Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
It's really mind-blowing that anyone would think Hagg was better than Morin, or more NHL ready.

Especially Hextall... he gets rid of Grossmann because he was a big/slow/strong/dumb dinosaur who can't play in the modern NHL... then he adds Grossmann 2.0???? I don't get it.

Two full seasons of hockey in the SHL plus 3 full AHL seasons and the reputation of a former second round pick may have a GM thinking that it's sink or swim time. And Hägg was actually one of those rare cases that looked better playing against men at a younger age in Sweden than after his draft in the AHL and unlike Morin he did not have to grow into his body.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wanna see Morin skate and move after that long rehab period before drawing any comparisons.
Maybe I'm way too skeptical but nobody can forsee how the knee is holding up and in the bigger picture it remains to be seen if it was all bad luck or injuries remain a pattern for him.

There's also the fact that we have no idea how Fletcher views Morin.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Morin remains below Hagg on the depth chart going forward, and eventually gets moved.

Reactions: DaphneLion

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
"Bust potential" seems a rather arbitrary concept. Probably every person defines it differently too. It also skews the argument towards floor over ceiling.

I imagine I view a few players as having a decently high bust potential that others wouldn't dream of.
I love it when you talk to me about bust potential

Reactions: Magua and VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's really mind-blowing that anyone would think Hagg was better than Morin, or more NHL ready.

Especially Hextall... he gets rid of Grossmann because he was a big/slow/strong/dumb dinosaur who can't play in the modern NHL... then he adds Grossmann 2.0???? I don't get it.

Hagg is more mobile than Grossman, his problem is more mental, he's just not a good passer out of the D-zone, neither is Gudas for that matter. And Gudas was as bad as Hagg starting out. It would help Hagg if Wilson de-emphasizes the hitting and have him focus more on positioning.

Morin didn't show that much, that's sorta of an urban myth around here, it's not like watching Sanheim or Myers, where you know the talent is there, all that's lacking is experience.
The love of Morin is basically b/c he's a freak of nature, someone that big shouldn't move that fast (in a straight line), but the Pronger comparisons were silly.
But other than a big slapshot from the point (which won't work as well in the NHL b/c defenders are quicker and block shots), I never saw much of an offensive skill package, and he can be turned around by quicker forwards.

He should be fine, ACL repairs are pretty routine these days and he's had no setbacks.
We'll see if he's made any improvements in his game come March.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You can hit and play positional hockey. Heave to make forwards pay a price. Our d has along way to go as they are all to young to do it on there own. We need two high end vets to play in the top four but it's hard to get them.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
A
Hagg is more mobile than Grossman, his problem is more mental, he's just not a good passer out of the D-zone, neither is Gudas for that matter. And Gudas was as bad as Hagg starting out. It would help Hagg if Wilson de-emphasizes the hitting and have him focus more on positioning.

Morin didn't show that much, that's sorta of an urban myth around here, it's not like watching Sanheim or Myers, where you know the talent is there, all that's lacking is experience.
The love of Morin is basically b/c he's a freak of nature, someone that big shouldn't move that fast (in a straight line), but the Pronger comparisons were silly.
But other than a big slapshot from the point (which won't work as well in the NHL b/c defenders are quicker and block shots), I never saw much of an offensive skill package, and he can be turned around by quicker forwards.

He should be fine, ACL repairs are pretty routine these days and he's had no setbacks.
We'll see if he's made any improvements in his game come March.
ACL surgery's they do on you and i are not the same ones they do to atheletes . You and i they take a piece form our thigh to help re attach in athletes they sew it to the patella tendon . It is a specialty surgery not done by alot of people . It creates the strongest bond but also has the longest rehab and post surgery ache or tendonitis can be a bitch . A couple kids on teams i scouted for had this operation , in the end all was good but one had way more trouble than the other .

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
13amJuR.png

Thanks, Kjell. Hopefully Fletch gives him more of a shot than Hextall would've.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ol' Fletch won't even promote Myers or NAK halfway thru their 2nd & 3rd AHL seasons. :laugh: He'd rather play Folin or Lehtera. :shakehead

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thanks, Kjell. Hopefully Fletch gives him more of a shot than Hextall would've.

Kjell has a point, as the NHL gets faster, players have to make quicker decisions than in the past, I think this has been one reason the Flyer PP struggled this year, too many players used to being able to hold the puck for the perfect pass find the windows close faster.

I think that's partially how a player is wired, but partially just experience, after you've seen a situation a couple hundred times, you can make good decisions faster because you're not thinking but reacting - b/c it takes time for pattern recognition to become second nature. For an elite few, it's hard wired (Gretzky) but for most it's a matter of learning to max out your Hockey IQ (and for some it's just hopeless).

Reactions: wasup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad