Rumor: Pierre-Luc Dubois

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I feel like people are overrating Laine in this trade a bit much

Laine is the best pure goal scorer outside of Ovie and Matthews, that isn't a small statement in terms of his talent.

I expect him to do well in Columbus.

So would a similar deal from Detroit be Mantha + Fabbri + 2nd for Dubois ?

They would want our 1st in my opinion. The player you are okay with + 2nd to round out a trade is the fan-base trade that doesn't happen. It is why it is a joke around here at times. When was the last time a package like that actually happened?

Reactions: lilidk

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We would never have topped this offer for either player.

Yeah, I don't see how we could have. Manta is pretty much the best roster player I could see us dealing, and there is a significant gap between him and Laine. The Jets being able to add a guy like Roslovic on top...We just don't have the assets for such a move.

Laine is the best pure goal scorer outside of Ovie and Matthews, that isn't a small statement in terms of his talent.

I expect him to do well in Columbus.

So do I. Roslovic will probably slot in pretty high and see a big bump in minutes from what he got in Winny, too. Columbus could look very good from this.

PLD is also going into a good situation where he can slide into that 2C spot behind Scheifele, or even 3c behind Stastny for year or move to wing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, I don't see how we could have. Manta is pretty much the best roster player I could see us dealing, and there is a significant gap between him and Laine. The Jets being able to add a guy like Roslovic on top...We just don't have the assets for such a move.

So do I. Roslovic will probably slot in pretty high and see a big bump in minutes from what he got in Winny, too. Columbus could look very good from this.

PLD is also going into a good situation where he can slide into that 2C spot behind Scheifele, or even 3c behind Stastny for year or move to wing.

I think he is their #2C and my guess is come next year and in the future years he makes a very nice connection with Perfetti, this allows them to really move Perfetti to the wing without much of an issue, let him concentrate on offense when he first gets to the league.

Top 6 shortly of

Wheeler - Scheifele - Connor
Perfetti - PLD - Ehlers

Yeah that is a handful.

I do think it Laine stuck around for Perfetti's playmaking ability he might have been a high 50's goal scorer with him.

Reactions: Winger98

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I don't see how this is good for Winnipeg.

I just don't see how adding a second line center, pushing your current 2C down to 3C and your current 3C down to 4C, adds enough to the goal totals of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines' wingers to make up for the loss of a 40 goal guy.

Laine would have scored about 20 more goals than PLD will. Are the wings on lines 2, 3 and 4 now going to make up that difference because they'll all have nominally better centers? I just can't picture that, their centers weren't that bad to begin with.

Plus Winnipeg retained like a quarter of Laine's salary. What a gift to CBJ.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I checked out the Columbus and Winnipeg forums, and at least the first page on the Winnipeg one was pretty much hating this trade, while the first page on the Columbus page was loving it. I have to agree, Winnipeg gave up way to much unless PLD takes his game to the next level.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I wonder if it still has bits of real panther in it. The IBCCASBSA (International Big Cat Cologne, After Shave and Body Spray Association) has been cracking down on that shit since the Axe Siberian Tiger scandal...
Glad Yzerman didn't overpay for PLD, he's too smart for that.

Also, Re: SPC, They've secretly replaced it with high level tardigrades a la the Folgers taste test. Unbeknownst to their exclusive clientele, they'd changed formulas to save the Panthers/Pumas/Cougars etc. which is a good thing, but kept the branding etc. As an animal lover I applaud their decision. Harvested in the exosphere & inner earth, 2 extremes, which is a trademark (of quality) of the tardigrade. However, it's only a matter of time before the cancel crew gets wind of it & includes microscopic organisms in the name of wokeness. For reference, here's U.S. Medal of Honor awardee (among dozens of other awards/designations) Admiral Richard E. Byrd's map from 1947. Arctic/Antarctic expeditions.

Richard E. Byrd - Wikipedia

upload_2021-1-23_13-24-5.png

Also, also, but wait, there's more. That's a poor trade for both teams,
CBJ-b/c of fit & upcoming salary, WPG b/c of poor return & their overpay. Which is good for the Wings. How does a 1-dimensional (but slightly improving his all around game) score 50G with no real 1C? Texier/Domi?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
If you're the 'peg, your options were pretty limited here. Both Laine and Roslovic wanted out, and you really covet a center. I think they looked at this as a way to solve locker room problems and upgrade significantly at center, which you perceive to be your biggest weakness. And you already feel like you're pretty strong on the wing, anyway.

Maybe you can hang on and make a better deal later, but for all you know it would be quantity for quality, or for picks. You want to win now. And if you wait, you're keeping two disgruntled players a lot longer, which is something you don't really want to do.

Also supposedly Dubois' dad works for the Manitoba Meese, and has nothing but good things to say, so he sold his son on going there.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
If you're the 'peg, your options were pretty limited here. Both Laine and Roslovic wanted out, and you really covet a center. I think they looked at this as a way to solve locker room problems and upgrade significantly at center, which you perceive to be your biggest weakness. And you already feel like you're pretty strong on the wing, anyway.

Maybe you can hang on and make a better deal later, but for all you know it would be quantity for quality, or for picks. You want to win now. And if you wait, you're keeping two disgruntled players a lot longer, which is something you don't really want to do.

Also supposedly Dubois' dad works for the Manitoba Meese, and has nothing but good things to say, so he sold his son on going there.

I think that Winnipeg fans would be much happier if the pick was a 1st or 2nd, it being a 3rd seems to be pissing Winnipeg fans off.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I’d be terrified to be an opposing coach having Dubois come over the boards as Scheifele hops off the ice after getting done bending my guys over all night.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think he is their #2C and my guess is come next year and in the future years he makes a very nice connection with Perfetti, this allows them to really move Perfetti to the wing without much of an issue, let him concentrate on offense when he first gets to the league.

Top 6 shortly of

Perfetti - PLD - Ehlers

Yeah that is a handful.

I do think it Laine stuck around for Perfetti's playmaking ability he might have been a high 50's goal scorer with him.

WPG is a team I could see upsetting COL in a playoff series, b/c of Helleybuck vs. Grubauer/Francouz. Col has D advantage however. Same for DAL, b/c of their F core, which I'm not sold on. Their SCF appearance was a hot Khudobin + fluke/matchups + 3 good PMD.

When Stastny is your #6/7 F, that's damn good. I don't see them upsetting STL/VGK though as those 2 are better balanced.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Top 6 shortly of

Perfetti - PLD - Ehlers

Yeah that is a handful.

Wheeler's 34 years old though. Perfetti's how far away from being a top six winger? I don't think they'll have a lot of time together.

What a career Wheeler's had. I remember when he was kind of Moritz Seider pick in 2004. Nobody expected him going that high. And then Phoenix couldn't sign him. Goes to Boston, who gets fleeced in a trade with Atlanta. Goes from solid young forward to legit top liner.

Winnipeg has had some solid hits, eh?
Laine, obviously, was pretty good at 2.
Connor at 17 is a Larkin-esque home run. Roslovic at 25 is a solid single.
Ehlers at 9 is at least a ground-rule double. Same with Morrissey at 13 (look how quick the draft goes downhill after the Morrissey selection). Scheifele did all you can ask at 7 overall - not a franchise player, but a legit 1C. Which guys behind him would you take instead. There aren't even many debatable names.
Trouba. Hellebucyk. Lowry. Copp. The list goes on.

Will be interesting to see how Heinola, Stanley, Vesalainen and Perfetti turn out.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
This trade is kind of hilarious from a perceived "Player happiness" perspective. Definitely some aspects of damage control.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Wheeler's 34 years old though. Perfetti's how far away from being a top six winger? I don't think they'll have a lot of time together.

What a career Wheeler's had. I remember when he was kind of Moritz Seider pick in 2004. Nobody expected him going that high. And then Phoenix couldn't sign him. Goes to Boston, who gets fleeced in a trade with Atlanta. Goes from solid young forward to legit top liner.

Winnipeg has had some solid hits, eh?
Laine, obviously, was pretty good at 2.
Connor at 17 is a Larkin-esque home run. Roslovic at 25 is a solid single.
Ehlers at 9 is at least a ground-rule double. Same with Morrissey at 13 (look how quick the draft goes downhill after the Morrissey selection). Scheifele did all you can ask at 7 overall - not a franchise player, but a legit 1C. Which guys behind him would you take instead. There aren't even many debatable names.
Trouba. Hellebucyk. Lowry. Copp. The list goes on.

Will be interesting to see how Heinola, Stanley, Vesalainen and Perfetti turn out.
They've definitely had a lot of success at the podium since changing names/location, and they've only had Laine as their 1 top 5 pick, they've picked 2, 7, 9, 9, 10, 13

Reactions: MBH

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Makes you wonder what the price for Roslovic would've been straight up. Laine has a bit more trade value than PLD, so maybe an early 3rd or late 2nd for Roslovic? That's less than I would've thought.

CBJ is very deep at wing now. Laine, Bjorkstrand, and Atkinson all like to shoot the puck a lot and assuming Laine signs big, they're all there a while. I wonder if Bemstrom is worth making a call for.

This trade also made me reflect on Winnipeg as a franchise. Such a great fan base, but I think their stars are pretty underappreciated which is unusual for a Canadian team. Wheeler, Scheifele, and Connor should get a lot more hype around the league than they do

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Makes you wonder what the price for Roslovic would've been straight up. Laine has a bit more trade value than PLD, so maybe an early 3rd or late 2nd for Roslovic? That's less than I would've thought.

CBJ is very deep at wing now. Laine, Bjorkstrand, and Atkinson all like to shoot the puck a lot and assuming Laine signs big, they're all there a while. I wonder if Bemstrom is worth making a call for.

This trade also made me reflect on Winnipeg as a franchise. Such a great fan base, but I think their stars are pretty underappreciated which is unusual for a Canadian team. Wheeler, Scheifele, and Connor should get a lot more hype around the league than they do
Rosolovic was holding out living in Columbus :laugh:

Dude doesn't even have to move.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Feels like the Jets got fleeced. Unless Laine is never going to get back to full power again the Jets lost this trade bad.

Reactions: Henkka

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Feels like the Jets got fleeced. Unless Laine is never going to get back to full power again the Jets lost this trade bad.

With Domi/Texier/Atkinson/Jenner/Bjorgstrand as his most probable linemate combos, I expect to see a significant dip in his production. However, I can also see increased TOI, which won't necessarily increase ppg avg., as ~50% of the game is in the opponents side of ice. The Torts vs. Laine memes will write themselves. :naughty::laugh::nod::DD:scared:

Laine is a 1-dimensional (albeit slightly improved all around game last yr.) goal scorer with known motivation issues. A walking Red Flag to me. A young, professional multi-millionaire athlete that wants to call the shots a la PLD. He will forever be fortnite boy in my eyes, til he grows up.

upload_2021-1-23_16-0-28.png

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad