Phoenix XLVIII: Of Mice and Lieberman

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandR

May 15, 2011
I don't wanna speak about american markets, but so far in Canada :

Montreal Canadiens - Waiting list for ST (Source)
Toronto Maple Leafs - Waiting list for ST (Source)
Edmonton Oilers - Waiting list for ST (Source)
Calgary Flames - Waiting list for ST (Source)
Winnipeg Jets - Possibly a waiting list (Was unable to find an official team list)
Vancouver Canucks - Waiting list for ST (Source)

So, only Canadian team that officially still has ST for sale are Ottawa Senators.

If I find time later tonight i'll come up with the american list.
Wow, the Canadiens have basically 10,000 people registered on their wait list, for which each pays $39 ANNUALLY to keep their spot. That is $390,000 a year for the club (plus the $100 collected from each person when they registered, another $1 million).

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
ok, so Phoenix cannot sell 9,000 ST? even at this moment in time, the very apex of hockey excitement?

if the City said, "no money until we see proof that this is worth our investment" and demanded 9,000 STH, then what would you do scott? renew? call friends to buy also? or, resent the blackmail and cancel?

i'd love to see the city do that. it would immediately place the burden on the fans, and it would go a long way towards disarming GWI as it would demonstrate lower losses, less subsidy, greater tax revenues, etc.

I think it is too hard to explain why this wouldn't work to a non-resident and that isn't condescending.

Things like this translate much differently down here than they do in Canada. The fans will come back.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You can call this blackmail all you want, but at some point the coyotes fan base has to stand up and support their team. If you can't do it for a new owner, and a team that is in the WCF then when will you be able to?

I think your suggestion is perfectly reasonable, provided the new owner goes about it in the right way with a modest increase, say 5%-7% over this past seasons pricing. Its' a double edged sword, and ya, time to step up. Provided they dont pull a Karmanos', whereby they "demand" 13,000 ST's be sold by such n' such a date, raise the prices by 20% & then ask for a 75% deposit up-front, eliminate 6-8-15 & 20 game mini-packs etc. That'd be a problem.

Scottrocks58*

ok, so Phoenix cannot sell 9,000 ST? even at this moment in time, the very apex of hockey excitement?

if the City said, "no money until we see proof that this is worth our investment" and demanded 9,000 STH, then what would you do scott? renew? call friends to buy also? or, resent the blackmail and cancel?

i'd love to see the city do that. it would immediately place the burden on the fans, and it would go a long way towards disarming GWI as it would demonstrate lower losses, less subsidy, greater tax revenues, etc.

From my clearly culturally different perspective than yours, a ticket drive is as ludicrous as a rally to show anything to anybody.

Gumper

Jul 16, 2010
Dallas
I seriously doubt this would work in many existing markets, maybe one and that was Winnipeg.

I think you may know that already but maybe not.

Let's get the new owner and people showing up is up to the fans, not for the new owner to blackmail the already battered fanbase.

It would work in Philadelphia. It would not work in Dallas.

Scottrocks58*

I think your suggestion is perfectly reasonable, provided the new owner goes about it in the right way with a modest increase, say 5%-7% over this past seasons pricing. Its' a double edged sword, and ya, time to step up. Provided they dont pull a Karmanos', whereby they "demand" 13,000 ST's be sold by such n' such a date, raise the prices by 20% & then ask for a 75% deposit up-front, eliminate 6-8-15 & 20 game mini-packs etc. That'd be a problem.

Killion, you're overlooking the fact that the fan base has been depleted over the past decade. Jamison has to build a fan base back up to a sustainable level.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Season Tickets will take care of Season Tickets... NEXT year.

Right now the fans should be allowed to enjoy the fact that they have a new owner and a team is in the conference finals which is bringing in a ton of new revenue. I hope they win the Cup!

Good for them!

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Season Tickets will take care of Season Tickets... NEXT year.

Right now the fans should be allowed to enjoy the fact that they have a new owner and a team is in the conference finals which is bringing in a ton of new revenue. I hope they win the Cup!

Good for them!

Yeah sure lets reward the weakest fan base in the league with a Cup........It'll probably happen. Then we'll all be able to read some player profess you are the greatest fans in the world.:facepalm:

RandR

May 15, 2011
This is why i don't believe it will work in Glendale. Jamison has apparently collected the necessary funds to purchase the Coyotes, at least that's what is being reported, but i don't see them having money to absorb losses and invest in the city, arena or community outreach marketing programs.

I don't believe they will have the necessary money to dao any of those things.
Neither you nor any of us have been given any information about who they are, what their net worth is, or level of commitment. We only know about Jamison, and he is not the majority investor. I see no evidence to assume or believe that they couldn't.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
So let's say the council approves 4-3, and the BOG approves Jamison. Is the GWI really the only obstacle left before Jamison gets the keys?

they aren't an obstacle really. I doubt seriously anything will happen other than a lot of talk. They will look at the sale once it takes place but it won't delay anything once it's approved by the COG and the BOG.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So let's say the council approves 4-3, and the BOG approves Jamison. Is the GWI really the only obstacle left before Jamison gets the keys?

Your first two suppositions is all that was ever needed at anytime, for anyone.

RandR

May 15, 2011
It is hard to characterize what a "tentative agreement" really means in this case ... it doesn't sound like anything, even a letter of intent, has been signed yet. That doesn't mean that there isn't a solid verbal agreement likely to hold up though. However, in a deal worth over $100 million with a multi-year commitment, one party could balk at one of the terms or conditions while the paperwork and details are being worked on. This is especially true if there are multiple investors involved; it could take only one to get cold feet to scupper the whole thing if none of the others is willing to step up with a larger commitment.

thegreaterikku

Jan 10, 2012
St-Ambroise
Yeah sure lets reward the weakest fan base in the league with a Cup........It'll probably happen. Then we'll all be able to read some player profess you are the greatest fans in the world.:facepalm:

So because they have the weakest fan base, they should drop it and let the Kings go to the Stanley Cup final? So by your logic, Montreal should go to the finals every year because they have the biggest fan base in the world. Such BS talk.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Killion, you're overlooking the fact that the fan base has been depleted over the past decade. Jamison has to build a fan base back up to a sustainable level.

No, Im not "overlooking" that aspect, I said "reasonable", unlike Karmano's when after demanding & receiving the increases he left town anyway. You, "we", they, everyone has reason to be both suspicious & wary if not downright cynical over the issue of STH thresholds, as market variables are such that its not a one-size fits all raincoat that you can just throw on every franchise. More a wet blanket in the cases of a Phoenix, Sunrise, Columbus or anywhere else experiencing difficulties at the box office. Takes time, patience, nurturing.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So because they have the weakest fan base, they should drop it and let the Kings go to the Stanley Cup final? So by your logic, Montreal should go to the finals every year because they have the biggest fan base in the world. Such BS talk.
Keep telling yourself that......

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Phoenix has the fan base, and a lot of them extremely knowledgeable about the game. Beyond knowledgeable. Look at that building shake, rattle & roll for Gods sake. How many arenas around the league do you see such a cross-section of generations?. Very very few. Deep runs like this years are exactly what the Doctor ordered. If the NHL & Jamison can pull this off, nothing but a fantastic harbinger of what can follow if they roll up their sleeves and seal the deal with the market itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->