Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
But that would require trading for someone good to improve the team.

I really don't understand what some people want. It's like you're determined to be miserable. They signed a 7MM per UFA and we keep getting signs they're in on most big available names. They're clearly trying to improve the team in meaningful ways even if I disagree with some of their player evaluations.

There's so much to criticize without resorting to this stuff. Is this just one of those LAND THE PLANE, SAM takes wearing skates?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Same old nonsense, there are no favorites, look how many so called "favorites" have been discarded.

What really happens is fans fall in love with a prospect who hasn't done anything, and note all the warts of a veteran who is less talented, but more experienced.

Hextall has a different approach, he'll grind his teeth over a limited veteran, but he doesn't want to see a prospect struggling at the NHL level, regressing due to his struggles, when he can be developing in the AHL. For every player who works through his struggles, two regress to the point where they have to be sent down (Sanheim last year, as Ted showed, he was terrible his last month before he got benched).

AMac came back too quickly, but the only alternative is Folin.
Myers has already showed that fans exaggerated his NHL readiness, you could see that in preseason if you didn't have blinders on.
Not a surprise, Myers didn't get big CHL minutes until his post-draft season, then lost a bunch of time to injury, so we're talking a late bloomer with limited experience - waiting a half-year or so is not the end of the world.
Friedman, not Myers, is the obvious callup to replace AMac if he doesn't get his legs back, but he's only in his 2nd AHL season, and most defensemen take longer to mature than forwards.

When Hextall decides that Morin, Myers and/or Friedman are ready to start in the NHL, AMac will quietly move on.
Next year in his eyes, Ghost, Provorov, Gudas and even Sanheim and Hagg in their 3rd seasons should be enough of a veteran core to carry a couple kids.

Reactions: hatcher

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
56ECD315-0E07-49B2-AAC3-BD442F28D080.jpeg

It’s rimmmmmmmmmmmmer time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Myers starts next season in the AHL I won’t watch anymore.

Who is he going to play over on the Flyers?

Their "top 6" are all still under contract next season and so is Hakstol.

Myers is screwed.

Reactions: Asnito

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Who is he going to play over on the Flyers?

Their "top 6" are all still under contract next season and so is Hakstol.

Myers is screwed.

Best hope is one of MacDonald or Gudas is traded. Not sure it happens though. To be fair Gudas seems to be playing pretty well right now. MacDonald... well he looks a lot worse than last season and that's a concern. Injury or not he needs to be a lot better. Right now though it doesn't seem like anyone is beating down the door to take his job. Next season who knows. I hope Myers looks like a stud in camp and grabs a spot. If that happens then they would probably just demote MacDonald, assuming no trade option was available. A lot can happen before then though and with an in-season injury call up he can improve his stock.

The soon to be lame duck coach better be on notice. Win at least a round this year or go.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You guys that want Myers here now or are wanting him here right away really have no clue on development . He showed improvement last year in the AHL but has struggled so far this year in both preseason and early in AHL . So much of playing is feeling confident when you are out there and forcing a guy into a situation he is not confident in will hinder his development . The we want him here now or in one month no matter what because he will solve all our problems is short sighted and counter productive to his development .
When Friedman played he has showed more poise and steadiness which means he is closer to ready but he is only filling role 5/6 when they do call Myers up it will to be to fill role 3/4 . Forcing guys paths ain't helping no one , relax .

Reactions: hatcher

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I dunno if he struggled in preseason. It does sound like he had issues to start the AHL season, particularly in the 7-0 game.

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
You guys that want Myers here now or are wanting him here right away really have no clue on development . He showed improvement last year in the AHL but has struggled so far this year in both preseason and early in AHL . So much of playing is feeling confident when you are out there and forcing a guy into a situation he is not confident in will hinder his development . The we want him here now or in one month no matter what because he will solve all our problems is short sighted and counter productive to his development .
When Friedman played he has showed more poise and steadiness which means he is closer to ready but he is only filling role 5/6 when they do call Myers up it will to be to fill role 3/4 . Forcing guys paths ain't helping no one , relax .
Myers is already good enough to be in the NHL. Working out the kinks and learning while playing in the NHL is not an absurd possibility. Not every prospect is guaranteed to bust just because they aren't ready for the expected role.

Reactions: JPS and Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Right now, Myers would be our 4th best defensemen. He should be in the NHL, where he can continue to grow his game while helping the Flyers at the same time.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Myers is already good enough to be in the NHL. Working out the kinks and learning while playing in the NHL is not an absurd possibility. Not every prospect is guaranteed to bust just because they aren't ready for the expected role.
He's aready good enough ? Take your rose colored glasses off please . I am not saying bust at all and did not write that either , but i did say he has not looked confident with the puck or decision making so far this year , too many mistakes . Spending time in the AHL maturing ain't going to kill him either just like having him on the big club ain't going to fix the the Flyers .

Reactions: Asnito and Danko

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I really don't understand what some people want. It's like you're determined to be miserable. They signed a 7MM per UFA and we keep getting signs they're in on most big available names. They're clearly trying to improve the team in meaningful ways even if I disagree with some of their player evaluations.

There's so much to criticize without resorting to this stuff. Is this just one of those LAND THE PLANE, SAM takes wearing skates?
It is amazing how content this fan base has become with mediocrity. It has been 6 full years since this team won a playoff round and I think it is a stone cold lock that it will be 7 after this year. This is Hextall’s 5th season. It’s his job to find a way to improve this team. He came back with the same crap defense, goaltending and coaching that was embarrassed by Pittsburgh last season. But signing JVR excuses that I guess.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
While I agree Hak and Lappy should have been replaced, I don't know why you'd want to trade for a goalie to block Hart and Sandstrom, or another dman to block Myers.

Reactions: flyersjim73

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
While I agree Hak and Lappy should have been replaced, I don't know why you'd want to trade for a goalie to block Hart and Sandstrom, or another dman to block Myers.
Who is going to be our goalies next year? Hart and Stolie?

As for Dmen, in a perfect world, that added Dman replaces AMac. And "when ready", Myers replaces Gudas.

But we also know Hak will play AMac until he is removed. Just like VDV. Just like Flip. etc...

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think the blocking argument is dumb at this point because I have no faith as to when and how much this organization will play this guys. Sanheim is getting the least amount of time of the 6 regular defensemen. I thought the whole point of a slow development at the AHL level was so these guys can hit the ground running yet they are still being spoon fed. And what makes you think Myers is going to replace one of Gudas and MacDonald next season or should we except this crap again. Besides they signed JVR which blocks Farabee and Radcliffe.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He wasn't awful in preseason. That's imaginary.

If anything will hurt his confidence it's knowing that outplaying multiple people and being NHL ready doesn't matter on this team. A hopeless feeling of having no control over your own destiny, no matter how well you play, is something that definitely hurts a guys confidence.

There's no reason he couldn't develop in the NHL, like Ghost did. And it's not like this team waits until guys are NHL ready to bring them up either, because if that was the case Hagg and Goulbourne would never have stepped on the ice last year.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
It's a total effect. Two areas on ice are sub-standard (goalie and defense), two behind the bench (HC, PK-coach). GMRH goes and gets a valuable forward, one who will easily improve the team, at a position of already perceived strength.

So while the JVR signing can/should be celebrated, it's not the panacea to what ails this club.

Reactions: Asnito

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It is amazing how content this fan base has become with mediocrity. It has been 6 full years since this team won a playoff round and I think it is a stone cold lock that it will be 7 after this year. This is Hextall’s 5th season. It’s his job to find a way to improve this team. He came back with the same crap defense, goaltending and coaching that was embarrassed by Pittsburgh last season. But signing JVR excuses that I guess.

If you think I'm largely happy with this org or mediocrity, you're not listening. You're just spewing generic nonsense at this point.

There are two discussions here and you can't link them no matter how much you want to do so. There are player/coach evaluations and there is trying. They're not the same issue.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If you think I'm largely happy with this org or mediocrity, you're not listening. You're just spewing generic nonsense at this point.

There are two discussions here and you can't link them no matter how much you want to do so. There are player/coach evaluations and there is trying. They're not the same issue.
So trying and failing is ok for GM? At what point is it not ok? Next year? The year after? Does Hextall have an infinite amount of time to put a winner on the ice as long as he looks like he is trying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad