Prospect Info: Pick #78 - Shayne Gostisbehere, Defenseman, Union College (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RT @coreypronman: Gostisbehere to PHI. Great hockey sense/vision with offensive skill. Not talked about a lot, but a good player.

628x471.jpg

-----------------------------------
July 2012:
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637635

Shayne Gostisbehere, selected by the Flyers in the third round (No. 78 overall) of the 2012 NHL Draft, is determined to continue beating the odds. At 5-foot-11 and 160 pounds, he will never turn heads with his size or strength even as he fills out and adds muscle. If the player nicknamed “Ghost” is to make it to the NHL, it will have to be with his smarts as well as his two-way skills. He exudes poise and a quiet sense of self-confidence. Very little, if anything, overwhelms him.

“My attitude is basically just keep pushing,” said Gostisbehere. “I've been told I would never play college hockey, I've had other people tell me I would never get drafted in the NHL and it's happened. For kids who are out there like me just keeping pushing and keep striving for your goal. If you get knocked down, just keep trying.”

The young defenseman’s development has already come a long way in a short time. After the Flyers Summer Development Camp, the young defenseman will participate in the U.S. National Team Developmental Camp for the 2013 World Junior Championships.

Gostisbehere (pronounced GOST-is-bear) has come a long way in his development in a short period of time. His hometown of Margate, FL is hardly a hotbed of ice hockey activity, but he starting playing at the age of five.

---------------------------------------------------------

December 2012:
http://www.unionathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5330

2012-2013
Recorded his first two goals and his first assist of the season against Bowling Green on 10/13/12...Recorded an assist against AIC on 10/26/12...Scored a goal in victory over RPI on 11/2...Recorded a season-high four assists versus RPI on 11/3...Scored a goal against Penn State on 11/25... completed the game against Princeton on 12/1 with 1 goal and 2 assists...

2011-2012
Led all freshmen appearing in 41 games and recording five goals and 17 assists for 22 points...Earned a spot on the ECAC Hockey All-Rookie Team for his efforts...Recorded his first career point, an assist, against RIT on 10/22....Added an assist against AIC on 10/29....Recorded assists in three straight games against RPI on 11/15, one against Michigan on 11/27, and one against Quinnipiac on 12/2...Recorded his first career goal against RPI on 12/10...Scored the game-winning goal on the power play against Merrimack on 12/17...Added another goal against Dartmouth on 1/7...Recorded an assist against Harvard on Jan. 13...Notched an assist against Clarkson on 1/27...Registered an assist against St. Lawrence on 1/28...Added an assist against Colgate on 2/3...Notched a career-best four assists against Cornell on 2/4....Named ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week on 2/7...Added a goal against Princeton on 2/17...Recorded his fifth goal of the year against Colgate on 2/25...In the ECAC Playoffs, recorded an assist against RPI on 3/10 and added an assist against Harvard on 3/17...Recorded an assist in the NCAA Tournament against UMass Lowell on 3/24.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I was really hoping that Kea or Kosmachuk would fall to us just because I drafted them in NHL 2012 and they turned out decent. lol.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Two years in a row, the Flyers draft a Florida boy.

Shayne Gostisbehere
  • Class: Freshman
  • Hometown: Margate, FL
  • Previous Team: South Kent School
  • Height: 5-11
http://www.unionathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4456

------------------------------------

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flap...-grew-up-a-flapanthers-fan.html#storylink=cpy

TAMPA -- Growing up outside of Sunrise, Union freshman D Shayne Gostisbehere attended Florida Panthers games on a regular basis as his grandparents held season tickets since the inaugural season in 1993-94.

Now the 19-year-old who grew up in Margate idolizing Pavel Bure is playing the biggest game of his hockey career on Florida soil as a regular blue liner for the East Coast Athletic Conference champions appearing in their first Frozen Four.

-------------------------------------

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2012/jun/22/unions-gostisbehere-prepares-for-nhl-draft/

Union sophomore defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere's week got off to a good start Monday when he was invited to participate in the U.S. National Development Camp for the U.S. World Junior team.

This weekend, Gostisbehere could be an NHL draft pick.

The NHL draft starts Friday night at the Consol Energy Center with the first round. But it will be Saturday that Gostisbehere could hear his name during the final six rounds.

Gostisbehere was ranked 148th among North American skaters in the final NHL Central Scouting Bureau list of players eligible for this year’s draft.

"I'm looking forward to it," the 19-year-old Gostisbehere said. "It's a whole new experience. It'll be exciting if something happens."

Gostisbehere had an outstanding freshman season, collecting five goals and 17 assists in 41 games. He was named to the ECAC Hockey All-Rookie team, and was selected to the ECACH All-Tournament team.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Shayne Gostisbehere was part of a well-balanced Union College team that made their very first Frozen Four appearance this spring. The Margate, FLA native led the Dutchmen in freshmen scoring with 22 points (five goals, 17 assists) playing in all 41 games and earned a spot on the ECAC All-Rookie team. His plus-18 ranked tied for second on the team. While Gostisbehere was on the scouting radar throughout the season, it was his excellent post-season performance that significantly boosted his draft stock.

Gostisbehere is a smart, puck-moving defenseman who sees the ice remarkably well. But what sets him apart from many collegiate rookie defensemen is his ability to balance great offensive skills with a solid defensive game. Gostisbehere is smart in knowing when to jump into plays and his decision-making is very good. He moves exceedingly well with the puck and his passing skills are excellent. Gostisbehere also possesses a great stick and does a good job of taking away lanes. While Gostisbehere's one-on-one coverage is good, he'll need to continue to improve his gap control. Gostisbehere is a superb skater with good speed and agility. He possesses a very good shot and can get pucks to the net. Gostisbehere's greatest attributes, such as his skating will be further enhanced with continued physical development.

From hf profile

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Shayne Gostisbehere was part of a well-balanced Union College team that made their very first Frozen Four appearance this spring. The Margate, FLA native led the Dutchmen in freshmen scoring with 22 points (five goals, 17 assists) playing in all 41 games and earned a spot on the ECAC All-Rookie team. His plus-18 ranked tied for second on the team. While Gostisbehere was on the scouting radar throughout the season, it was his excellent post-season performance that significantly boosted his draft stock.

Gostisbehere is a smart, puck-moving defenseman who sees the ice remarkably well. But what sets him apart from many collegiate rookie defensemen is his ability to balance great offensive skills with a solid defensive game. Gostisbehere is smart in knowing when to jump into plays and his decision-making is very good. He moves exceedingly well with the puck and his passing skills are excellent. Gostisbehere also possesses a great stick and does a good job of taking away lanes. While Gostisbehere's one-on-one coverage is good, he'll need to continue to improve his gap control. Gostisbehere is a superb skater with good speed and agility. He possesses a very good shot and can get pucks to the net. Gostisbehere's greatest attributes, such as his skating will be further enhanced with continued physical development.

From hf profile

Well my wife is a Union alum.

She knows nothing about him, but assures me that he must be "good people."

:dunno:

CantSeeColors

Mar 8, 2007

From hf profile

Sounds vaguely like a better skating Gus, right down to being an NCAA guy.

boodangleroo28

Jul 9, 2010
I love it!! My home rink for HS hockey was at Union. I'm also close friends with the equipment manager.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
As am I. He's a tad small and if you go by his pre-rank this is a huge jump.

Small players can play in the new nhl. Hes a puck moving defender which we dont have many in the system. He was the 4th ranked ncaa player and had the 2nd most points as a defender in the ncaa. Prob my favorite pick so far

Reactions: Norze

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

From hf profile

Thank you very much.

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
Two years in a row, the Flyers draft a Florida boy.

Shayne Gostisbehere
  • Class: Freshman
  • Hometown: Margate, FL
  • Previous Team: South Kent School
  • Height: 5-11
http://www.unionathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4456

------------------------------------

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flap...-grew-up-a-flapanthers-fan.html#storylink=cpy

-------------------------------------

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2012/jun/22/unions-gostisbehere-prepares-for-nhl-draft/

Thanks for the info MSE.

mikedifr

Jul 5, 2004
NJ
Very very skeptical about the way this draft is unfolding for us...

same here....lots of projects and guys picked much higher than they are ranked

Small players can play in the new nhl. Hes a puck moving defender which we dont have many in the system. He was the 4th ranked ncaa player and had the 2nd most points as a defender in the ncaa. Prob my favorite pick so far

They can definitely, it he was ranked somewhere around late 4th, 5th round wasn't he?? Same with the goalie we took....these are reaches, from lesser junior leagues....Flyers seem to be just looking for the diamond in the rough rather than safely building up the organization depth

I don't like it! Meaning the philosophy not necessarily this pick specifically

Hockey161616

Jun 23, 2012
same here....lots of projects and guys picked much higher than they are ranked

They can definitely, it he was ranked somewhere around late 4th, 5th round wasn't he?? Same with the goalie we took....these are reaches, from lesser junior leagues....Flyers seem to be just looking for the diamond in the rough rather than safely building up the organization depth

I don't like it! Meaning the philosophy not necessarily this pick specifically

The Flyers picked up an absolute stud in Gostisbehere. I saw him play a handful of games this season and he will definitely play in the show. 160 pounds is small but he played this season as a natural freshman at Union so he will definitely bulk up. Although a natural freshman, he played with the poise of an all-american.

Additionally, he's been invited to the US World Junior Team camp and I can definitely see him making the team this winter.

All in all he was originally slated as a 5th rounder, but he had such a great post-season that he was talked about as a fringe 2nd round or a sure fire third rounder over the past month, so this was by no means a reach for Philly. If Philly hadn't taken him he would have been off the board within the next few picks. Great pick by Philly and this kid will arrive on your blue line (not the Phantoms) by 2014 or 2015.

Reactions: Norze

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
If there was any draft year to take chances, this year was it. Fact is, by the time pick 45 came around, some of the good defensemen were already off the board. So, the Flyers took a gamble on the 4th ranked North American goaltender. Now, with this pick, they took someone who is at least two to three years away. From what I've seen, he's a very good defenseman. Yes, he's got offensive skills, but he's also incredibly smart defensively.

I like the fact that the Flyers are looking for athletes with skill. People are also forgetting that some of these kids (Gostisbehere and Stolarz) have been invited to the US National Team World Junior U-20 camp too. I say kudos to the Flyers for going off the "traditional draft board."

During the 90s and the early 2000s, the New Jersey Devils were notorious for that and they drafted a ton of great players as a result. Same with the Red Wings. Sometimes, you've got to break the mold and go in a different direction. I love it that the Flyers are taking risks.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
Personally, this is my favorite pick. They took a kid who clearly has skill, but just needs time to fill out. He was a reach, but I'm okay with reaching for skill.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
If there was any draft year to take chances, this year was it. Fact is, by the time pick 45 came around, some of the good defensemen were already off the board. So, the Flyers took a gamble on the 4th ranked North American goaltender. Now, with this pick, they took someone who is at least two to three years away. From what I've seen, he's a very good defenseman. Yes, he's got offensive skills, but he's also incredibly smart defensively.

I like the fact that the Flyers are looking for athletes with skill. People are also forgetting that some of these kids (Gostisbehere and Stolarz) have been invited to the US National Team World Junior U-20 camp too. I say kudos to the Flyers for going off the "traditional draft board."

During the 90s and the early 2000s, the New Jersey Devils were notorious for that and they drafted a ton of great players as a result. Same with the Red Wings. Sometimes, you've got to break the mold and go in a different direction. I love it that the Flyers are taking risks.

I would much rather the Flyers go for speed and skill than size and brawn. This is a good change from the previous philosophy.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...-to-be-picked-by-Fl?blockID=729412&feedID=704

PITTSBURGH -- Shayne Gostisbehere was watching the NHL draft Saturday afternoon on television from his living room in Ft. Lauderdale.

“There was a slim chance I’d be going a little earlier than expected,” said the teenage defenseman from Union College, who the Flyers drafted Saturday in the third round.

“When I saw my name I jumped off the couch. Literally, I jumped off the couch. My family didn’t feel like making the trip [to Pittsburgh]. We stayed home.”

Gostisbehere, a 19-year-old puck-moving defenseman, will be a sophomore next season. Teammate Greg Coburn – younger brother of the Flyers’ Braydon – will be a junior next year at Union.

“The kid came on the radar at mid-season and started to play better, our guys in the East happen to see him a lot,” said Chris Pryor, the Flyers director of hockey operations, who oversees the draft.

“He has a good head, good stick, and can make plays. He’s only a freshman and he’s in a good situation.”

His own self-evaluation? While he admits he’s a skating defenseman, he said three times, “I’m not a slouch on defense.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->