OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Phils shouldn't chase both Harper and Manny..pick one..go after one of the FA pitchers..get a closer and go from there...see what filters out late in FA if anything

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Play it as it lays, FAs make the final decision.

Phillies should not go after FA pitchers, Corbin is buyer beware (big contract year after up and down career), and the rest aren't bette than what we already have on the team or the high minors.

This team needs hitting and defense, improve the defense and the pitching will take a big jump.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Phils shouldn't chase both Harper and Manny..pick one..go after one of the FA pitchers..get a closer and go from there...see what filters out late in FA if anything
Stock up. Get whatever you can get. Machado and Harper would make this arguably the best lineup in the game. Sign Corbin or Keuchel for the rotation. Bring back Jake Diekman or sign Zach Britton for the pen. Leave Dominguez as the closer. Trade Santana for literally anything. Trade Hernandez or Crawford and use whichever one kept as a utility guy.

Lineup (not sure who bats second, likely not Machado but that's just how I shook it out, otherwise I would say whomever is playing 2B or LF would bat second)
1-Herrara (CF)
2-Machado (SS)
3-Harper (RF)
4-Hoskins (1B)
5-Franco (3B)
6-Williams/Quinn (LF)
7-Kingery/Hernandez/Crawford (2B)
8-Alfaro (C)
9-Pitcher

Bench
Williams/Quinn
Knapp
Bour
Kingery/Hernandez/Crawford
Althierr/Valentin/Florimon (depending on if you want another OF or another utility guy)

Rotation
1-Nola
2-Arrieta
3-Corbin/Keuchel
4-Pivetta
5-Eflin/VV

Bullpen
CL-Dominguez
Fill in with two lefties and the rest righties with at least one guy that can fill in as a spot starter or long reliever if someone shits the bed.

That's a playoff team.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Machado and Harper would make this arguably the best lineup in the game.

Not close. Not close to close. There are lineups that go 8 deep with real quality.

Hell, that wouldn't be the best 1-2 punch in baseball even setting aside depth. I'm not sure it would even be top 5. It's not touching Cleveland or Houston and there's no real argument to the contrary. If we're being realistic, you would need real improvement from last year for Harper to touch Boston, the Yankees, Anaheim, etc. It might not be a better 1-2 punch than the Nats even losing Harper.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not close. Not close to close. There are lineups that go 8 deep with real quality.

Hell, that wouldn't be the best 1-2 punch in baseball even setting aside depth. I'm not sure it would even be top 5. It's not touching Cleveland or Houston and there's no real argument to the contrary. If we're being realistic, you would need real improvement from last year for Harper to touch Boston, the Yankees, Anaheim, etc. It might not be a better 1-2 punch than the Nats even losing Harper.
I think you are mistaken. Harper and Machado will make everyone else better hitters. I would expect guys like Hoskins and Franco to improve based on their presence in the lineup, which should have a ripple effect.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They should get some improvement just from Crawford and Kingery, I doubt they're that bad, Altherr bouncing back would help the bench.
If Quinn could stay healthy that would be huge.
If Alfaro can just incrementally improve, Hoskins become more consistent, etc.
So adding a couple solid bats would give them at least an average offense. Which is really all they need.

The real key is getting the fielding from horrible to average, that would be a huge boost, especially with so many young arms who don't need the defense extending innings. And fewer pitches per inning by SPs means they go deeper into games, protecting the bullpen.

As long as they hit decently, they were a competitive team until the pitching wore down, and the bad fielding had something to do with that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think you are mistaken. Harper and Machado will make everyone else better hitters. I would expect guys like Hoskins and Franco to improve based on their presence in the lineup, which should have a ripple effect.

There's little sabermetric evidence that "protection" makes a difference in hitter outcomes.
Pitchers today don't feel the need to throw FBs to throw strikes, many have better command of their offspeed pitches.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There's little sabermetric evidence that "protection" makes a difference in hitter outcomes.
Pitchers today don't feel the need to throw FBs to throw strikes, many have better command of their offspeed pitches.
Well hopefully we find out in a couple months!

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
If the reports are true that they offered a contract to Brantley, and he signs, what's that do to the outfield? Try and run Brantley Odubal and Harper?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Stock up. Get whatever you can get. Machado and Harper would make this arguably the best lineup in the game. Sign Corbin or Keuchel for the rotation. Bring back Jake Diekman or sign Zach Britton for the pen. Leave Dominguez as the closer. Trade Santana for literally anything. Trade Hernandez or Crawford and use whichever one kept as a utility guy.

Lineup (not sure who bats second, likely not Machado but that's just how I shook it out, otherwise I would say whomever is playing 2B or LF would bat second)
1-Herrara (CF)
2-Machado (SS)
3-Harper (RF)
4-Hoskins (1B)
5-Franco (3B)
6-Williams/Quinn (LF)
7-Kingery/Hernandez/Crawford (2B)
8-Alfaro (C)
9-Pitcher

Bench
Williams/Quinn
Knapp
Bour
Kingery/Hernandez/Crawford
Althierr/Valentin/Florimon (depending on if you want another OF or another utility guy)

Rotation
1-Nola
2-Arrieta
3-Corbin/Keuchel
4-Pivetta
5-Eflin/VV

Bullpen
CL-Dominguez
Fill in with two lefties and the rest righties with at least one guy that can fill in as a spot starter or long reliever if someone ****s the bed.

That's a playoff team.
20nraa.jpg

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I’d like to see them go after Martin Gonzalez to go along with Harper or Machado and Kuechel or Hamels. Also trade Santana so Hoskins can go back to 1B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->