Recalled/Assigned: Pirri the yoyo - Current Status :UP - WTF Is going on?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I'm sure there's a reason.

The league probably counts roster days at a certain time that occurs while he was "on" Chicago's roster.
I hope there is a reason... because it's really really really really strange.

Or is GMGM just teasing the rest of the League. "Look awesome player... send down... no waivers"

Reactions: Nevada Jones

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I was wondering the same thing. I've seen teams do things like this for cap reasons. With seven million and change available I don't know why Vegas would be doing it but there you go...
Could be getting ready to trade for a big ticket player and want to freeze the current cap hit so the math works.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Could be getting ready to trade for a big ticket player and want to freeze the current cap hit so the math works.

What big trade could we make that would make us better and make sense? Panarin? Pietrangelo?

And what would we give up from the roster? Miller in injured. Smith? Eakin?

I can't think of a big trade that makes sense for us.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What big trade could we make that would make us better and make sense? Panarin? Pietrangelo?

And what would we give up from the roster? Miller in injured. Smith? Eakin?

I can't think of a big trade that makes sense for us.

3 way deal. VGK gets __, sends out ___, Pirri has to be sent down.
Deal gets nixed last minute. Just kidding, Brandon. Come back from the airport.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Saw some speculating on twitter that it was something involving Subban... pretty much because he was sick. I'm guessing somethings in the works but I think there are those out there connecting dots that aren't there.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Saw some speculating on twitter that it was something involving Subban... pretty much because he was sick. I'm guessing somethings in the works but I think there are those out there connecting dots that aren't there.

so...you're telling me the Knights have traded for Bobrovsky and Panarin?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
3 way deal. VGK gets __, sends out ___, Pirri has to be sent down.
Deal gets nixed last minute. Just kidding, Brandon. Come back from the airport.

But if somebody on the roster was going the other way why would Pirri need to be involved at all?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So did Pirri get called back because someone else was ruled out with an injury today and they suddenly needed another forward (Smith, Eakin and Carrier all out of the lineup) rather than a possible trade scenario.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
To be honest... this is a stupid application of the rule. I'm happy that Pirri played, and would be happy if were already playing in the AHL to be emergency recalled, but to send him down which puts you in an emergency recall situation so you can emergency recall him is stupid and I think this loophole should be closed. Well done GMGM for finding and utilizing it, but it's stupid and should never be allowed to happen again.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
To be honest... this is a stupid application of the rule. I'm happy that Pirri played, and would be happy if were already playing in the AHL to be emergency recalled, but to send him down which puts you in an emergency recall situation so you can emergency recall him is stupid and I think this loophole should be closed. Well done GMGM for finding and utilizing it, but it's stupid and should never be allowed to happen again.
I disagree. There's a major difference between giving someone a look in the NHL and needing someone up because there's an injury emergency. Closing the loophole likely means getting rid of the emergency call up process, and that's a disaster for anyone.

We need emergency call ups, and a player's position on the roster shouldn't impact the process. No matter what happened yesterday, we we down Eakin and needed someone. We just happened to have this Zykov cat scratched for the last couple games ready to step in.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I disagree. There's a major difference between giving someone a look in the NHL and needing someone up because there's an injury emergency. Closing the loophole likely means getting rid of the emergency call up process, and that's a disaster for anyone.

We need emergency call ups, and a player's position on the roster shouldn't impact the process. No matter what happened yesterday, we we down Eakin and needed someone. We just happened to have this Zykov cat scratched for the last couple games ready to step in.

Aren't you *always* going to have someone like Zykov ready to step in because no team is carrying less players than they are allowed on their roster. We were never carrying more players than we were allowed.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Aren't you *always* going to have someone like Zykov ready to step in because no team is carrying less players than they are allowed on their roster. We were never carrying more players than we were allowed.
Theoretically, yes.

However, if we take yesterday's situation and the team sent Pirri down and then discovered Eakin was not able to skate they'd have to ice 11 forwards while also not having too many players on the roster.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Theoretically, yes.

However, if we take yesterday's situation and the team sent Pirri down and then discovered Eakin was not able to skate they'd have to ice 11 forwards while also not having too many players on the roster.

A lot of this stuff flies right over my head so I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. If this helps them not send Pirri down I think it's what's best for the team.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

I'm not saying Emergency Call Ups need to go, I'm say they need to put a rule in place that a player sent down to the AHL can not be emergency recalled with 12 hours of being sent down. Any other play in the minors could still be recalled, but if the Knights wanted Pirri to play it shouldn't count as an Emergency, as it only entered that situation because they sent him down.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Minimum roster is 20 players (nominally 2G, 6D, 12F; or 2G and 18 skaters) for cap reasons.

So, if you're less than 2G and 18 skaters, you can do an emergency recall (if you have the cap space available).

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm not saying Emergency Call Ups need to go, I'm say they need to put a rule in place that a player sent down to the AHL can not be emergency recalled with 12 hours of being sent down. Any other play in the minors could still be recalled, but if the Knights wanted Pirri to play it shouldn't count as an Emergency, as it only entered that situation because they sent him down.
Why though?

Seems like adding a little extra complication that doesn't really need to be there. It's not like Pirri gets damaged by the whole thing, he's still getting his NHL pay and ice time for the games he's up instead of getting thrown into the minors and watching Hyka play the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad