OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So when these guys have these meetings, I know a lot of it is about "wooing" these guys and convincing them to come here, but do they talk numbers. Like he gets the tour, probably a dinner, meets the bigwigs, etc., then the Phillies say "Here's our offer," and he gets back to them? Or does the player come in and just say, "Gimme the cash!" and then go through the other stuff, or do they not even talk numbers and the owner/GM talks to his agent afterwards?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So when these guys have these meetings, I know a lot of it is about "wooing" these guys and convincing them to come here, but do they talk numbers. Like he gets the tour, probably a dinner, meets the bigwigs, etc., then the Phillies say "Here's our offer," and he gets back to them? Or does the player come in and just say, "Gimme the cash!" and then go through the other stuff, or do they not even talk numbers and the owner/GM talks to his agent afterwards?

I doubt they talk numbers with the player.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I doubt they talk numbers with the player.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of these meetings. The normal free agents, even somewhat big names, probably is boring. I bet they have no contact with these guys at all (maybe some players but the execs probably just call the agents and they go back and forth until its done). But these big guys it must be interesting as to what they are saying to convince them to come here. A couple years ago I think it was Brad Richards that met with a bunch of teams or Suter/Parise it was a big song and dance IIRC. Anyone ever watch Entourage when Vince is looking for a new agent and they are going to all those meetings with the different agencies and they all show him the same video...I bet it is like that. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

It varies so much from player to player and sport to sport. It's really all of the above, but yeah, almost all numerical content is filtered through the agent.

In baseball, you've generally had an extended feeling out period where you know who your serious suitors are, so it's basically just a meet and greet for both sides. Sometimes an official offer is made immediately, sometimes it's not.

There's also an agent turf war going on with Machado and Harper, so they're really going to draw it out.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Seems like that’s common sense and what we’ve known since the beginning. No reason to freak out.
Right but it came right out again after his visit with the Phillies. My take, the Phillies will have the best financial offer on the table. This was another wink,wink,nudge,nudge to the Yankees to up their offer.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
And the Phillies biggest signing of the off season is Andrew McCutchen.....HUGE off season

Can we change the title of this thread? We might just spend no money this off-season

Last edited:

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
And the Phillies biggest signing of the off season is Andrew McCutchen.....HUGE off season

Can we change the title of this thread? We might just spend no money this off-season

I mean. It was a possibility. But if they prefer elsewhere, and the money is comparable. What do you want Klentak to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad