Phoenix XLVIII: Of Mice and Lieberman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Anyone else worry that maybe, a year from now, the new Mayor of Glendale stands up and says :

"The NHL promised us a year ago that they were very close to finding a buyer for this team and yet, a year later, nothing. And now we have committed all this money that we don’t have.â€

Yes.

It's like the NHL is keeping the Coyotes on ice until a buyer is found somewhere else. Keeping anything on ice in the desert is expensive.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Yes.

It's like the NHL is keeping the Coyotes on ice until a buyer is found somewhere else. Keeping anything on ice in the desert is expensive.

Well said.

I have really grown to dislike GB and the NHL BoG. I know it is their job to only look out for what's in the NHL's best interest but... :shakehead

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Despite my opinion of the majority your post, this one is a good one!

LOL!!! Gee, thanks.

:p: ;)

Edit...

Oh wait, that was directed at Doc. LMAO!!! I thought it was directed at me.

:)

Doc is new here and seems like a pretty smart guy. Quick witted. Hopefully, over time, as he gets to know all of us, his posts will become kinder/gentler. ;) (* And more PRO-Canadian. *) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

RandR

May 15, 2011
Hey QcBlizzard, seeing the thread you created regarding expansions being a topic for the new CBA,

Belanger: "Fehr said expansion is in the cards [in next CBA]"

this would explain one of the reasons why Bettman and the league is working so hard to try to find a buyer to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. It is in the league's best interest to have as many potential bidders as possible if/when they decide on on expansion price. If the Jamison deal falls apart, for whatever reason, and the Coyotes relocate to Quebec City, then the league loses its best and most eager bidder for expansion.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
Glendale City Manager Ed Beasley, who looked on as Bettman spoke to the media, said he hopes to bring a final deal to the council in coming weeks.

That would be a shift from past practice. The council approved memorandums of understanding, or agreements in principle, with past potential buyers including Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer, Ice Edge Holdings and sports magnate Jerry Reinsdorf.

This time, Beasley said such overviews would not be necessary. The city is far enough along with Jamison to bring a final deal to the City Council, he said.

Council has pressed for the deal ahead of the June 12 adoption of the upcoming year's budget.

So accoring to this article, there won't be a MOU between the COG and Jamison.

The second pledge, the amount of which is based on team and arena losses, will come due at the end of the season. Bettman told The Republic that the city's latest pledge could be lessened by the team's playoff run, which bolsters the bottom line.

That seems obvious.

He said the league may also be willing to consider a payment plan for the city, but he would not elaborate on when such a conversation might resume. Beasley, Glendale's chief negotiator, had said that talks with the league about a payment plan had stalled.

Bettman at his best.

The current deal, which would have Glendale paying an average of $14.5 million to Jamison to operate the city-owned arena, is unlikely to be hampered by a legal threat, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told The Republic.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...phoenix-coyotes-sale-jamison-closes-fast.html

CoyotesJetsFan

Jul 10, 2007
Just listened to the Glendale city council meeting. I thought there was going to be optimism in regards to everything that happened last night.

Oh boy was I wrong!

Scruggs wants the Coyotes replaced, so does Lieberman. Martinez surprised me. Although he is for the Coyotes, he said that he understands peoples concerns with the notion of Glendale giving away money and that he hopes they can negotiate a lower AMF and get the best possible deal for the city of Glendale. Councilwoman Knaack said that she supports the Coyotes but that she sides with Martinez's line of thinking and hopes for the best deal for the city of Glendale.

The residents from Glendale that spoke, spoke business and were mostly against the Coyotes staying. The ones that did want them to stay were speaking from a fans point of view, except for one and she was so confused with the numbers that the mayor asked her for her e-mail so that she can review the details of the deal in regards to revenue and payment as to be clear about it.

Overall, I think we are still away from closing in on a deal to keep the Coyotes in Glendale.

Having painfully attended this meeting myself, you may want to listen to it again. Of the 12 or so citizens that spoke 7 or 8 were for the team staying. There are 4 votes on council to pass this. Martinez/Knaack are for the best deal possible but will vote YES. There are 3 for sure NO votes. I agree a deal is not done but it is gaining momemtum for the team to stay.

Good luck to all.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Hey QcBlizzard, seeing the thread you created regarding expansions being a topic for the new CBA,

Belanger: "Fehr said expansion is in the cards [in next CBA]"

this would explain one of the reasons why Bettman and the league is working so hard to try to find a buyer to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. It is in the league's best interest to have as many potential bidders as possible if/when they decide on on expansion price. If the Jamison deal falls apart, for whatever reason, and the Coyotes relocate to Quebec City, then the league loses its best and most eager bidder for expansion.

That's probably the truth.

Man, I am getting dizzy!

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
LOL!!! Gee, thanks.

:p: ;)

Edit...

Doc is new here and seems like a pretty smart guy. Quick witted. Hopefully, over time, as he gets to know all of us, his posts will become kinder/gentler. ;) (* And more PRO-Canadian. *) ;)

I know, we signed a peace treaty ;-)

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

Well I am new.....but I take offense at the other things. :rant: [edit] - this was a sarcastic angry face, obviously I'll take the compliment Kevy, lol.

In all honesty, I'm trying to be more mellow, I pretty much completely stayed away from the Phx discussions and board because it was too painful for a while, and it felt like the internet was dancing on our grave. Regardless, I do need to make sure I'm more mellow....I'm workin' on it.

and I believe its Guele Killion. ;)

Last edited:

RandR

May 15, 2011
Do we have a name for the next thread yet? Here's a few suggestions.

Phoenix XLVIV: It’s The Lease of Our Worries
:D :handclap:

Nice one! Count me as another vote for that.

Seems to be that the lease, and whether it's challenged by Goldwater, is the biggest hurdle for Jamison to overcome.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Well I am new.....but I take offense at the other things. :rant:

In all honesty, I'm trying to be more mellow, I pretty much completely stayed away from the Phx discussions and board because it was too painful for a while, and it felt like the internet was dancing on our grave. Regardless, I do need to make sure I'm more mellow....I'm workin' on it.

Like I wrote elsewhere.. you know, we are all too emotional, me the first.

I apologize and stay tuned!

PS English not my mother tongue, but should improve ;-)

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Having painfully attended this meeting myself, you may want to listen to it again. Of the 12 or so citizens that spoke 7 or 8 were for the team staying. There are 4 votes on council to pass this. Martinez/Knaack are for the best deal possible but will vote YES. There are 3 for sure NO votes. I agree a deal is not done but it is gaining momemtum for the team to stay.

Good luck to all.

I agree that the majority of presenters were in favor of the Yotes staying. However, most of them (not all) seemed to have little grasp of the budget issues facing Glendale. One lady who presented last (not from Glendale) postulated that the extra playoff revenue that the Yotes were receiving may reduce the $25M owing to the NHL. Scruggs corrected her with her wrap up statement.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Well I am new.....but I take offense at the other things. :rant:

I didn't mean it in a bad way, my friend. Everyone who comes here can be a little heavy handed at first. Then, over time, they realize that all the posters here are pretty smart (with the exception of me, of course), nice (again, exception me) and all have different opinions of how things will play out.

You posts are very smart and insightful! Just please be kind to everyone as well. :)

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale

Good luck to all.

I agree.

The momentum has changed quite a bit even in the last 24 hours around here. MOST of the radio stations are talking not just about the ownership situation but their amazing run at the Stanley Cup.

Removing as much emotion as I can and looking at this: I think this is the real deal. I feel Mr. Jamison is a very professional owner and is not bush league.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I didn't mean it in a bad Doc. I apologize. All meant in a friendly welcoming way.

There is no bigger dummy in this thread than me so forgive me if my post came across badly.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
I didn't mean it in a bad Doc. I apologize. All meant in a friendly welcoming way.

There is no bigger dummy in this thread then me so...

We take note

:laugh::laugh::laugh: ;-)

Eveything should be taken at a second degree.......

I am not smarter.

Anybody have a time machine? I can't wait to see this end, in a way or another, to get back to normal life....:)

CoyotesJetsFan

Jul 10, 2007
I agree that the majority of presenters were in favor of the Yotes staying. However, most of them (not all) seemed to have little grasp of the budget issues facing Glendale. One lady who presented last (not from Glendale) postulated that the extra playoff revenue that the Yotes were receiving may reduce the $25M owing to the NHL. Scruggs corrected her with her wrap up statement.

My quibble was his/her point about most presenters were against the team staying.

On a side note: As a citizen it is truly scary about the quality of debate for such a significant issue. Disappointed in the elected officials skills to truly grasp the issues and citizens apathy. Scary combination.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
My quibble was his/her point about most presenters were against the team staying.

On a side note: As a citizen it is truly scary about the quality of debate for such a significant issue. Disappointed in the elected officials skills to truly grasp the issues and citizens apathy. Scary combination.

I hear you. Some of the shenanigans going on in Winnipeg City council leaves me disturbed at the quality of elected officials and the disdain for due process.

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012

Good luck to all.

You're right and i apologize for that.

There were 7 for and 5 against. I think the 5 against stood out more for me because of their argumentative nature. Some of the Coyotes fans that went up to the podium, didn't take much time and basically just said 'thank you for doing everything you can to keep the Coyotes in Glendale'. I think that's what made me bias to the meeting last night.

But you did use the right word. 'Painful'. It was painful to watch, I couldn't have imagined what it would have been like having been there. :)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Removing as much emotion as I can and looking at this: I think this is the real deal. I feel Mr. Jamison is a very professional owner and is not bush league.

I hope so - if GB is sticking it to the CoG (again), this time it is over the top. I guess we will know soon.

As I have said before, if GJ can get $20M from the city, $15M from revenue sharing and there is a 50-50 split along with a lower floor after the new CBA, he might just make this work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese