Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
rEZ59Iw.jpg

I went hard after picture 1 and it was completely off the cuff

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TB87

May 30, 2018
I'm going back and re-tracking those 15 Mason Millman games. I think exits under heavy pressure, entries under heavy pressure, and just passes under heavy pressure would be of interest to people. That's the norm for pro defenseman so it's worthwhile to see how he does in this particular area in junior. Defensive zone 1-on-1's, & offensive zone activations that lead to scoring chances for, goals for, scoring chances against, & goals against will be added to the data set too.

*Heavy Pressure defined as: forechecker and/or opponent at or within a sticks length away*

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I'm going back and re-tracking those 15 Mason Millman games. I think exits under heavy pressure, entries under heavy pressure, and just passes under heavy pressure would be of interest to people. That's the norm for pro defenseman so it's worthwhile to see how he does in this particular area in junior. Defensive zone 1-on-1's, & offensive zone activations that lead to scoring chances for, goals for, scoring chances against, & goals against will be added to the data set too.

*Heavy Pressure defined as: forechecker and/or opponent at or within a sticks length away*
You should track it like a quarterback and call them "hurries"

Hurried pass completion, hurried zone exits, etc

Would quantify quick decision making i.e. hockey IQ

TB87

May 30, 2018
You should track it like a quarterback and call them "hurries"

Hurried pass completion, hurried zone exits, etc

Would quantify quick decision making i.e. hockey IQ

Quantifying or at least attempting to quanity quick decision making is definitely the goal. That’s a vitally important skill.

Players who think fast, play fast >>>>>>> slow-witted dumb dumbs

Reactions: DancingPanther

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I just listened. Good stuff. It was kinda weird listening to people talk about our prospects who've actually watched them play. Definitely not the norm.

Not just that, but Ted openly said he didn't want to comment on Tristen Robbins because he's never seen him play. I don't know why it's so hard for people to do that, but it's exactly what I want to hear. No one is going to get to every player in a draft.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not just that, but Ted openly said he didn't want to comment on Tristen Robbins because he's never seen him play. I don't know why it's so hard for people to do that, but it's exactly what I want to hear. No one is going to get to every player in a draft.

Jokke also did in previous ones with some guys in CHL too...

and if it comes to anyone in Russia outside of national team guys I have no clue haha. I am seriously lagging on USHL guys now as well. Going to try and at least watch the top 10 or so guys there before the draft but might be tough. Still working through some interesting CHL guys as well as doing a little CHL draft year stats project vs historical seasons. And even there have to cherrypick who I want to watch.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Zamula vs. Romanov HockeyProspecting Draft Tool Comparison.png

This is a fun thing.

I haven't been able to catch KHL games this season so I can't really comment on how Romanov's played.

Not surprising in the least bit that Zamula looks better via Byron's NHLe model.

Unless I am mistaken, Romanov is primarily tasked in the KHL with heavy defensive duties?

I was thinking of sharing another one of these NHLe comparison pics with a certain 2nd RD pick but I've learned that we can't actually have discussions about this player because the conversation gets taken over by people who haven't actually watched him play (outside of the WJC).

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Imagine a world where people admit their ignorance.

You'll never see me in the NHL draft thread (outside of memeing) because I don't watch the prospects pre-draft. I have nothing to offer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course this is a bit silly given York and Brink are still in college:

Flyers' best college prospect? Excitement building around ascension of Cates

However, this is interesting:

"Sandelin, a three-time national champion head coach, recalled a weekend in February when the Bulldogs lost Cates' older brother Jackson Cates to an injury for the rest of the season, which forced Minnesota Duluth to shift the younger Cates to center.
"He didn’t really miss a beat," Sandelin said.
"That’s what I love about him, he doesn’t care, he just wants to play. He played center in junior hockey, as well, and even according to the coaches, he really excelled there.

Watching him in the WJC-20, I thought he had a very high hockey IQ and thought about him as a future 4C, and the fact he has center experience just feeds into that idea. He should be around 6'2 200 when he gets to Philly, maybe a Sushko - Cates - Laczynski line down the road where they can move around (Sushko is a LH who plays RW, Cates a LH who has played LW and C, and Laczynski a RW who has played C and RW).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Imagine a world where people admit their ignorance.

You'll never see me in the NHL draft thread (outside of memeing) because I don't watch the prospects pre-draft. I have nothing to offer.
Same. I know f***-all about the CBA and I don't watch the majority of the non-AHL prospects enough to have any kind of meaningful opinion (unless you can see they have a glaring deficiency or clearly excel at something in a small sample).

I do the same thing with the Eagles and Sixers threads too. I'm a fan of both teams but I never post anything there because I don't follow the leagues closely enough to know intricate details.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I don’t know who needs to hear this, but no, Noah Cates isn’t the Flyers best college prospect.

He’s in the top 4 for sure. Firmly at #4. Which is nothing to shake a stick at. York, Brink, & Wyatt the 1st are good prospects.

*Cates has solid (great?) bottom 6 potential without a doubt though*

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don’t know who needs to hear this, but no, Noah Cates isn’t the Flyers best college prospect.

He’s in the top 3 for sure. Firmly at #3. Which is nothing to shake a stick at.

Yeah, he strikes me like Laczynski, a bottom six guy but a really good bottom six guy, a middle six guy except the Flyers are so deep in top six guys:
G, Couts, Voracek, Farabee, Hayes, TK, JVR, Frost [Patrick, Lindblom].

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

He’s in the top 3 for sure. Firmly at #3. Which is nothing to shake a stick at.
Firmly?

Speaking of which, I know there is no rush, but why is Kalynuk still unsigned?

TB87

May 30, 2018
Firmly?

Dang nabbit. How could I forget about Wyatt the 1st???

I have failed you all and I am so sorry.

Cates is firmly the #4 college prospect.

Geez, what a whiff on my part.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have Cates ahead of Kalynuk, I'm still skeptical of Kalynuk's upside, given his age.
Whereas Cates has steadily progressed and is still only 21.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I can't fathom why Kalynuk would stay another year. He'd be turning 24 when he signs his first contract. I thought he should have left after his sophomore season.

If he just doesn't want to sign here, than fine. I would totally understand that. Being a left-handed defenseman in our organization is no picnic.

I'm sure plenty of teams would offer a pick for his rights. At this point, I'm not counting on him being in our system.

Last edited:
Reactions: renberg and TB87

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Dang nabbit. How could I forget about Wyatt the 1st???

I have failed you all and I am so sorry.

Cates is firmly the #4 college prospect.

Geez, what a whiff on my part.

I've sort of mentally moved on from Kalynuk, unfortunately. For NCAA, I'd go Brink, York, and then a slight edge to the TanMan over Cates. Even though Cates has won me over.

Cates is the final prospect in my rankings I'd describe as a pretty heavy favorite to have a lengthy NHL career.

1. Frost
2. Brink
3. York
4. Zamula
5. Laczynski
6. Cates

*Don't know if Sandin counts as a prospect.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I've sort of mentally moved on from Kalynuk, unfortunately. For NCAA, I'd go Brink, York, and then a slight edge to the TanMan over Cates. Even though Cates has won me over.

Cates is the final prospect in my rankings I'd describe as a pretty heavy favorite to have a lengthy NHL career.

1. Frost
2. Brink
3. York
4. Zamula
5. Laczynski
6. Cates

*Don't know if Sandin counts as a prospect.

Between his frame and some skating and shooting ability Allison scream "guy that NHL GMs take a shot on till somehow he has played 400 games even if none of his career has been very good":laugh:

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Between his frame and some skating and shooting ability Allison scream "guy that NHL GMs take a shot on till somehow he has played 400 games even if none of his career has been very good":laugh:

If Allison can stay healthy I think most of his career will be very good, if he's willing to pay the price as a PF.
Good PFs are rare these days, too many big guys want to be finesse forwards (Voracek, JVR for example), so big guys who'll go to the blue paint and have the hands to make plays are invaluable.
Though to give AV credit, he has both Voracek and JVR playing more physical and back checking, but it's all relative, neither reminds you of Simmonds.
Hayes could be a good PF when he's pushed to RW if he's willing to make that adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad