OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Draft Month (First Round - April 29th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Colts ran tons of RPOs with Sirianni as the OC in 2018. Then it faded. The Colts didn't run many Screen until 2020 and that was generally credited to the influence of Chris Strausser, their OL Coach. It's really difficult to suss out what I expect it to look like because the Colts were very different from year to year.

When Reich left Philadelphia, the Eagles went from a varied approach to more of an Outside Zone scheme. That makes it extra tough for me to pull out which bits were Reich and which were Sirianni because I already associate these things with Reich. The Colts ran Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Stretch, and basically everything else you could dream up. I would say that have a mobile, varied, athletic OL is absolutely mandatory for these purposes. The Colts would even run Outside Zone out of a Split backfield. You just don't see that very much.

I would say that the constants were 12 Personnel being leveraged to free up WRs in space in the MOF, designed touches to YAC players of all sorts, and gadget players being valued. You're going to see tons of Daggers as Zone beaters. You've got to be able to make deep MOF throws because Sirianni is going to get them open. Hell, the Colts were top 5 in the league in 13 Personnel Snap%.

Of course, the other question is how Sirianni is going to mesh with Stoutland. Mudd was the ultimate stretch zone OL coach, everyone gave Chip credit for that offense, but Mudd put together a highly athletic unit that Stoutland inherited.
Peters - Mathis - Kelce - Herremans - Lane
this year's line:
Mailata/Dillard - Seumalo - Kelce - Brooks - Lane, Driscoll, Herbig

Kelce is getting long in the tooth, but add someone like Slater and you have a line similar in athleticism, so taking him at #12 is not outlandish.

Interesting note, On February 7, 2019, the Colts hired Mudd as a senior offensive assistant, however Mudd stepped down from the position on September 6, 2019.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For the life of me, I cannot see Fields going all the way down to 32.

If he's there at 12, I personally think Philly has to either think about taking him, Hurts be damned, or they have suddenly found themselves in a spot where maybe they can trade back with a team like LV (who has supposedly done QB homework) or Chicago.

But let's say the first 11 picks shake out EXACTLY as Simms has predicted here, and if the Eagles don't want Fields and don't want to trade the pick. Horn is a great pick and someone who most believe will have a good career in the NFL. I'd still love to see Howie go after Gareon Conley on a cheap prove it deal for additional depth, but still getting Horn is nice.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Oh it's Chris Simms. Ok phew. He has Fields below Kellen Mond.

I'm finding it hard to determine whether I'd be happier with Surtain or Horn because I don't know if they're going to look more like Indy or Minnesota schematically. If it's Indy, Horn really is not a good fit. If Minnesota, sure.

I'm also probably lower on Horn than most. That's part of why I prefer a trade down to 18-22 and taking Newsome. I'm probably not going to complain much unless it's Barmore or Darrisaw or Rousseau without a trade down. Or even after a trade down if it's Rousseau. No thank you.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This from the Athletic does not give me hope in Parsons, whom I now believe will be the selection.

Ranking the linebackers

1. Micah Parsons, Penn State (6-foot-3, 246 pounds, 4.36 40 time, Round 1): Didn’t start as a freshman but still led the team in tackles. Started 12 games in 2019 before opting out in ’20.
“You always know he’s in the game,” one scout said. “He’s either blowing up the quarterback on a blitz or going outside and knocking the shit out of somebody. He can man cover a back and a tight end at a very good level. Hell of a pass-rushing linebacker. Plays to the outside are his forte. Running the ball down.” Almost refuses to use his hands while taking on blocks.

“Not a real shock-and-shed kind of linebacker,” a second scout said. “More of a scrape-and-run guy. He’s OK against the pass. He was a five-star (recruit) and all that. He opted out, and you’re never quite sure what you’re going to get in this situation. But he’s got all this physical ability.”

From Harrisburg, Pa., Parsons switched high schools after being suspended during his junior year for an incident in the school cafeteria.

“We have to find out a little bit more about leadership and intangibles, and being able to call a defense,” said a third scout. “But even if he’s just a rush-hit guy, he might turn out to be Darius Leonard. He’s not Devin White. He doesn’t take on blocks like Devin White. He tries to run around and jump things, but the athletic things are top-notch.” Finished with 192 tackles (19 for loss) and 13½ “big plays” (defined as the total of sacks, interceptions, fumbles forced and fumbles recovered).

“What you have is a space-chase ‘backer,” a fourth scout said. “If everything is straight-line for him and he sees it, he’s explosive inline. His sacks, (Penn State had stunts) upfront and blitzed him right through the middle. They schemed him to do that stuff. When he’s in space and if he’s chasing somebody, you can see his speed.

“Besides that, he’s not an exceptional athlete. His effort’s OK. He is a non-factor when a blocker is on him. He reminds me of Isaiah Simmons last year. Simmons just had an average year (for the Cardinals).”

Parsons’ 11-inch hands were the largest at the position.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Anonymous scouts season!! Besides being athletic, he's not a great athlete. Just like Isaiah Simmons. :laugh:

If you're drafting Micah Parsons to be Devin White, you're an idiot. They're completely different. I don't know why all of a sudden we want off-ball LBs to be pass rushers, but it's probably because Tampa won the Super Bowl. The question with Parsons is whether you think you can teach him to cover. He wasn't asked to do it much.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Anonymous scouts season!! Besides being athletic, he's not a great athlete. Just like Isaiah Simmons. :laugh:

If you're drafting Micah Parsons to be Devin White, you're an idiot. They're completely different. I don't know why all of a sudden we want off-ball LBs to be pass rushers, but it's probably because Tampa won the Super Bowl. The question with Parsons is whether you think you can teach him to cover. He wasn't asked to do it much.

It’s like the NFL person who said TJ Watt would be at an even more insane level if he had Josh Allen’s athleticism even though their athletic profiles were pretty much in the same percentile at the combine. :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Question I'd have with Parsons is instincts, when I pick a LB that high for a conventional 4-3 (i.e. not as a stand up pass rusher) I'm looking for someone like Urlacher or Kuechly, guys with great instincts and coverage skills. Straight line speed is grossly overrated for a LB, the ability to read, react, first step quickness, get off blocks, sure tackler, loose hips, etc. are more important. Even when a LB is running sideline to sideline, he's not running a straight line through open space.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Question I'd have with Parsons is instincts, when I pick a LB that high for a conventional 4-3 (i.e. not as a stand up pass rusher) I'm looking for someone like Urlacher or Kuechly, guys with great instincts and coverage skills. Straight line speed is grossly overrated for a LB, the ability to read, react, first step quickness, get off blocks, sure tackler, loose hips, etc. are more important. Even when a LB is running sideline to sideline, he's not running a straight line through open space.

Yeah, that's fair. You should be drafting these guys on coverage ability and he's basically a complete question mark. There's a point at which I want to make the bet, but it's not 12.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

What you want is Jaylon Smith, but with a functioning brain and two functioning eyeballs.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
For the life of me, I cannot see Fields going all the way down to 32.

If he's there at 12, I personally think Philly has to either think about taking him, Hurts be damned, or they have suddenly found themselves in a spot where maybe they can trade back with a team like LV (who has supposedly done QB homework) or Chicago.

But let's say the first 11 picks shake out EXACTLY as Simms has predicted here, and if the Eagles don't want Fields and don't want to trade the pick. Horn is a great pick and someone who most believe will have a good career in the NFL. I'd still love to see Howie go after Gareon Conley on a cheap prove it deal for additional depth, but still getting Horn is nice.

If Fields falls to 12 and the Eagles don't quickly trade Hurts and a pick to another team for another 2nd, then select Fields: I riot.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Pauline (who apparantely had their interest in Reagor before the draft) is saying that the Eagles love Kwity Paye...

I am already mentally preparing myself for the inevitable disappointment on Thursday...

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Made a NFL Mock Draft (Game) Scoring Sheet to make the 1st round of the draft more interesting...

Not perfect, but meh I like quantifying stuff and making games.

Attachments

• NFL Mock Draft Scoring Sheet.xlsx
    20.2 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad