Rumor: Pierre-Luc Dubois

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
PLD would be awesome, but they would need our best center back in return. They need centers as bad (or worse) than we do. We're not trading our captain.

Trade doesn't work.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't understand the idea of a Laine for Dubois (as the heart of the deal)

1) Laine playing for Torts seems like an obvious train wreck
2) Winnipeg is probably one of ~5 cities in the league less desirable to play in than Columbus

I admit that Laine going to the Finnish GM's team makes some bit of sense

I also admit that Winnipeg has wanted to have two top 6Cs at the same time since the Thrashers came into the league

But ultimately I just don't see this as a match outside of the two players wanting out

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I get the logic, but consider this:

Mantha 50-70pt (very likely he hits ~70 when we're competitive in a few yrs, or sooner)
Veleno 2/3C tweener, 2way, young, cheap, fast+zone entries etc.
35-50pt projection. Likely hits ~50 when we're competitive in a few yrs, possibly sooner)

So taking their baselines 50+35=85pt player vs.PLD peak maybe 70-80max; career avg. of 54.2 pts/82, including 2yrs playing with Panarin, Duchene etc.

Now peaks: 70+50=120pt. player vs. PLD peak ~70-80max.

Mantha for PLD, slight add on our end (Hirose +3rd + Tuomisto). Otherwise not interested with PLD's attitude, or at least how he handled the last few days. Yzerman won't tolerate it either.

Veleno can’t even put up that kind of pace in a lesser league. You’re being way too optimistic about him.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Veleno can’t even put up that kind of pace in a lesser league. You’re being way too optimistic about him.
He is young and developing. Kopitar scored 20 points in 47 games in Sweden the year before scoring 61 for LA nearly doubling his PPG in more competitive league.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I dont see Laine a better longterm fit in Columbus, Ohio under Torts then PLD.

It dosent make sense.

Laine to Philly
PLD to LA

Now those make sense

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
You're a candidate for the Sex Panther Cologne Club. Works 60% of the time, 100% of the time. Guaranteed, or your next 1/2 gallon is Free!! Not available in stores, but I know a guy.
I wonder if it still has bits of real panther in it. The IBCCASBSA (International Big Cat Cologne, After Shave and Body Spray Association) has been cracking down on that shit since the Axe Siberian Tiger scandal.

I gotta think that CBJ need a top 6 center back. Maybe SY is working on a 3-way deal, though those rarely happen.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
The thought of Laine in Cbj is hysterical in my opinion. Torts will either need to completely change who he is, get rid of Torts too, or trade Laine for pieces that better fit the system.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dont see Laine a better longterm fit in Columbus, Ohio under Torts then PLD.

It dosent make sense.

Laine to Philly
PLD to LA

Now those make sense

Does Jarmo think he can get Laine to buy-in? Laine isn't necessarily a big city guy, he has a huge personality but what I understand about him is that he loves hockey and video games. He doesn't mind giving a juicy quote, but he will be the guy along with the big two defenders. He will get 1st line and big PP minutes, Columbus desperately needs scoring and this puts a top 5 pure goal scorer in the league and lets Atkinson a very good goal scorer on the second line giving them perhaps more goal scoring depth and some matchup leverage. The loss of PLD will significantly hurt them down the middle, but I can see why they would do it.

Torts won't play the guy that is there, we can speculate that he won't get along with Laine but what Laine is beefing about is being stuck behind Wheeler. It isn't completely malcontent, he wants to be the guy, I don't love it but it is different than what PLD is doing. I like PLD, but he took a hit for me the other night, I hate seeing a guy do what he did, heck of a player but that shift is going to stick with me for a while. I would be interested in getting him, but man if he can quit on you it gives me a lot more pause than I used to have in terms of talking about acquiring him at the price being rumored.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This seems like a bad trade for both teams...

CBJ gets great value, but do they really think Laine will stick around? Same with PLD in Winnipeg

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
That’s a great deal for CBJ. Laine is a piece they can build around. I think they need to get a new coach if they are going to make it work.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
This seems like a bad trade for both teams...

CBJ gets great value, but do they really think Laine will stick around? Same with PLD in Winnipeg

Laine is going to want out ASAP.

Isn't Laine unhappy because he's not getting enough minutes? Or its here more to it?

Because in CBJ he'll be the top dog which I think he might like. Not sure about Torts tho...

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
If this trade between Winnipeg and the Beejers actually happens: This is an opportunity for a team with a lot of cap space (you know who) to acquire Laine in a couple of years as a free agent. Because I doubt he'll see all first-line minutes for the CBJ.

But we could guarantee him first-line minutes. We have no one in our entire system with a chance in Hell of becoming Patrick Laine. By then we should have a pretty promising young team, adding Laine would be the cherry on top of the rebuild.

I suppose PLD might want out of Winnipeg in a couple of years too, but Montreal can have him and his shitty attitude.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
This reminds me of the trade in which CBJ acquired Seth Jones for Johannson. CBJ piled the hype on Ryan Johannson, like he was the second coming of Cindy Crysby, and landed one of the top #1 D-men in the game, who's also a good character and locker room guy.

Here they traded a cancer and got back one of the best pure scorers in the league.

I'm just hoping Tortorella doesn't keep Laine happy for the next 2 years, so we have a chance of snagging him for $9 million a year and 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad