Rumor: Pierre-Luc Dubois

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

It seems like this probably needs its own thread at this point.

I don't see how we can put a competitive offer together. They are set on D and at wing but are thin at center before moving PLD. They need a young top 6 C coming back for Dubois. We won't trade Larkin for him and after that we have a whole lot of nothing for centers. The best offer I can see us putting together would be something like Rasmussen/Veleno and Mantha for Dubois and I have to imagine Columbus can get an offer of comparable value that includes a better center than Ras.

Reactions: Astyanax

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The price is way too high for him in my opinion. As of now, he is a 50 pt player, which I wouldn't be thrilled giving up a lot to acquire. Maybe he gets going, but not like he is as good as the hype he gets. Even here, some of you are saying he is better than Larkin, and to that I ask, HOW?

Reactions: White Death 24

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Ive said it before Ill say it again, I just don't see how can make a deal that won't gut us in the process. I definitely definitely like to see dubois in a wings jersey, but I wont hold my breath.

Good on Yzerman for exploring these kind of options though.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah...I can't see Detroit being seriously in on this. I bet Stevie has inquired, but the asking price is probably too much. Would probably set us back a year or two in our development cycle.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The price is way too high for him in my opinion. As of now, he is a 50 pt player, which I wouldn't be thrilled giving up a lot to acquire. Maybe he gets going, but not like he is as good as the hype he gets. Even here, some of you are saying he is better than Larkin, and to that I ask, HOW?
Well I think it's pretty debatable. They had almost identical production last year and Dubois is two years younger. Dubois is just entering his prime whereas Larkin is already in it. I think Dubois is more skilled and offensively creative but Larkin's speed, attitude and defensive acumen ultimately leave them similarly impactful at this point in their careers.

I wouldn't trade Larkin for him because he's our captain and obviously a personality that will be a good leader for us. Dubois on the other hand is not looking like a great team player through this whole saga. I don't dislike a player for asking for a trade if he can't see eye to eye with a coach like Torts and/or doesn't like the city. But it's disrespectful to your teammates and the fans if you then phone it in on the ice. I can't imagine Larkin behaving this way. I think that is worth Dubois's higher upside and two extra years.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well I think it's pretty debatable. They had almost identical production last year and Dubois is two years younger. Dubois is just entering his prime whereas Larkin is already in it. I think Dubois is more skilled and offensively creative but Larkin's speed, attitude and defensive acumen ultimately leave them similarly impactful at this point in their careers.

I wouldn't trade Larkin for him because he's our captain and obviously a personality that will be a good leader for us. Dubois on the other hand is not looking like a great team player through this whole saga. I don't dislike a player for asking for a trade if he can't see eye to eye with a coach like Torts and/or doesn't like the city. But it's disrespectful to your teammates and the fans if you then phone it in on the ice. I can't imagine Larkin behaving this way. I think that is worth Dubois's higher upside and two extra years.

Have to say we also don't know why he wants out of Columbus, and that reason might eliminate a lot of other trade destinations in a hurry. A lot of us assume it's something to do with Torts or the city or the organization, but it might not.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Dubois is a great player, basically what we're hoping for if we draft someone like Beniers or Eklund. That said, I don't really think we're a great trade partner for Columbus here.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not really. He has already put up 64 in a season and his 49 in 70 last year is 57 in 82 extrapolated (along with 10 points in their 10 playoff games), and he had those seasons at 20 and 21 years old.

Yeah, but he also got to play with Panarin and a few others that were much better than Larkin's linemates have been.

He also plays with 2 super gifted offensive defenders that top anything we have by a long margin, which are great helps in even getting offensive chances to begin with.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, but he also got to play with Panarin and a few others that were much better than Larkin's linemates have been.

He also plays with 2 super gifted offensive defenders that top anything we have by a long margin, which are great helps in even getting offensive chances to begin with.

And last season played with a million different people.

I'm only arguing the fact that you called him a 50 point player. Maybe when he was 19 and had 49 in 82.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think I would trade him only, if 1 year is left and you are able to secure 8-year extension for him.

Then he can forget those dreams about Canadiens before turning 33.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
And last season played with a million different people.

I'm only arguing the fact that you called him a 50 point player.

His career average through basically 3 seasons is 50ish pts. 48 in his rookie season, 49 in one (57 if you pace it which is still 50 ish) and 61 playing with Panarin. He also is off to a terrible start this year with 1 pt in 5 GP and -2 on a defensive minded team. Not saying he is a bad player, but the ask for him sounds like it will be crazy based on how people talk about him. If we are paying a high end price for a young guy, I want one better than him, and preferably not one who has demanded a trade, as that always leaves a sour taste in my mouth, unfair or not.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
His career average through basically 3 seasons is 50ish pts. 48 in his rookie season, 49 in one (57 if you pace it which is still 50 ish) and 61 playing with Panarin. He also is off to a terrible start this year with 1 pt in 5 GP and -2 on a defensive minded team. Not saying he is a bad player, but the ask for him sounds like it will be crazy based on how people talk about him. If we are paying a high end price for a young guy, I want one better than him, and preferably not one who has demanded a trade, as that always leaves a sour taste in my mouth, unfair or not.
57 is closer to 60ish than 50ish.

He was point per game in the playoffs WITHOUT Panarin in the bubble. You're being very disingenuous to denigrate a player because he had a gutless shift last night.

You can justify it how ever you want.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I side with Torterella and the Blue Jackets organization on this one.

PLD just screams uncoachable and soft. I don't want him.

I don't think his price is going to be as high as you'd think. Once a player demands out the trade value usually tanks.

Reactions: golffuul

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-1-22_14-20-16.png

Approved.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
You'd think they'd want a C coming back in a package, for sure. PLD vs Larkin in terms of what each offers as a player is a reasonable debate, but given that Larkin just got the C here and very much appears to be committed to this team for the long haul, I wouldn't trade him for a guy like PLD who MIGHT be a slightly better player (I'm not convinced) over the next half-decade.

My offer would be something like:

Rasmussen or Veleno (CLB can choose)
Detroit's 2021 1st round pick
3rd tier prospect (someone like Berggren, Johansson, etc. )
3rd round pick

FOR:

PLD
Columbus' 2021 1st round pick

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The more I look at the optics:

Top 3 protected 1st + Ras + (Hirose and/or Smith)

OR

2021 1st Unprotected

OR

Mantha + Ras. (hate to give up Mantha w/o Bert signed long term & Z, F & Ray unknowns.)

Clock is ticking CLB.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He'd give us another Larkin caliber center, which would be huge for us and would fill the biggest void in our rebuild.

I'd happily trade on of our plethora of wingers for him - Mantha, Zadina, Raymond, and im guessing we'd have to throw something else in, like a Veleno or Johansson at least. Im very hesitant to give up a first round pick. Not sure Columbus would be content with that, however.

On the other hand, I think his apparent attitude issues are something Yzerman wouldnt want on our team, and makes me a bit hesitant as well.

Reactions: Critical91

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Agreed with MBH, I think any package for PLD would be centered around mantha+something else with legitimate value. I dont see Jarmo wanting to take a bunch of medium pieces or futures

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00