Dreger: Philadelphia discussions with Detroit on Petr Mrazek

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Would be a goalie I would want come playoff time if I was a Flyers fan. They have a team to make some noise. I wouldnt love a third as a return as a wings fan but could see that being the deal.. Now with them being more desparate maybe it becomes conditional if he resigns it becomes a secnod or something

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would be a goalie I would want come playoff time if I was a Flyers fan. They have a team to make some noise. I wouldnt love a third as a return as a wings fan but could see that being the deal.. Now with them being more desparate maybe it becomes conditional if he resigns it becomes a secnod or something
again....Hextall already said no to a 3rd. So at best, he now says yes to a 3rd. He doesn't all the sudden say yes to it being a 2nd at any time.

Hell, he might be the 3rd string goalie come playoff time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
again....Hextall already said no to a 3rd. So at best, he now says yes to a 3rd. He doesn't all the sudden say yes to it being a 2nd at any time.

That is not really how this works. His value goes up and down including here is the fact Detroit is shopping both goalies. Say the Islanders meet the price on Howard, well they aren't interested in moving him period at that point.

It might just be the third, if I am Holland I ask for more than that. If I am dumping one of the Detroit goalies for a third it should be Howard with some money retained and not Mrazek.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That is not really how this works. His value goes up and down including here is the fact Detroit is shopping both goalies. Say the Islanders meet the price on Howard, well they aren't interested in moving him period at that point.

It might just be the third, if I am Holland I ask for more than that. If I am dumping one of the Detroit goalies for a third it should be Howard with some money retained and not Mrazek.
And again, for the BUYING team, it doesn't go from:

No to a 3rd to yes for a 2nd

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

He said no to a third when he thought he could roll with Neuvirth, now Holland is dealing from a position of strength and the other likely goalie trade candidate is out hurt (Lehner). If he is the third goalie come playoff time (I doubt it), the Flyers dont qualify him and the pick stays a third. Also just because Hextall said no to a third doesnt mean he wouldnt pony up at the deadline for some security. He could've said no because he wanted to see Neuvirth play a few games and see how he looks. He doesnt have that option now. Hes also had a week or two of Mrazek playing pretty good hockey and building his value

With Giroux and Voracek getting older, does he want to risk a year where they actually look pretty solid and could make a run on the back of a third or fourth string goalie? Isnt Stolarz hurt too, so theyll be on thir third and fifth goalies now? We'll see but I doubt Mrazek goes for less than a third and now the price could have gone up

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He said no to a third when he thought he could roll with Neuvirth, now Holland is dealing from a position of strength and the other likely goalie trade candidate is out hurt (Lehner). If he is the third goalie come playoff time (I doubt it), the Flyers dont qualify him and the pick stays a third. Also just because Hextall said no to a third doesnt mean he wouldnt pony up at the deadline for some security. He could've said no because he wanted to see Neuvirth play a few games and see how he looks. He doesnt have that option now.

With Giroux and Voracek getting older, does he want to risk a year where they actually look pretty solid and could make a run on the back of a third or fourth string goalie? Isnt Stolarz hurt too, so theyll be on thir third and fifth goalies now? We'll see but I doubt Mrazek goes for less than a third and now the price could have gone up
I have said that I could see him for a 3rd now, when it was a NO before. So that is an increase in his value. He is only worth what someone will give for him. Obviously, up to this point, the ask appears to be a 3rd, and no team has met that ask or he would have been traded already.

As far as G and Jake, yup, having great years. But they know the Flyers are building long term, not for this year. They don't trade Schenn for picks if it's about this year.

Getting to the playoffs this year was the hope. But building a good team long term is the goal. Mrazek is not the only option. And Detroit could end up with not moving him at ALL come the deadline, then not qualifying him and losing him for nothing. Other teams know this too. So it's not like all the power is in Detroit's hands. It's not the same as trying to trade for AA for example.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Big mistake, trading a 25 year old who can start for you, for a 75th overall draft pick.
Stupid.
Holland should not be allowed to make such a move.

If he's the "starter" then he's been arguably the worst starting goalie in the league for like 60 games now.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Mrazek will be a RFA and they need to offer $4M per to keep his rights. Far too high and most teams would rather wait and sign him for a much cheaper rate.

Yeah, unless he gets behind a competent defense and excels. Now you've got a starter for $4M.
It's a good gamble.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And again, for the BUYING team, it doesn't go from:

No to a 3rd to yes for a 2nd

When the buying team doesn't have better options and all of a sudden has injured goalies it very well could happen, not that I expect it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Big mistake, trading a 25 year old who can start for you, for a 75th overall draft pick.
Stupid.
Holland should not be allowed to make such a move.
A 25 year old with a 4 million dollar qualifier on his contract. Its lose him now or lose him in July.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If he's the "starter" then he's been arguably the worst starting goalie in the league for like 60 games now.

In half the games, playing the easier teams.

He was also substantially worse last season.

Glowing endorsements. ;)

All of us knew Hollands comments toward PM and that he is not in the plans for next year. So do all the GM's. Getting a 3rd for him gives Holland what he wanted, and also makes Hextall "overpay" in what he was willing to pay last week.

It just seems to be the middle ground that works for everyone.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He's actually 26 now... Makes a difference because 27 is usually the "best by date" for Red Wings players.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Glowing endorsements. ;)

All of us knew Hollands comments toward PM and that he is not in the plans for next year. So do all the GM's. Getting a 3rd for him gives Holland what he wanted, and also makes Hextall "overpay" in what he was willing to pay last week.

It just seems to be the middle ground that works for everyone.

Oh trust me there's no secret that I want Mrazek gone. If we get anything in return I consider it a great deal.

Reactions: Tripod

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
In half the games, playing the easier teams.

He was also substantially worse last season.

Mrazek basically only had one bad season and looked very promising before that and has rebounded lately. Just turned 26 a few days ago.

Seems like a strong bounce back candidate on a new team.

Worth a third round pick for Philly imo. Hope to catch lightning in the playoffs which it looks like they are capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille