Confirmed with Link: [TBL/NSH] Lightning reaquire Ryan McDonagh and a 2024 4th rd pick for a 2nd and 7th rd pick

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Don't think today's move affects Stamkos. We have $5M in cap left. That isn't enough to A) re-sign Stamkos and fill other holes, or B) replace Stamkos and fill other holes if he walks.

So someone else is definitely moving. This fantasy of Stamkos taking a $2-3M long term deal is silly. They need more cap space regardless of if they plan on re-signing Stamkos or backfilling his position.

Adding 6m+ in cap space definitely does effect our ability to re-sign Stamkos, it changes everything

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Adding 6m+ in cap space definitely does effect our ability to re-sign Stamkos, it changes everything
Not when the plan was ALWAYS to add a top 4 D. That was gonna cost around $6M (or more) in FA. JBB said this was a top priority. So bake in adding a top 4 D to the cap and someone was gonna be moved off the roster regardless.

The idea that they were gonna add a top 4 D without trading away cap is silly too regardless of if it means Stamkos could walk. $5M isn't enough to fill the roster AND replace Stamkos.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not when the plan was ALWAYS to add a top 4 D. That was gonna cost around $6M (or more) in FA. JBB said this was a top priority. So bake in adding a top 4 D to the cap and someone was gonna be moved off the roster regardless.

The idea that they were gonna add a top 4 D without trading away cap is silly too regardless of if it means Stamkos could walk. $5M isn't enough to fill the roster AND replace Stamkos.

We didn’t know that was the plan until today. The option was there but now it’s the only option

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

Agreed. It was going to be an issue if we had Hanifin, too. Team needed a defenseman, regardless. Not Dumba, either. I think Sheary and Perbix are gone. A league minimum replacement for Sheary helps and Perbix comes straight off the books.
We didn’t know that was the plan until today. The option was there but now it’s the only option
Well, the writing was on the wall with Hanifin. Maybe not another +6M defenseman, but any serious improvement over Perbix or Raddysh was going to cost more than Dumba money.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Roughly as silly as being certain we can get value from other trades. This is just way too much money for one position. I mean, maybe if Cooper wasnt the coach, it would make sense. But we all know we are gonna see Sergachev get sheltered while McDonagh handles the tough assignments and Hedman gets the prime offensive opportunities. Now here comes Sergachev making 8.5 to shut down Ryan Reaves.

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Roughly as silly as being certain we can get value from other trades. This is just way too much money for one position. I mean, maybe if Cooper wasnt the coach, it would make sense. But we all know we are gonna see Sergachev get sheltered while McDonagh handles the tough assignments and Hedman gets the prime offensive opportunities. Now here comes Sergachev making 8.5 to shut down Ryan Reaves.
Someone has to shut him down since Five Pick Jeannot can't.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

8.5m and he’s not on PP1, it’s just hard to justify that cap hit without deploying him properly. He’s probably well worth it on a team that would put him as their primary PP QB.

Could probably get an elite 5v5 guy to pair with Hedman on the right side for cheaper but JBB wants to make this work for some reason.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The goal is to not get pinned down to begin with. When we dealt Connolly, Drouin, etc we continued to keep costs down, the extensions to Cernak/Serg/Cirelli weren’t necessary, deal one of them off and find help through the open market.

Florida built their team almost entirely through outside help, Vegas has done the same almost every year.
Except it's already clear they can't add anyone better realistically by moving Cirelli, so it's at absolute best a lateral move and so unlikely. Serg could provide some help in that regard, but I doubt JBB is moving him either given the defensive situation.

"Hey Julien... have you ever thought about moving... Cirelli....Cirelli..........Anthony Cirelli...Cirelli. PLEASE."
Good luck with that lol. Lmk how many times Tampa has moved an integral core piece one year into an 8 year deal

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
At first glance I don't think this is good news for Stamkos or Hedman. Are the lightning moving on ? Hope not but Stamkos agent must have had talks about salary range and I think its too high for the Bolts.

I see Stamkos playing elsewhere next year. You don't take on $6 mil plus in cap if you plan to keep him. Sad but true.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Guyovich is gonna burn this place to the ground if anyone else keeps talking about Sergachev like this

At first glance I don't think this is good news for Stamkos or Hedman. Are the lightning moving on ? Hope not but Stamkos agent must have had talks about salary range and I think its too high for the Bolts.

I see Stamkos playing elsewhere next year. You don't take on $6 mil plus in cap if you plan to keep him. Sad but true.
Stamkos and Kucherov were playing/practicing together this afternoon. It's gonna be juuuuuussssssstttttt fine

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
8.5m and he’s not on PP1, it’s just hard to justify that cap hit without deploying him properly. He’s probably well worth it on a team that would put him as their primary PP QB.

Could probably get an elite 5v5 guy to pair with Hedman on the right side for cheaper but JBB wants to make this work for some reason.

I feel like if we trade Sergachev, it's a sign JBB doesn't trust any of the younger guys and just wants to go all-in on the next two years.

I think I'd prefer that over trying to prolong this 3-5 years. If it doesn't work, trade everyone and start fresh. We've been to hell and back before, we have advantages (tax, weather) that other rebuilding franchises don't have. It's risky but better than what Chicago and Pittsburgh are going through.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Except it's already clear they can't add anyone better realistically by moving Cirelli, so it's at absolute best a lateral move and so unlikely. Serg could provide some help in that regard, but I doubt JBB is moving him either given the defensive situation.

Good luck with that lol. Lmk how many times Tampa has moved an integral core piece one year into an 8 year deal
Zero. But I will say there are very few times when a player half the cost outscores and outplays an integral core piece one year into an 8 year deal like BDN did in comparison to Cirelli.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Wasn't Sergachev taking the majority of PP1 minutes at some point recently? Before he initially got injured? Or was it last year?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Nashville signed Ryan O'Rielly for 4.5m and he's a much better 2nd line C than Cirelli. Not every deal is going to work out but there are opportunities out there to improve the team and efficiently use our cap space.
They don't have room for more than a ~3 million type player even moving Cirelli, and they're not getting anyone for 3 million better than Cirelli imo.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Zero. But I will say there are very few times when a player half the cost outscores and outplays an integral core piece one year into an 8 year deal like BDN did in comparison to Cirelli.
Paul didn't outplay Cirelli. He had one more point in 3 more games playing against easier lines most of the time. I never said Paul had a bad contact either, and neither does Cirelli. He also had his best offensive production and has plenty of time to make the contract and his play look even better imo. There's no reason to move him for a Warren Foegle, Daniel Sprong, or Dakota Joshua, none of which are likely to sign for 3 million anyway.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

That's what I mean, yeah. Not even saying he's bad, just that what we can realistically get from him, given the roster, is so much less than what we are paying for. I'd rather take 75% of that money and find a 2C, now that McDonagh is back. Put the other 25% toward Stamkos.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad