Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Travis Konecny re-signs with Flyers (6 years, $5.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Literally this thread is stupid. 6 years 5.5 is perfectly in line with exactly he was expecting long term. People were thinking 4.5 short term. What’s the fuss about?

Reactions: Devonator

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
I’m confused here.

if a guy plays 2nd/3rd Line “tweener” minutes, but puts up first line production, how is that seen as a negative? Aren't most good teams successful because they have players on all lines and D pairings outplaying their actual usage??

If anything, the fact that Konecny produces so well for such limited usage should be seen as a massive positive, no?

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Ah yes, he’s a Hawks fan, but Giroux is better than Toews! :sarcasm: :laugh:

For me it’s less about scoring and more about play driving. If a guy plays tweeter minutes and struggles to drive play, I just don’t think scoring rates in limited minutes with two elite players like Couturier/Giroux mean all that much. If he climbed into the top-30 for forwards by 5V5 scoring I could see it.

Um, you do realize that somebody else tagged me in this thread, because they thought it would be a good idea to try and gloat after a 2 game sample, don’t you? And you do realize that gloating after a 2-game, or 4-game sample is...not very smart? :laugh:

His most common forward linemates last season were Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier. Those are two elite players. His time on ice per game was 15:16, which was 194th among forwards. 31 multiplied by 6 is 186, so on average, each team has 6 forwards who played more minutes than him. Your team in particular had 5 forwards who played at least 1:17 more than him, and Nolan Patrick played 11 fewer seconds. Those are 2nd/3rd line tweener minutes.

Konecny played 14:59 TOI/GP (7th among Flyers forwards, behind Scott Laughton) AFTER Hakstol was fired. That was A) 7th among Flyers forwards, B) 54 fewer seconds than Scott Laughton, C) 201st among forwards league-wide, and D) fewer minutes than Hakstol played him for per game. His minutes were reduced after Hakstol was fired so not sure why you keep bringing Hakstol up.

Hertl was 49th in TOI/GP for forwards. Couture was 62nd. Malkin at the age of 32 was 55th. By comparison, Konecny is 194th...so, no? What the heck were you thinking trying to make those comparisons? :laugh:

Provorov’s production isn’t exactly anything special. He’s 30th in 5V5 P/60 among defensemen with at least 2,500 minutes over the past 2 seasons, but he also gets out-scored over that sample by your new offensive dynamo Justin Braun. And he’s got a pretty high secondary assist rate which could be due to playing with two elite forwards. Regardless, while that’s “top-pair scoring”, it’s not nearly enough for me to disregard his awful underlying metrics in his role. And a bonus fact, over the past two years, his PP scoring rate of 1.53 points/60 is DEAD LAST among defensemen with at least 200 minutes there. I know you were probably not talking about PP and I won’t hold that against him here since we’re talking about 1st pair performance which is generally at ES or 5V5, but it’s worth noting.

You'd be hard pressed to find a Hawks fan that wouldn't admit G is and has been better than Toews for a very long time now let alone any neutral fan.

At this point Couturier is better as well. Toews isn't relied upon defensively nearly as much the last 4 years than he was in his prime selke contending years.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I’m confused here.

if a guy plays 2nd/3rd Line “tweener” minutes, but puts up first line production, how is that seen as a negative? Aren't most good teams successful because they have players on all lines and D pairings outplaying their actual usage??

If anything, the fact that Konecny produces so well for such limited usage should be seen as a massive positive, no?

Don't be confused by that posters poor attempt at logic

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
All eyes on him tonight, looking to see how he does

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
All eyes on him tonight, looking to see how he does
Might not be his usual self.

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hoc...town/wcm/7cacb7d0-252c-42ac-a50e-b4576f6b8412

Half the Flyers are fighting a cold. The travel the Flyers have made over the past two weeks have clearly taken a toll: they were in Prague a week ago for a game against the Blackhawks (and a pre-season game in Switzerland before that), then they flew back to Philadelphia for a home game on Wednesday. Then they flew west Thursday.

Travis Konecny said he took a hydration test after the team arrived here in Vancouver and his number was so low, he wasn’t even on the chart.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Might not be his usual self.

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hoc...town/wcm/7cacb7d0-252c-42ac-a50e-b4576f6b8412

Half the Flyers are fighting a cold. The travel the Flyers have made over the past two weeks have clearly taken a toll: they were in Prague a week ago for a game against the Blackhawks (and a pre-season game in Switzerland before that), then they flew back to Philadelphia for a home game on Wednesday. Then they flew west Thursday.

Travis Konecny said he took a hydration test after the team arrived here in Vancouver and his number was so low, he wasn’t even on the chart.

He clearly drinks water like and 2nd/3rd line tweener. Massive overpay

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Neutral fan here, anyone debating this contract needs to go get a CT scan. 5.5 will look like a robbery of a deal in 2 years if not by the end of the year. 6 pts in his first 3 games while playing 15-16 mins a night and 2nd pp unit deployment? Heads need to be shook in this thread.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It’s silly how with all the contracts signed this off season this is the one still front and center on this board.

Shit the flyers signed a worse deal but we won’t talk about that lol.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If only the season were three games long, eh? You might have a point of some kind.

:)
Are you telling us your crystal ball told you TK is only playing 50 games this year? If his ceiling is 50 points, you better hope he doesn't play a full season. Bookmarked.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Are you telling us your crystal ball told you TK is only playing 50 games this year? If his ceiling is 50 points, you better hope he doesn't play a full season. Bookmarked.
Well, for his favorite player it has been something like that so this makes he thinks season is 50 games long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad