Prospect Info: Pick #78 - Shayne Gostisbehere, Defenseman, Union College (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yep, and it's our job to push back against them without getting banned.

this board is a hard read sometimes. Some are just beyond clueless when watching these kids play. i dont think anyone with half a brain should be shocked that Ghost is struggling this year.
Yeah i dont agree with some of the scratches he has gotten but at times this year he has really struggled in making decisions on the ice in all 3 zones both with and without the puck. He is still learning the position and learning what it takes to be a NHL defenseman.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
this board is a hard read sometimes. Some are just beyond clueless when watching these kids play. i dont think anyone with half a brain should be shocked that Ghost is struggling this year.
Yeah i dont agree with some of the scratches he has gotten but at times this year he has really struggled in making decisions on the ice in all 3 zones both with and without the puck. He is still learning the position and learning what it takes to be a NHL defenseman.

Yeah, absolutely, and then it sometimes gets extrapolated into "Ghost can't play defense" and "Ghost needs body mass or he will find himself out of the NHL" and "We should trade Ghost now while he still has some value" ... It makes me want to put sharpened pencils in my eyes so I never have to see words again.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
In this day and age people want things now...when most things happen in the click of a button they don't understand what patience is...it takes years to build a cup contending team in a salary cap era...if this team is built right and wins a Stanley cup it will be incredibly satisfying because we did it with our kids...the kids we drafted and groomed into champions...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yeah, absolutely, and then it sometimes gets extrapolated into "Ghost can't play defense" and "Ghost needs body mass or he will find himself out of the NHL" and "We should trade Ghost now while he still has some value" ... It makes me want to put sharpened pencils in my eyes so I never have to see words again.

yup. I have seen it before. i am soon going to have a permanent face palm print on my face from the same things :laugh:

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
As far as ghost goes he will be fine teams have taken away his time and space he will adjust...last year was a bit unfair as it set unrealistic expectations as to what is expected from him...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
In this day and age people want things now...when most things happen in the click of a button they don't understand what patience is...it takes years to build a cup contending team in a salary cap era...if this team is built right and wins a Stanley cup it will be incredibly satisfying because we did it with our kids...the kids we drafted and groomed into champions...

You and I have the exact same perspective on this in every particular.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost will always be limited by his size, he's 10-15 lbs lighter than Kimmo, which means he's not going to be able to use leverage like Kimmo, and I don't think he can add much mass without slowing down.

So on defense, he really has to be a technician to be effective, and not surprisingly, coming out of college where he could just rely on his superior speed and quickness, he's far from polished.

However, even in a couple years, if he focuses on playing "the right way," being more conservative in his own zone, better understanding of angles instead of just relying on pursuit speed, etc., he's always going to be somewhat limited defensively by his size. Provorov has a great base that allows him to ride big forwards out of plays, Ghost just can't do that.

This is the difference between Ghost and Sanheim, when Sanheim grows up he'll be 6'4 210-215 lbs with a very long reach, on defense that will allow him to do things Ghost can only dream of, riding guys out of the crease, a stick checking radius that's absurd, etc., to go with the speed and offensive skills.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
As far as ghost goes he will be fine teams have taken away his time and space he will adjust...last year was a bit unfair as it set unrealistic expectations as to what is expected from him...

By playing and learning.

Sitting out multiple games in a row is never better than actually playing at any level of hockey.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I agree he needs to play maybe he is repeating bad habits I am not sure...hopefully the coaches at least explain to him why he is sitting and what he needs to do better...its hard to say what goes on behind closed doors...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I dont agree with some of the benchings Ghost has been getting, but to suggest all or even most of Ghost's struggles are on the coach is just flat out wrong.
teams are forcing him into making quicker decisions both with and without the puck in all 3 zone and he has struggled with that part of the game He wasnt going to have a shooting percentage of 12 percent again this year as well.
He is a smart kid with a high hockey IQ. He will figure it out and adapt. Lets also not act like Hakstol is the only coach in NHL history to bench young players for reasons only the coach and player know like some act around here.

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
I dont agree with some of the benchings Ghost has been getting, but to suggest all or even most of Ghost's struggles are on the coach is just flat out wrong.
teams are forcing him into making quicker decisions both with and without the puck in all 3 zone and he has struggled with that part of the game He wasnt going to have a shooting percentage of 12 percent again this year as well.
He is a smart kid with a high hockey IQ. He will figure it out and adapt. Lets also not act like Hakstol is the only coach in NHL history to bench young players for reasons only the coach and player know like some act around here.

And his d pair. Its okay, hes going to make mistakes we all know that. Have a little bit of patient with the kid. If hes still making the same mistakes midway thru next year then we might have some problems. I fully expect him to be in the lineup tomorrow.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
And his d pair. Its okay, hes going to make mistakes we all know that. Have a little bit of patient with the kid. If hes still making the same mistakes midway thru next year then we might have some problems. I fully expect him to be in the lineup tomorrow.

Whoops. Guess not. I don't really agree with it, but I'm not a coach.

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
Im not going hate on manning but im never sure if boxcar is serious about his manning posts or being totally sarcastic.

Im also definitely not on the fire Hakstol bandwagon, but if he did bench both of them for Saturday then id be very, very concerned.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
It looks like he's still not 100% from surgery. I have high hopes for him next year, hopefully he can train and condition to get back to where he was.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yes.

Trust the process. Most of all, try to enjoy it. Find the things that can be appreciated even in a bad loss,even if it's just a couple good individuals plays or a couple well executed shifts by lines.

If we win a Cup that's great; if we don't, well, damn. But the hyperbolic concern that has been on display seems really stressful and less ideal than being patient and enjoying what you can.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Yes.

Trust the process. Most of all, try to enjoy it. Find the things that can be appreciated even in a bad loss,even if it's just a couple good individuals plays or a couple well executed shifts by lines.

If we win a Cup that's great; if we don't, well, damn. But the hyperbolic concern that has been on display seems really stressful and less ideal than being patient and enjoying what you can.

Thank you. No one expects a Cup. They win two very well played games, including shutting out the Rangers at MSG and managing to survive against the best team in hockey (Toronto LOL!) and it's crickets here. They lose to Carolina and it's the freakin' apocalypse. Beat Montreal, yeah, but TK and SG .....

Everyone needs to take a tranq.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
By playing and learning.

Sitting out multiple games in a row is never better than actually playing at any level of hockey.

You make it sound like he has sat out most of the year. People need to relax here. The young man will be fine. He knows what is going on and understands this is a process. He and others are in a bit of a slump but they are not going to bench a 8 million $ player.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Shayne's seasons in a nutshell...

2015-2016: 7th highest PDO of out 198 defensemen (min 500 5v5 minutes)
b25355833fda54d899305a2b8815426f.png

2016-2017: 191st out of 192 defensemen this year (min 300 5v5 minutes)
4ed9f31e943c2d6b5cad75df0c420340.png

He had a remarkable season last year, but you could probably say this year has been as bad as last year was great.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
ANd now instead of premature "lock him up long term immediately" its "trade him".

No foresight.

No patience.

No logic.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It looks like he's still not 100% from surgery. I have high hopes for him next year, hopefully he can train and condition to get back to where he was.

But if that was true, why did he look good in the summer and lead all Dmen in PPG and points in the World Cup of Hockey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad