Prospect Info: Pick #78 - Shayne Gostisbehere, Defenseman, Union College (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Does the typical Flyers fan care that Gostisbehere is sitting? Why isn't this a bigger thing? Someone needs to start holding HexHaks accountable

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He'll question himself and his decisons, he'll hesitate, and that will lead to more mistakes.

More mistakes lead to more sitting.

More sitting leads to less confidence in himself.

Less confidence in himself leads to worse play.

It's a really simple concept that I didn't think was even up for debate... I thought everyone understood it.

Or he'll focus on playing right instead of free lancing and being sloppy.
If players were that fragile (ok, there's Mason and MDZ) they'd all be falling apart at the first opportunity.

And neither was sat for "one" mistake - the same way Laughton wasn't demoted for one bad game
I suspect in both cases they were admonished for doing certain things more than once, and the lessons feel on deaf ears.

Hakstol has two rookies and Cousins out there (even with Ghost and Konecny sitting), he's not exactly adverse to young players.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
If players were that fragile (ok, there's Mason and MDZ) they'd all be falling apart at the first opportunity.

And neither was sat for "one" mistake - the same way Laughton wasn't demoted for one bad game
I suspect in both cases they were admonished for doing certain things more than once, and the lessons feel on deaf ears.

Hakstol has two rookies and Cousins out there (even with Ghost and Konecny sitting), he's not exactly adverse to young players.

Why did Hakstol bench Gostisbehere the first time? More than a point in every other game, solid defense.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Does the typical Flyers fan care that Gostisbehere is sitting? Why isn't this a bigger thing? Someone needs to start holding HexHaks accountable

Yeah, I miss his 8 ES points and his sloppy defensive play.

He was missed on the PP, Streit has really slipped, but I think they were hoping to showcase him before the trade deadline, unfortunately, there wasn't much to show.

However, I'd like to see Provorov get a shot on the PP as well, I think he'd be better in the Ghost role than one of two D-men on the second unit.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I'm not saying it's going to ruin him or be a long term issue, but a loss of confidence can contribute to a slump. Usually when the player bust the slump, even with just a lucky goal or something, they get their confidence back and are back to normal.

I'm just talking about a superficial temporary mindset, not some player altering change.

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
While I dont agree that he should have been benched 2 games in a row, can we stop acting like every time he makes a mistake, hes benched. He frequently makes mistakes in our own zone.

"every time he makes a mistake hes benched".....False.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
While I dont agree that he should have been benched 2 games in a row, can we stop acting like every time he makes a mistake, hes benched. He frequently makes mistakes in our own zone.

"every time he makes a mistake hes benched".....False.

Nobody thinks that though, as far as I can tell.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why did Hakstol bench Gostisbehere the first time? More than a point in every other game, solid defense.

Solid defense?

Points on the power play? Schenn gets points on the PP and half the fans here want to trade him tomorrow.

Who knows why Ghost was benched, but I doubt Hakstol did it on a "whim," usually it happens because of stuff we don't know, because we don't know what the coach was stressing and what the player did - but it's usually done with a young player to get their attention.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
3 points out of 4, man! maybe we should add him to the trade proposal so some team would be more willing to take Giroux-anchor from our hands!

If you think this team is "playing well" because they've lucked into some points, you might want to reevaluate how you watch games. Both games were awful, he's playing Devils hockey with two goaltenders that have struggled this year.

LA dominated them yesterday, Neuvy saved them, otherwise that game is a 5-0 thrashing.

They also scored just 2 goals on the Canadians while everything went their way.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Yeah, I miss his 8 ES points and his sloppy defensive play.

He was missed on the PP, Streit has really slipped, but I think they were hoping to showcase him before the trade deadline, unfortunately, there wasn't much to show.

However, I'd like to see Provorov get a shot on the PP as well, I think he'd be better in the Ghost role than one of two D-men on the second unit.

Yeah, his play really fell off after the first couple benchings. And as others have repeatedly mentioned, at his worst, Gostisbehere is better than Manning, MDZ, Streit, Schultz, MacDonald. Give it up. You couldn't be more wrong

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, his play really fell off after the first couple benchings. And as others have repeatedly mentioned, at his worst, Gostisbehere is better than Manning, MDZ, Streit, Schultz, MacDonald. Give it up. You couldn't be more wrong

Yep.

3 goals and 10 points in first 17 games prior to first benching.

1 goal and 11 points in his 31 games since.

And yes. Ghost is far better than all of those defensemen you mentioned, as well as a key contributor to the only two situations we can score..PP and 3v3.

But yeah, lets keep benching him.

I actually hate this coach.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
If you think this team is "playing well" because they've lucked into some points, you might want to reevaluate how you watch games. Both games were awful, he's playing Devils hockey with two goaltenders that have struggled this year.

LA dominated them yesterday, Neuvy saved them, otherwise that game is a 5-0 thrashing.

They also scored just 2 goals on the Canadians while everything went their way.

It was sarcasm.

I have no idea how we got more than 0 points without those two guys. Let alone 3.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Long-term, I'm not worried about him. GhostBear still has plenty in him and should be a 2nd pairing at minimum.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I perused Timmy P's article and it said that a scout told him two things are up with Ghost. Confidence and not fully healed from Hip Surgery.

I know we've talked about that surgery effecting his skating, the article said it usually takes a year to fully recover.

Maybe Hakstol is giving the kid some time away, hit the reset button.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Maybe Hakstol is giving the kid some time away, hit the reset button.

I think Hakstol just thinks the only way this team can win is by grinding games down and hoping to win 1-0 or 2-1 and Ghost isn't that player.

Juneemoon

Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
You people are always screaming for call-ups and prospects...what about sending Gostisbehere down for a couple of weeks and calling someone up to see how they do before the trade deadline?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think Hakstol just thinks the only way this team can win is by grinding games down and hoping to win 1-0 or 2-1 and Ghost isn't that player.

That's definitely a possibility. I think Hakstol tried his system, sees it's not working with this crew and decided to play dump and safe hockey. Ghost & TK are not guys that do that right now.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
That's definitely a possibility. I think Hakstol tried his system, sees it's not working with this crew and decided to play dump and safe hockey. Ghost & TK are not guys that do that right now.

What a way to ruin any young, talented and offensively minded players. If this is the case, welcome to Tippett lite. Boring, nothing hockey that hurts the younger, better players and gets the team nowhere.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
What a way to ruin any young, talented and offensively minded players. If this is the case, welcome to Tippett lite. Boring, nothing hockey that hurts the younger, better players and gets the team nowhere.

I agree. This team should not be all about winning this season at the expense of the young players. If you weren't prepared to live and die with Ghosts play, he shouldn't even have been brought up last season. Same with Konecny this year.

And that to me is the problem with competing and rebuilding at the same time. If the coach and management isn't willing to lose games on rookie mistakes, how are they going to develop on the bench?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013

Well technically the younger players aren't playing that system. And when they were, the team as a whole was failing overall with the more aggressive system.

It's not out of this world that Hakstol is playing the system that he thinks works best with the talent level.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Just spitballing here, but would anyone consider trying to flip Ghost for Anthony Mantha? He's top ten in rookie scoring and played about 10 games fewer than everyone ahead of him. Vast majority of his points scored at ES too, something this team really needs. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese