Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I've sort of mentally moved on from Kalynuk, unfortunately. For NCAA, I'd go Brink, York, and then a slight edge to the TanMan over Cates. Even though Cates has won me over.

Cates is the final prospect in my rankings I'd describe as a pretty heavy favorite to have a lengthy NHL career.

1. Frost
2. Brink
3. York
4. Zamula
5. Laczynski
6. Cates

*Don't know if Sandin counts as a prospect.

my bad. I should’ve been more clear. My ranking was of the best college prospects still playing NCAA hockey.

**I’m assuming Kalynuk isn’t signing this spring/summer and is going back for his senior year**

Reactions: Stizzle

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Anyone watch Attard play this year?
He had a pretty good season for a late bloomer who just turned 21 in March.
What makes him intriguing is size and decent skills, being RH and having a goal scoring knack. That's hard to find.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Anyone watch Attard play this year?
He had a pretty good season for a late bloomer who just turned 21 in March.
What makes him intriguing is size and decent skills, being RH and having a goal scoring knack. That's hard to find.

Still needs to improve his skating... but if he can he has the skillset to be a good bottom pairing NHLer I think.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
my bad. I should’ve been more clear. My ranking was of the best college prospects still playing NCAA hockey.

**I’m assuming Kalynuk isn’t signing this spring/summer and is going back for his senior year**

Who knows if they even have college sports in 20-21.

Reactions: renberg

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Who knows if they even have college sports in 20-21.

upload_2020-5-6_9-23-47.gif

Reactions: Curufinwe

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I can't fathom why Kalynuk would stay another year. He'd be turning 24 when he signs his first contract. I thought he should have left after his sophomore season.

If he just doesn't want to sign here, than fine. I would totally understand that. Being a left-handed defenseman in our organization is no picnic.

I'm sure plenty of teams would offer a pick for his rights. At this point, I'm not counting on him being in our system.
Agreed, at this point his upside might be a pick in return. He might be able to make it in the NHL someday, but he has to try to do it soon, and it likely won't be in Philly. He's a good late blooming prospect, but with Zamula and York coming, all the young studs, and the need for a vet presence, the numbers game isn't looking good for him.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'll bail the second someone says he's going back for his Senior year.

I also did that for Laczynski and Allison, but I don't expect staying and signing to be the norm when taken in the macro sense. I'd rather let the exceptions pleasantly surprise me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With Provorov, Sanheim, Zamula and York ahead of him (Sanheim a year older, Provorov same age), and Millman behind him, not a lot of room or need for Kalynuk as a mobile LHD.

I could see them moving him for a pick or in a deal for RHD prospect.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'm not bailing on him yet. It's just weird.
Just being realistic. If he signs, can he earn a spot on the Flyers over Ghost or even Hagg? If he doesn't make it this year, will Zamula pass him by next year, and York the year after?

As always, I include my Prospect Proviso: I hope he signs, comes to camp in November, beats out Provy for 1D, wins the Calder, Norris, Hart and Conn Smythe trophies, only to have his name misspelled on the Stanley Cup, along with Konency's.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think Ghost is going to be here much longer and Kalynuk is a better player than Hagg (not like they wouldn't consider Hagg an option regardless). Zamula is going to need to start in the AHL. I'd personally pencil Kalynuk in on the third pair to start next season and see what happens. He'll be 23 going on 24. Not to the same level obviously, but he can bring some of what Ghost brings for the fraction of the cost and if he flops it's not like you don't have options. I don't really want to here the competition angle. Look at what the Flyers had in the AHL last year - Friedman and nobody else.

If Kalynuk were looking for the quickest path to the NHL, apparently he could have been a free agent last summer if he chose.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Kalynuk is another traitor, just like Tanner before him. :nod:

Don't forget that Kalynuk is actually slightly older than Tanner. Tanner going back last year seemingly made no sense. Kalynuk going back this year would be even more egregious because he'd be entering pro hockey over a year older than even Tanner did.

I'll bail the second someone says he's going back for his Senior year.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but that's my assumption already. We'll see.

Nah, my bad. I should have figured.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The 20-21 NHL season might not start till December, or next year.

The 20-21 college hockey season may be canceled entirely.

If I was Kalynuk and I didn't need the signing bonus right now, I would wait, too.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I don't think Ghost is going to be here much longer .....
I'd personally pencil Kalynuk in on the third pair to start next season and see what happens. He'll be 23 going on 24. Not to the same level obviously, but he can bring some of what Ghost brings for the fraction of the cost and if he flops it's not like you don't have options. I don't really want to here the competition angle. Look at what the Flyers had in the AHL last year - Friedman and nobody else.
Fair points. I'm not against signing him, obviously, but if he won't, then they might have to trade him. And if they do deal Ghost, he would be ideally placed for a shot at filling a spot. Not a long term fixture, maybe a stopgap though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Zamula and York are almost certain to be on the roster in 2021-22, if not to start the season, by January or so.
Unless there is no college season, in which case York might decide to sign before the NHL season and start in the AHL.
Kalynuk can take his time, at least until he knows what's happening in college, b/c I presume he can sign anytime until he actually goes to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad