he has a degree in journalism, I think if he can find out how to combine both, he’ll get better. Hopefully in time too he becomes more knowledgeable about hockey and why Jon Merrill sucks :laugh:

And BattleBorn touched on the 2nd, too much content, you can have the most knowledgeable and connected person reporting but if they are putting out several things a day, you can expect there to be a lot of crap in their. I think much like developing players Vegas needs to develop its hockey journalism and that will take a bit of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad