Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Have-A-Little-Faith.jpg

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
Well it's because it certain feels that almost every writer (national and local) have stated clearly that neither want to come to Philly and will only do it if you pay them enough. I can't speak for everybody, but personally, if you have to buy their love, maybe their better off somewhere else.

It's understandable to start questioning their loyalty if they do sign here, maybe they start jogging down the line, maybe they don't hustle enough in the field, maybe they don't work the counts as much, this city is going to start assuming they just got their check and moved on mentally.

I agree to an extent. But the way its being reported, Bryce and Manny are treating Philadelphia like its Cleveland or some other 2nd rate destination. I understand the allure of NY/LA and Miami/Chicago to a degree, but Philadelphia is not Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, etc.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree to an extent. But the way its being reported, Bryce and Manny are treating Philadelphia like its Cleveland or some other 2nd rate destination. I understand the allure of NY/LA and Miami/Chicago to a degree, but Philadelphia is not Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, etc.

They can both go f*** themselves then (unless they sign here).

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Buying is all the Phils have; no huge name free agent is coming to Philly when NY, Boston, and LA are alternate destinations.

Except for Mike Trout. The day after he becomes free he will sign with Philly.

Philly has the same things those places have. I don't see the difference between the markets. They're all great for players to be superstars and to get sponsorships due to massive size of their markets. NY and LA are larger in that regard, but let's not pretend Philly has never gotten a top free agent before.

Reactions: kelmitchell

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Buying is all the Phils have; no huge name free agent is coming to Philly when NY, Boston, and LA are alternate destinations.

Except for Mike Trout. The day after he becomes free he will sign with Philly.

Philly has the same things those places have. I don't see the difference between the markets. They're all great for players to be superstars and to get sponsorships due to massive size of their markets. NY and LA are larger in that regard, but let's not pretend Philly has never gotten a top free agent before.

Reactions: kelmitchell and JXC

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Philly is a secon tier city, it doesn't have the Montains of Denver, the beauty of Seattle, the beaches of Miami, the pull of LA or NYC. It doesn't even have the mystique of Fenway or Wrigley field.

It's not just the Phillies, Sixers have made a big mistake trying to clear money to buy free agents, they're better off building around what they have and use the money to build a deep bench.

Phillies should try for Machado and Harper, but not to the extent they ignore other options hoping to land them.
Trout on the other hand, just wait for 2021, because I don't want to strip the team and have him come home and have to be on a .500 team the rest of his career.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Philly is a secon tier city, it doesn't have the Montains of Denver, the beauty of Seattle, the beaches of Miami, the pull of LA or NYC. It doesn't even have the mystique of Fenway or Wrigley field.

It's not just the Phillies, Sixers have made a big mistake trying to clear money to buy free agents, they're better off building around what they have and use the money to build a deep bench.

Phillies should try for Machado and Harper, but not to the extent they ignore other options hoping to land them.
Trout on the other hand, just wait for 2021, because I don't want to strip the team and have him come home and have to be on a .500 team the rest of his career.
Isn’t he free after this coming season?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I don't think this is accurate. Philadelphia teams that want to spend have never had problems bringing in big names (I can't speak for the Sixers because I don't follow basketball). Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers have all pretty regularly make big splashes in free agency. They don't get every target every year, but the city isn't the reason for that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think this is accurate. Philadelphia teams that want to spend have never had problems bringing in big names (I can't speak for the Sixers because I don't follow basketball). Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers have all pretty regularly make big splashes in free agency. They don't get every target every year, but the city isn't the reason for that.

Flyers could outspend most teams in the good old days. And they were a top destination. Both those things have changed, JT didn't bother to return Hextall's phone calls. They can still land free agents, but it's not guaranteed anymore.

Phillies overpaid for Thome, but he wasn't an elite FA, top player but not a game changer, money or otherwise. Lee was signed as a FA after they traded him away. Rose was at the end of his career. Phillies are not the prime destination for most players. They've had to overpay the last couple years.

Sixers tried all summer, finally had to trade for Butler, after winning 50 games with the league's best center/player.

NFL is different, basically half the league is free agents at one point or another (either unsigned or released from their contract).

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Saw that earlier. Everyone in the division is making moves. Going to be a bit different next year.

Machado coming for a visit this week

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Its Machado Day at Citizens Bank Park.

Anyone else excited? As far as I'm concerned, its never a bad thing to be allowed the last visit and the last word in a recruiting cycle such as this.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Its Machado Day at Citizens Bank Park.

Anyone else excited? As far as I'm concerned, its never a bad thing to be allowed the last visit and the last word in a recruiting cycle such as this.

I heard they’re pulling out all the stops: a Hoskins signed shirsey, edible arrangements gift card, the mallet that embiggened the crack in Chris Christie’s dinner bell, a free showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show with Sly himself, and a chance to get dunked on by Embiid.

It’s not much, but it’s a damn good package for a second rate city like Phillie.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The last time one of the bigger FAs took a while to sign, it was JD Martinez for Boston, and that worked out perfectly fine. I'm ok with Harper and Machado taking their time, as long as the Phils aren't sitting on their hands waiting for a decision. That bit the Sixers last year when they put in all their chips with LeBron (who to this day I still say played Philly to prevent them from getting better, helping Kyrie stay on the best team in the division) so as long as other assets are being acquired, its all good. Either way, the big prize is still in a couple years with Trout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad