Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Actually it will, because he gets to play a lot of minutes, in all areas, and learn from mistakes.
Hextall has said repeatedly the NHL is NOT a developmental league, you come up when you're ready to play.
Sanheim wasn't ready last year and was sent down, when he returned, he was a better player.

The NHL is a development league

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The NHL is a development league
You mean guys don't come into the NHL as finished products?

At the very least there's a transition period for young players when they break into the league. Part of a good developmental program, and even coaching, is accepting that a young player is going to work through mistakes even at the NHL level. The hope is that they're a better option than what you currently have when they eventually figure it out. The Hakstol school of development is to hold rookies to a borderline impossible standard, and then bench them long stretches when they don't perform like a seasoned all star. Hextall's guilty of it as well with his rah-rah "you have to earn it 100% in camp" bullshit when it comes to younger players even making the roster.

It is possible for a team to keep a 50/50 guy on the roster to start the year (if the skill set in NHL caliber), deal with the mistakes that come with playing an inexperienced player, and still win hockey games. Often, the teams that do it are rewarded towards the end of the season with a player that can help them in playoff run.

Deady is grasping at straws as usual.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Highest standards people or nothing. Everything in life has to be held to the highest standard or why be here and the flyers were a high standard for alond time and with a decent GM we could get back but Hexy knows he doesnt have what it takes so he just drafts and trades vets for kids. High Standards in life isnt hard and in hockey its easier.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is the same nonsense as usual.

Hextall is doing what good franchises do, keeping players in the AHL until they're NHL ready so they're not over their heads.
It's not an exact science, but if he errs on the side of caution, we're talking months, not years.
The problem isn't mistakes, it's being over your head to the point that you can't learn from your mistakes because everything is happening too fast.

People want to promote the prospects because they don't like the current players, not because it'll help the development of the prospects.

There are a small handful of players around the league each year who make a rapid transition at a young age, the operative word is "small."

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Only 1 game for Frost? They don't seem to view Frost as a key cog. The Summer Showcase was clue 1. This is clue 2. Team Canada hates Flyers prospects as usual.

I could be off on this one but I think it might be common for them to divvy a large group into 2 squads for this tournament. Maybe just in recent years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The guys playing both games are D Markus Phillips, D Ryan Merkley, D Giovanni Vallati, F MacKenzie Entwistle, F Liam Foudy, F Barrett Hayton, F Ryan McLeod, F Akil Thomas, & F Owen Tippet.

F Nick Suzuki & F Ty Dellandrea are only playing in one game too.

Reactions: tymed

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Hextall is doing what good franchises do, keeping players in the AHL until they're NHL ready so they're not over their heads.
It's not an exact science, but if he errs on the side of caution, we're talking months, not years.
The problem isn't mistakes, it's being over your head to the point that you can't learn from your mistakes because everything is happening too fast.

People want to promote the prospects because they don't like the current players, not because it'll help the development of the prospects.

There are a small handful of players around the league each year who make a rapid transition at a young age, the operative word is "small."

I don’t think it’s an exact science either way. I think it’s more a case of some players can handle being over their heads and step up a level as they play in the NHL. Some players can’t handle being over their heads and go into a shell or regress. It’s up to mgmt to determine which players are which so they don’t ruin a young player’s development.

I am sure this isn’t anything enlightening but hopefully Hexy is making the right call on these guys even though it’s painful watching guys like Lehtera and McD play while Myers and NAK play in the A. I don’t think he is batting 1000 obviously.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think we'd all rather see Myers and NAK (or Twarynski or Rubtsov) than AMac, Weise and Lehtera.
But I don't want a team that sneaks into the playoffs each year and maybe gets to the second round.

To build a cup contender, we need to successfully develop another dozen or so player the next three years, from the top picks (Rubtsov, Frost, Farabee, O'Brien, Hart, Ratcliffe, Allison, NAK) to the later round guys (Twarynski, Laczynski, Sushko, Friedman, Kalynuk, Lycksell, Hogberg).

So if Hextall wants to be a little conservative, so be it. Better a half season late than two seasons of going up and down b/c they were rushed (Laughton).
I'm more interested in these players ready to hit the ground running in 2020-21 than force feeding them in 2018-19.
Because it will take 2-3 more years to fill out the roster, and most important, to finally get Hart settled in as the starter and Sandstrom, Ustimenko and Federov/Ersson in place as his insurance policies.
When the goalies are ready, the team around them should be able to compete with anyone - I want NHL dominance over the entire decade!

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland

If only he thought the same way with coaching...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I could be off on this one but I think it might be common for them to divvy a large group into 2 squads for this tournament. Maybe just in recent years.
There are 9 guys playing both games, though, so you'd have to think that those guys are the ones they're tagging for the WJC ahead of the others.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Only 1 game for Frost? They don't seem to view Frost as a key cog. The Summer Showcase was clue 1. This is clue 2. Team Canada hates Flyers prospects as usual.
Huh? We've had a decent run of prospects with Canada recently, and no real omissions. Frost hurt his chances with lackluster play in the OHL finals and the summer tourney.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Huh? We've had a decent run of prospects with Canada recently, and no real admissions. Frost hurt his chances with lackluster play in the OHL finals and the summer tourney.

I wouldn't say poor playoffs. But others in the ohl really stood out and frost took a backseat. In the Summer tournament he was the worst forward on team Canada.

Reactions: hatcher

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Huh? We've had a decent run of prospects with Canada recently, and no real omissions. Frost hurt his chances with lackluster play in the OHL finals and the summer tourney.

We have?

Konecny and Sanheim were both underused to the detriment of the team in their appearances.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hockey Canada & USA Hockey typically have a fair amount of incompetent people involved with the process. They just have the deepest talent pools of all the countries in the world.

Reactions: Stizzle

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Canada played a completely brain dead Jake Virtanen at RW PP1, while Konecny rotted on the 4th line.

Sanheim was used as the 6/7th defenseman while Haydn Fleury & Brandon Hickey were used as the shutdown pair (lol) and Joe Hicketts was deployed in a similar fashion to Drew Doughty if it were the last 5 minutes of Game 7.

No, we have not had a decent run with Hockey Canada.

Also, I went back and watched that USA v Canada game from the summer a month or so ago. The narrative of Frost playing poorly is way overblown. I thought he was fine. Not great, but fine, given the time he received. Going off memory, he made a couple nifty passes that weren't converted. Did well to draw a penalty. And overall, really just didn't play a ton since he wasn't given much special teams time.

I think the fact that Farabee, JOB, and Cates stood out in the game so it probably makes people exaggerate Frost's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad