Prospect Info: Pick #78 - Shayne Gostisbehere, Defenseman, Union College (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nope.

Instead of being shortsighted, I'll keep Ghost instead of giving up on him after less than one bad season.

Easy choice. I'd expect most would agree too.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Still no. Not a knock on Mantha either. A little disingenuous to not mention he's multiple years older than the other top rookies -- just as it was for Gostisbehere last year outside of the Panarin corner case.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Haha, I'm just kidding. I wouldn't do it either. I just wanted to stoke the fires a little on this beautiful Monday morning!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You people are always screaming for call-ups and prospects...what about sending Gostisbehere down for a couple of weeks and calling someone up to see how they do before the trade deadline?

You don't send Ghost down to the AHL.
And I don't know what the potential call-ups and the trade deadline have to do with each other - we already know the garbage we need to move, so we just have to find a market for them.
And I don't know who "You people" are.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I perused Timmy P's article and it said that a scout told him two things are up with Ghost. Confidence and not fully healed from Hip Surgery.

I know we've talked about that surgery effecting his skating, the article said it usually takes a year to fully recover.

Maybe Hakstol is giving the kid some time away, hit the reset button.

On Sportsnet the other day, their announcer said the same thing that it takes over a year to recover from Hip surgery and said that G and G are certainly slower this year.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
On Sportsnet the other day, their announcer said the same thing that it takes over a year to recover from Hip surgery and said that G and G are certainly slower this year.

I wonder if it's something you can play through and it still gets better, or something where you have to shut it down and put them on a shelf for longer than they were in the offseason? I guess we wouldn't have played them if it were the latter. Maybe another reason it wouldn't be so terrible to miss the playoffs, though.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't think its a health thing, he's not going to re-injure. Sounds more like a skill level, it'll take a while for him to get his speed/quickness back.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
There's no such thing as a beautiful morning when the Flyers play that night. Not with how painful this team is to watch. ;)

I look at the positive things like giroux,Simmonds and provy playing well along with ghost and tk when they play... I watch the games now knowing this team is far from a finished product...then I look at the prospects thread knowing help is on the way:nod:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you were going to move Ghost, you'd wait a year, hope he bounces back and improves his value, and let Sanheim get his feet wet in the NHL.

If Sanheim and Myers are the real thing, trading Ghost for a top center down the road is a real possibility, their upside is much higher simply due to their size, but Ghost playing like last year would have significant trade value.

Whether the hip surgery explains the offseasons for G and Ghost remains to be seen, it's possible because it may take time to rebuild the core muscles after that kind of surgery, and it's hard to do so during the season. However, glancing at the net, the timetables I see are more like 6-12 months, so they should be skating better this spring.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wonder if it's something you can play through and it still gets better, or something where you have to shut it down and put them on a shelf for longer than they were in the offseason? I guess we wouldn't have played them if it were the latter. Maybe another reason it wouldn't be so terrible to miss the playoffs, though.

All indications are that it is just something you have to play thru. You just don't have the strength you once did. It gets better over time, regardless if you are playing or not.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Dress 7 D and just play him on PP and OT if he is so bad Haks.

This is approaching he is either close to being traded and they arent risking injury or he hurt VDV's feelings.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Ghost was great in the world cup, so I don't think it is an injury issue. It is just confidence and his confidence isn't going to come back sitting.

Maybe let him play on the left side with a defensively sound Gudas? 7 D with shifts as a LW? Try anything else than whatever Hak is doing.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Ghost was great in the world cup, so I don't think it is an injury issue. It is just confidence and his confidence isn't going to come back sitting.

Maybe let him play on the left side with a defensively sound Gudas? 7 D with shifts as a LW? Try anything else than whatever Hak is doing.

My thoughts as well

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That would require the type of foresight that Haktol does not possess.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Aye, it's a confidence issue for sure now. And of course, reading from the Hak coachimg manual, nothing is going to build confidence like constantly being singled out for criticism whilst omnishambles like MacDonald and Manning play all the damn time.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
what would be the chances of at least trying to move Ghost up to wing?

raw

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Is there any way you would be willing to explain that stat as if you were speaking to a dimwitted 7-year-old? I would appreciate it.

Yeah that is one of my big problems with advanced statistics, it can be difficult to find out what the hell they mean. Off to google I go. EDIT: Looks to be Expected Goals per 60 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest