OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...le-ruling-out-nothing/?utm_term=.bd55a0d388b5

When asked about the Philadelphia Phillies, who many speculate have the money and interest to give Harper a record deal, Boras deferred and said he would let the Phillies discuss their level of interest. He did say he and his team took Harper’s monstrous career numbers at Citizens Bank Park and projected them over an entire season and that the Phillies are on Harper’s list. He did not confirm whether Harper was on theirs.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
surprised they didn't lose anyone in the rule 5 draft today. Thought Grullon or Gilbert would get picked. They did add one player but then traded to the O's for international money and then they picked a pitcher from the Yankes in the minor league part of the draft.

Reactions: Jtown

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Harper is the one they still have a real chance of getting in my opinion. I think at the end of the day he is simply going to follow the money. Machado is probably going to end up with the Yankees. Baseball offseasons are annoying though, the way it takes players weeks to sign is both strange and frustrating.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
surprised they didn't lose anyone in the rule 5 draft today. Thought Grullon or Gilbert would get picked. They did add one player but then traded to the O's for international money and then they picked a pitcher from the Yankes in the minor league part of the draft.
Meh, not really shocking. These guys have to stay on the roster all year and most are young guys with AA experience so most of the time they don't make it even if chosen.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Harper is the one they still have a real chance of getting in my opinion. I think at the end of the day he is simply going to follow the money. Machado is probably going to end up with the Yankees. Baseball offseasons are annoying though, the way it takes players weeks to sign is both strange and frustrating.

Just listened to Nightengale on Dan Partick’s show, he sounded like he fully expects the Phillies to be offering the most money for Harper.

I just think unless he really doesn’t want to come here; we should be in pretty good position.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't think we are getting Bryce. Having to play against the Nats , and go to DC only to get booed relentlessly is not an appealing offer.
That booing would probably wear off pretty fast. The only guy that I consistently remember getting it was Rolen, and that was in Philly. First off, that park is going to be empty probably other than the first series against the Phillies, so the booing won't be that bad. Second of all, I don't think Nats fans are a real feisty bunch. He's going to get a boatload of money wherever he goes, I doubt that is the main issue. He is just going to probably go with whatever city and team he likes the best between the four of five front-runners.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If you believe the National guys...Bryce prefers LA.

But it sounds like the Phillies and White Sox that will offer the most

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I’ve kind of had a feeling the Phillies are not going to sign Machado or Harper.

I wanted Machado more before but I’ve done a complete 180 and now prefer Harper. Although, a part of me keeps thinking that if we miss out on him I’ll be very disappointed at first but it will be the best for the team in the long-run. I guess time will tell.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
We have tons of money, a ballpark that hitters love, a good team forming, and a fan base that is quite fanatical when they have a reason to be. Philly is also a massive market with plenty of endorsement opportunities.

Why are people so worried? Maybe we won't get someone, but everything points to us being contenders for every top free agent. I know it doesn't seem this way since the season was meh, but Santana was probably the best hitter on the market last year and he signed with us. Why not Harper or Machado?

All logic points to positivity, folks.

Reactions: Grebinator

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
We have tons of money, a ballpark that hitters love, a good team forming, and a fan base that is quite fanatical when they have a reason to be. Philly is also a massive market with plenty of endorsement opportunities.

Why are people so worried? Maybe we won't get someone, but everything points to us being contenders for every top free agent. I know it doesn't seem this way since the season was meh, but Santana was probably the best hitter on the market last year and he signed with us. Why not Harper or Machado?

All logic points to positivity, folks.

Well it's because it certain feels that almost every writer (national and local) have stated clearly that neither want to come to Philly and will only do it if you pay them enough. I can't speak for everybody, but personally, if you have to buy their love, maybe their better off somewhere else.

It's understandable to start questioning their loyalty if they do sign here, maybe they start jogging down the line, maybe they don't hustle enough in the field, maybe they don't work the counts as much, this city is going to start assuming they just got their check and moved on mentally.

Reactions: Jray42

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Well it's because it certain feels that almost every writer (national and local) have stated clearly that neither want to come to Philly and will only do it if you pay them enough. I can't speak for everybody, but personally, if you have to buy their love, maybe their better off somewhere else.

It's understandable to start questioning their loyalty if they do sign here, maybe they start jogging down the line, maybe they don't hustle enough in the field, maybe they don't work the counts as much, this city is going to start assuming they just got their check and moved on mentally.
Buying is all the Phils have; no huge name free agent is coming to Philly when NY, Boston, and LA are alternate destinations.

Except for Mike Trout. The day after he becomes free he will sign with Philly.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Machado will sign with the Yanks
Harper will sign with the Dodgers

We will continue to suck.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Machado will sign with the Yanks
Harper will sign with the Dodgers

We will continue to suck.
OGZmNTMzYjJiMCMvY3ZKdVdSNno3ZGZ0S2dFanVCekswUUNKcXBzPS9maXQtaW4vNzYweDAvZmlsdGVyczpub191cHNjYWxlKCk6cXVhbGl0eSg4MCk6bm9fdXBzY2FsZSgpOmZvcm1hdChqcGVnKS9odHRwOi8vaW1hZ2VzLm1pYy5jb20vejI4bTZ3ZHRiMG02cDd0MmZvZHlicDZwdXZpdjcxZXR6dWQxenNtNmxrbndia2xoYmdzeGhybnl5cGIwcjNvcC5naWY.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->