Dreger: Philadelphia discussions with Detroit on Petr Mrazek

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
At no point did I say I think he sucks. I simply don't see the need to give up a half way decent asset (2nd round pick) for him for a number of reasons.

As far as your last comment goes. Detroit has been trying to dump him for about a year now with no luck. Vegas wouldn't even take him for nothing in the expansion draft. If he were that good they would have taken him and either kept him as a backup to MAF, or flipped him to another team for valuable assets. The fact of the matter is Mrazek is an ok starting goalie at best and more likely just a decent tandem goalie. Don't take it out on me or put words in my mouth because you have difficulty separating fact from fiction with your favorite teams players.

You're the one that said, "Overrated" about a guy who has been s*** on for the last year by uneducated people who haven't actually watched this train wreck of a team. So maybe I wouldn't put words in your mouth if you'd use the proper ones.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
At no point did I say I think he sucks. I simply don't see the need to give up a half way decent asset (2nd round pick) for him for a number of reasons.

As far as your last comment goes. Detroit has been trying to dump him for about a year now with no luck. Vegas wouldn't even take him for nothing in the expansion draft. If he were that good they would have taken him and either kept him as a backup to MAF, or flipped him to another team for valuable assets. The fact of the matter is Mrazek is an ok starting goalie at best and more likely just a decent tandem goalie. Don't take it out on me or put words in my mouth because you have difficulty separating fact from fiction with your favorite teams players.

Especially for the Flyers sake. They have two goalies with term already, so Mrazek is essentially a rental. I doubt they extend him that QO since there's no guarantee at all he'd be any consistent upgrade over what they have....

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You're the one that said, "Overrated" about a guy who has been s*** on for the last year by uneducated people who haven't actually watched this train wreck of a team. So maybe I wouldn't put words in your mouth if you'd use the proper ones.
A fair amount of people think he is a legit number 1 goalie who can carry the load for a decent team. He isn't that guy. Hence he is overrated.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

I've been watching this tranwreck of a team for Mrazeks entire tenure and I don't particularly think he is that great. Talented? Sure. Way out of position most of the time? Absolutely. Worth $4.15M/year? Not even close... Am I uneducated?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
A fair amount of people think he is a legit number 1 goalie who can carry the load for a decent team. He isn't that guy. Hence he is overrated.

Goalies who play for amateur hour coaches and amateur hour defenses in amateur hour systems have bad numbers.
And vice-versa.
It's why a Brian Elliot looks so f***ing awesome playing for Hitchcock and shits the bed everywhere else.
It's why Mrazek would turn his career around on another team.
It's one reason why Carey Price looks so pedestrian all of the sudden.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Goalies who play for amateur hour coaches and amateur hour defenses in amateur hour systems have bad numbers.
And vice-versa.
It's why a Brian Elliot looks so ****ing awesome playing for Hitchcock and ****s the bed everywhere else.
It's why Mrazek would turn his career around on another team.
It's one reason why Carey Price looks so pedestrian all of the sudden.

Elliotts been pretty good for Philly.

.908 Save Percentage would be higher if Flyers PK wasnt a train wreck.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I've been watching this tranwreck of a team for Mrazeks entire tenure and I don't particularly think he is that great. Talented? Sure. Way out of position most of the time? Absolutely. Worth $4.15M/year? Not even close... Am I uneducated?
I would agree with that assessment of Mrazek. For the Flyers though it's not JUST about how good or not Mrazek is, it's about what makes sense for them. They still have Elliott and Neuvrith under contract for another year and have two really good goalie prospects who aren't terribly far away in Sandstrom and Hart. They are also not a Mrazek away from being a legit cup contender this year. I would gladly take Mrazek for the Flyers if the price was a 4th or 5th and a mid level prospect. It just doesn't make sense for the Flyers to panic and overpay for him which is what I think some Detroit fans are hoping for.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Elliotts been pretty good for Philly.

.913 Save Percentage would be higher if Flyers PK wasnt a train wreck.
pssst....his SV% is at .908.

But it has been a weird year in that our PK and poor defense has been way more to blame than bad goaltending.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I would agree with that assessment of Mrazek. For the Flyers though it's not JUST about how good or not Mrazek is, it's about what makes sense for them. They still have Elliott and Neuvrith under contract for another year and have two really good goalie prospects who aren't terribly far away in Sandstrom and Hart. They are also not a Mrazek away from being a legit cup contender this year. I would gladly take Mrazek for the Flyers if the price was a 4th or 5th and a mid level prospect. It just doesn't make sense for the Flyers to panic and overpay for him which is what I think some Detroit fans are hoping for.

A third rounder for a playoff team is like 75th to 80th overall.

I've had sneezes with more trade value.

I hope the Flyers continue to reject Holland's demands.
Because I'd prefer to have Mrazek in Detroit next year.

Reactions: hatcher

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I like the idea of Marzek but how are the flyers going to fit his 4 mil cap in?

Cap space shouldn't be a problem. Flyers have $9.6M now and $11ish at the TDL. It'd be a matter of if they they wanna possibly(assuming Elliott and Neuwirth are healthy by then) roll with 3 goalies going into the playoffs. Rosters will expand, but do they wanna waste one on a 3rd goalie?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
pssst....his SV% is at .908.

But it has been a weird year in that our PK and poor defense has been way more to blame than bad goaltending.

Could have sworn I read .913 the other day day. Either way. PK is killing his SP.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would think Hextall would take a third easily. Maybe he’s just going for a better deal because Hextall.

It shouldn’t be assumed that we will make the playoffs with a 4th string goalie. We are riding high now but a few losses in a row is going to happen. At least one loss soon seems likely. Doesn’t take much to lose footing.

So I think he just trying to haggle or going for a bigger deal. Seems like he may think DET may be desperate enough for our bottom 4.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
philly can have nilsson for a 5th.

Mrazek is decent, would think he stays and howard was to go. Age wise and rebuild wise it would be better to keep the younger goalie

Jan 21, 2018
So I think he just trying to haggle or going for a bigger deal. Seems like he may think DET may be desperate enough for our bottom 4.

PHI thinks DET is desperate to move Mrazek, when his contract is expiring after this year and PHI is the team with its top two goalies injured.
:huh:

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
PHI thinks DET is desperate to move Mrazek, when his contract is expiring after this year and PHI is the team with its top two goalies injured.
:huh:
Maybe there are not many playoffs teams out there looking for a backup goalie. And there are many names believed to be available for less than a 2nd.
Plus Elliott is not dead. Same for Neuvirth, not yet.

Desperate is a big word for both sides anyway.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Ahh, one of the stat watchers in question!

You're right. The top goalies in the world would still be putting up solid numbers with a defense headlined by Jonathan Ericsson...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

You're right. The top goalies in the world would still be putting up solid numbers with a defense headlined by Jonathan Ericsson...
The Detroit defense is awful. But that doesn't force Mrazek to have long stretches of awful positioning or terrible rebound control. Those inconsistencies are on him, not the team.

I'd rather keep him than Howard, but I'm realistic enough to be willing to deal either (or both) for a decent return.

Reactions: Tripod

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

To me an "uneducated stat watcher" in regards to Mrazek, would be someone who looks at 15/16 and says "Wow, he was amazing, what happened?" without knowing that after a solid January and February, the league figured out they could just coax him out of position to light him up. Then he took a hard left down Jim Carey Street after his 24th b-day where he was remarkably terrible for the last 2 months of the regular season, then had a good 16 playoffs before being one of the worst goalies in the league for 16/17.

Was Howard a worlds top goalie when he put up pretty solid numbers playing in front of the same D last year?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
since the Hawks are looking to get a top pick for this draft:

Hawks trade Flyers:

Crawford
for
Nolan Patrick
and 2018 1st

Crawford will be healthy soon, we want to tank and get a better pick, and you need a goalie for the playoffs...

Crawford and Kane are the only good vets we have left anyway, might as well trade Crow while he has value!

disclaimer - I am in no way, shape, or form wanting to trade Crawford...this is a hockey future thread and I am talking out my ass.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Hawks trade Flyers:

Crawford
for
Nolan Patrick
and 2018 1st

Crawford will be healthy soon, we want to tank and get a better pick, and you need a goalie for the playoffs...

Crawford and Kane are the only good vets we have left anyway, might as well trade Crow while he has value!

disclaimer - I am in no way, shape, or form wanting to trade Crawford...this is a hockey future thread and I am talking out my ass.

Lol. Sure are.

Reactions: Rebels57

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

Hawks trade Flyers:

Crawford
for
Nolan Patrick
and 2018 1st

This is a joke, right?

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad