Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
He made an absolutely terrible read in the third where he pinched with absolutely zero play on the puck leading to a two on one.

Hronek has been quite poor in the playoffs. His next contract will be very interesting.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The Canucks must resign this guy.

GMhXrcub0AEqUQ6.jpg

rea

Feb 8, 2011
The Canucks must resign this guy.

View attachment 863149
I think the canucks need to resign themselves to the idea re-signing him at his proposed ask is fallacy, on which we can hope he resigns himself to the idea he isn't worth that much, and re-signs for a fair amount. Otherwise hopefully he just resigns himself from the team so they don't have to re-sign him, and use that money to re-sign other needs. 😏

Reactions: Flik

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Klingberg 2.0
Good luck getting more than 6.5mil/yr because Zadarov outperformed him in everyway possible since the playoffs.

That slap pass in the 3rd from right circle to left circle which landed on no ones land and results in a giveaway will remain one of the funniest shit ever.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
Hard to believe he’s 25 years old and last night was only his 5th playoff game in his career. Sergachev in Tampa is 25 years old and he played in his 100th playoff game the other night.

• Wow
Reactions: M2Beezy

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I’d rather re-sign Zadorov and cash in on Hronek than have Hronek cash-in on the team and lose Zadorov for nothing. It’s basic asset management not even accounting for how much more of an impact Zadorov has had when it matters most.
Its hard to not come to this conclusion. I was never crazy about paying through the teeth for a player that wasn't driving his own pairing. The fact that his play has steadily declined this calendar year makes a big long term contract even more concerning. I'm definitely not going into the 7s for Hronek, and frankly, I wouldn't want to go much higher than $6 million. I know taxes screw the comparison up, but Forsling at $5.75 million makes it tough to pay mid to high sixes for Hronek.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Trade him to someone who thinks he's a Top 2-4 dman.

Coupled with him being a RHD, there should be a good market.

Cash in and use the assets to address the Top 6/get another Top 4 dman.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Since he is 1 year away from UFA status the only arbitration award possible is a 1 year term.

I think that will also make him not tradeable

It doesn't make him not tradeable. Ottawa has done that with both Stone and Debrincat. Calgary with Tkachuk etc.

Ideally you are able to arrange for a sign and trade to maximize trade value (or sign a long term extension) but otherwise taking the player to arbitration basically just sets a timeline for either a trade or an extension and a guarantee that the player will be under contract with the team for another year. For a contending team that's not a bad thing.

There's also no restrictions on trading a player after the acceptance of an arbitration award, although you have to wait until January 1st to sign an extension/sign and trade.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
It doesn't make him not tradeable. Ottawa has done that with both Stone and Debrincat. Calgary with Tkachuk etc.

debrincat is a terrible precedent for the canucks. ottawa gave up #7 overall, a 2nd and a 3rd and then got #26 overall, kubalik and some trash back

Reactions: Hodgy and F A N

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Ideally you are able to arrange for a sign and trade to maximize trade value (or sign a long term extension) but otherwise taking the player to arbitration basically just sets a timeline for either a trade or an extension and a guarantee that the player will be under contract with the team for another year. For a contending team that's not a bad thing.

There's also no restrictions on trading a player after the acceptance of an arbitration award, although you have to wait until January 1st to sign an extension/sign and trade.
Oops I thought if a player take an arbitration award it makes them not tradable.

Did I mix it up with taking an offer sheet?

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I honestly don't want him back. The number it would take to re-sign him is better spent on guys that are producing and bring useful elements to the team. Hronek's a RHD? Great! But it doesn't mean squat if he can never get his shot through. He shoots it wide or gets it blocked more often than he gets it on net. He's not that great defensively. He doesn't QB the PP. He's not super physical. So what exactly is he bringing to the table that's worth 6.5-7.0+? I didn't like the trade when it happened, still don't like it today. Yzerman fleeced us. I'd like to see him moved for a pick and take his money and spend it elsewhere.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For the Canucks, it's 'good news', 'bad news' story with Hronek. His play down the stretch and so far into these playoffs is so far below what it was at the start of the season, his contract numbers are bound to be coming down.

The 'bad news' is that other than Hughes, Zadorov has been their best d-man. And he's an impending UFA. Knowing next to nothing about the Canucks 'cap strategy' going forward, it's still going to be a tough pill to swallow, if Hronek's contract ultimately prevents them from re-upping Zadorov.

Reactions: David71

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I’d rather re-sign Zadorov and cash in on Hronek than have Hronek cash-in on the team and lose Zadorov for nothing. It’s basic asset management not even accounting for how much more of an impact Zadorov has had when it matters most.

Two months ago I would have called this a crazy take but unless Hronek has come down considerably from his, frankly, delusional demands, I agree. 8M defensemen don't all but disappear from two months plus be a complete non-factor in the playoffs.

Zadorov is showing he has more to give whereas Hronek is showing the exact opposite. Now to be fair, Hronek is only 25. That's still fairly young for a defenseman but take a shorter term deal then and show us you're worth 8-9M in the future because you aren't worth it now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Given all the punishment he and Hughes are taking, particularly in their own zone, it wouldn't shock me if Hronek is trying to play through some sort of injury.

He's not the biggest guy in the world, and the Preds have singled out that pairing for special punishment in the defensive end. But overall, he's had a decent season or Vancouver. And at just 25 his best years as a d-man could well be ahead of him.

And he's still an RFA. So the Canucks could still sign him to a one-year 'show me' contract. Of course they'd be risking losing him as a UFA at the end of next season. But if they can't get a longer-term deal done by the March TDL in 2025, they could still deal him and he'd still be in demand.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I watched the replay of game 2 yesterday and quite honestly, Hronek is so goddamn atrocious with his decision making.

I’m not even gonna bother talking about the boneheaded play he made back to the point on the empty net against.

On the very first goal, he chases the puck as it’s rimmed around and Pettersson gets beaten to the puck. Hronek pauses for a moment and sees Beauvillier cut infront, and makes such a piss poor effort tying him up that Beauvillier is able to get one of the wackiest tip shots I’ve ever seen. His ability to track his man is terrible.

So many times he lets his man get a complete uncontested shot off and it’s infuriating. His gap control and his spacing is just so off.

View attachment 859533
View attachment 859534

Soucy, Zadorov, Myers, and to an extent Juulsen have good to brilliant levels of gap closing and positioning and it’s rare for them to simply let a clean shot off net. Hughes locks his man down and is able to stay infront of his man which is another brilliant way of being able to get infront of the attacker. Hronek? He holds this weird perpendicular angle to the net that quite literally blocks his goaltenders vision and has his entire body turned towards the boards, unable to leverage his stick or body to box or move his attacker to the perimeter, instead allowing his attacker to simply either drive the net or get a clean shot off, in this instance an attacker on his off f***ing side.

His shot selections at the point are bizarre and often get blocked as he has no sort of accuracy to his shot whatsoever. His Hail Mary stretch passes we’ve seen over the course of the season are easily read and neutralized.

In my eyes, he’s not worth the long term investment. Too many defensive flaws.
Lots of homers here who think he is in the same towr as Towes or Frosling.

He’s not, not even close.

If he wants more than 7, he needs to be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad