Dreger: Philadelphia discussions with Detroit on Petr Mrazek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It seems like it has become a time honored tradition for the Flyers to be shopping for a goaltender ever since the end of the Ron Hextall era between the pipes. I can't think of a team that has had more instability in net.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It seems like it has become a time honored tradition for the Flyers to be shopping for a goaltender ever since the end of the Ron Hextall era between the pipes. I can't think of a team that has had more instability in net.

This time around it's a necessity born of injury. Not that Elliott/Neuvirth is an ideal pairing, but it was just fine for their purposes before both got hurt. Ideally, they only need a stopgap for a few years until Carter hart is ready, but we've said that before.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Roll the dice philly. Worst case, you get 3 goalies come playoff time, and maybe he is in the press box. Best case, a boost of confidence and what could be a last chance to prove yourself before you could potentially test the market (increase your value). I think Philly has to take it at this point.

Dano85

Oct 8, 2016
only 1/4 of the season left - so its pro rated.

As for the previous comment - no salary cap in playoffs. Turns out after checking cap friendly - we wouldnt need it anyway.

correct, I believe the hawks did this a couple years ago, they had maybe Kane? on some sort of IR and he was back for the playoffs...think it was the year they won with Vermette

Reactions: Starat327

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Wasn't he passed over in the expansion draft.. for Nosek?
Yes, and for those who want to jump in and say "but Vegas already had MAF," If Mrazek was that great they could have taken him an d flipped him for a good pick. Mrazek is an extremely overrated goalie who is essentially a pending UFA due to his qualifying offer being 4 million. Detroit has been trying to get rid of him for over a year now and I have read articles from last year talking about character and work ethic concerns.

As far as the Flyers go, there is no need to make a panic move. This is not a team who is going to make a legitimate cup run. They would be lucky to win a round in the playoffs. Also, until word comes out that Neuvirth is out long term a guy like Mrazek isn't going to provide a big upgrade. Hextall needs to be patient and if a good deal comes long which makes sense, fine, and that includes Mrazek. That being said, Detroit fans thinking that Hextall is all of a sudden going to panic and give up a 2nd or a 3rd and another conditional pick are going to be disappointed because it won't happen. Unless Holland is willing to come down on his price Hextall is more likely to trade for someone like Chad Johnson or Peter Budaj for a 5th.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Unless it's late picks on a UFA, they may as well keep what they have. Mzarek isn't going to magically take them to the finals. If you don't have a solid goalie going in, you're going to get eaten alive. May as well not lose the assets.

But if they do, and even though I hate Philly, I think they should look at Halak. If there's one goalie who is available that you can bring in that will randomly take you to the finals...it's him.

You DO NOT need a top goalie to go to the stanley cup, or win it. Leighton and Niemi were the goalies in the stanley cup not too long ago

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Mrazek is an extremely overrated goalie

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We get it, you think he sucks. Fine. But overrated? Get a clue. He and Howard are getting verbally trashed by a bunch of stat watchers who've never watched Detroit's abomination of a defense.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Yes, and for those who want to jump in and say "but Vegas already had MAF," If Mrazek was that great they could have taken him an d flipped him for a good pick. Mrazek is an extremely overrated goalie who is essentially a pending UFA due to his qualifying offer being 4 million. Detroit has been trying to get rid of him for over a year now and I have read articles from last year talking about character and work ethic concerns.

As far as the Flyers go, there is no need to make a panic move. This is not a team who is going to make a legitimate cup run. They would be lucky to win a round in the playoffs. Also, until word comes out that Neuvirth is out long term a guy like Mrazek isn't going to provide a big upgrade. Hextall needs to be patient and if a good deal comes long which makes sense, fine, and that includes Mrazek. That being said, Detroit fans thinking that Hextall is all of a sudden going to panic and give up a 2nd or a 3rd and another conditional pick are going to be disappointed because it won't happen. Unless Holland is willing to come down on his price Hextall is more likely to trade for someone like Chad Johnson or Peter Budaj for a 5th.

You never know what can happen in the playoffs. Flyers have a solid offense and D is improving. If they can make the right deals at the deadline, they could be serious in the playoffs. Cup is unlikely, but it is unlikely for any team to be honest. I don't see why they would need "luck" to win a round. And any playoffs experience is good for their youth. They should try to win as much as they can.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

We get it, you think he sucks. Fine. But overrated? Get a clue. He and Howard are getting verbally trashed by a bunch of stat watchers who've never watched Detroit's abomination of a defense.
At no point did I say I think he sucks. I simply don't see the need to give up a half way decent asset (2nd round pick) for him for a number of reasons.

As far as your last comment goes. Detroit has been trying to dump him for about a year now with no luck. Vegas wouldn't even take him for nothing in the expansion draft. If he were that good they would have taken him and either kept him as a backup to MAF, or flipped him to another team for valuable assets. The fact of the matter is Mrazek is an ok starting goalie at best and more likely just a decent tandem goalie. Don't take it out on me or put words in my mouth because you have difficulty separating fact from fiction with your favorite teams players.

Reactions: ShelbyZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad