Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [April-May 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
So they hold onto guys who are useless players and staff members: Cote, Lappy, Gordon, Haag, Vandevelde, Gk Coach, whole coaching staff, Homer and so on.

And they cut ties with players who will have very good careers elsewhere: Bob, Seidenberg, Pitkanen, Carter, Richards, Brindamour (coach), and all the people i forgot right now.

This has failling franchise written all over it.

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I still think Hexy's drafts weren't quite the massive problem they are made out to be. He went for high floor too often IMO (in hindsight), but where we really failed is in development. The age-old story. Regardless (nearly) of how well Charles drafts, if we don't fix that ...
we aren't, and won't

... we won't have any better luck.

So much this. If you are a consensus top 10, 5 ,3 prospect pool year after year and your development system hasn't managed to develop one clear cut top line/pair/starter then its probably safe to say the problem lies in development.

Who are the best the Flyers have developed in the last 7 years? Farabee, TK and Sanheim? I love all those players but if you haven't developed 1 player above their caliber in almost a decade it might be time to fix that part of your organization.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
So much this. If you are a consensus top 10, 5 ,3 prospect pool year after year and your development system hasn't managed to develop one clear cut top line/pair/starter then its probably safe to say the problem lies in development.

Who are the best the Flyers have developed in the last 7 years? Farabee, TK and Sanheim? I love all those players but if you haven't developed 1 player above their caliber in almost a decade it might be time to fix that part of your organization.

To add to your point, Gap, Konecny never played for the Phantoms and Farabee played all of five games so there was no AHL development in their route to the Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Last two years, ES PP/60:

TK (63)
Farabee (70)
Laughton (97)

Top scorers under 25 [1000+ minutes]
McDavid (4)
Pastrnak (7)
Matthews (10)
Marner (11)
Ehlers (14)
Rantanen (17)
Vrana (19)
Point (21)
Connor (24)
Aho (31)
Nylander (37)
Fiala (39)
Barzal (40)
Boeser (59)
Kyrou (65)
Svechnikov (68)
Thomas (71)
Garland (72)
M Tkachuk (73)
DeBrincat (82)
Bratt (89)
Yamamoto (102)
Necas (108)
Beauvillier (121)
Hintz (133)
B Tkachuk (136)
Keller (141)
Suzuki (163)
Makar (170)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lehigh chose the 76 game schedule next year, which is good, a longer AHL season means an opportunity for college signees to get into a few games.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To add to your point, Gap, Konecny never played for the Phantoms and Farabee played all of five games so there was no AHL development in their route to the Flyers.

Top young talent rarely spend more than a month or two in the AHL, defensemen more time b/c the position is harder to master and it's easier to shelter forwards.

The AHL is really for the second tier talents who often emerge after a couple seasons sharpening their game.
Guorde, Verhaeghe, Dumoulin, etc.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
“I’m a big believer in fitness,” said Laperriere, a hard-nosed player in his 16-season NHL career. “Players that are going to play for me are going to have to be in shape, or I’ll get them in shape. They know that. Guys that know me, guys that I coached for the Flyers that will play for me next year here, they know that. I’m sure the word is going to spread. For me, to be a pro, you’ve got to be a pro 24 hours a day, inside the rink and away from the rink. It goes from nutrition to the way you act around town. You represent the logo. I’m a big believer in that. That’s my job to make sure everybody is on the same page.”

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
“I’m a big believer in fitness,” said Laperriere, a hard-nosed player in his 16-season NHL career. “Players that are going to play for me are going to have to be in shape, or I’ll get them in shape. They know that. Guys that know me, guys that I coached for the Flyers that will play for me next year here, they know that. I’m sure the word is going to spread. For me, to be a pro, you’ve got to be a pro 24 hours a day, inside the rink and away from the rink. It goes from nutrition to the way you act around town. You represent the logo. I’m a big believer in that. That’s my job to make sure everybody is on the same page.”

Poorly researched article

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So they hold onto guys who are useless players and staff members: Cote, Lappy, Gordon, Haag, Vandevelde, Gk Coach, whole coaching staff, Homer and so on.

And they cut ties with players who will have very good careers elsewhere: Bob, Seidenberg, Pitkanen, Carter, Richards, Brindamour (coach), and all the people i forgot right now.

This has failling franchise written all over it.

Vandevelde was let go in summer 2017.

Carter and Richards were traded for pretty good returns. Richards has been out the league for five years already. The "failling" Flyers would be in much worse shape if Homer hadn't made those moves.

Last edited:
Reactions: renberg and Redpath

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet

Sounds like he's trying to be a Brindy-type coach. Which would be great if he could pull it off to some degree. Fitness and Discipline! Worthy goals I guess. People seem to like the guy at least so we'll see what happens with that.

Still cant believe Gordon was there for 6 years. Where does the time go?

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Top young talent rarely spend more than a month or two in the AHL, defensemen more time b/c the position is harder to master and it's easier to shelter forwards.

The AHL is really for the second tier talents who often emerge after a couple seasons sharpening their game.
Guorde, Verhaeghe, Dumoulin, etc.

I agree, dead, but I was adding to the context of development.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Well, that's probably not a bad thing to stress to 20-23 year old players who've either dominated CHL competition or were hanging out on a college campus for 3 or 4 years, partying with teammates and banging coeds. It's an adjustment to the cut throat competition of the pro game where real money is at stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad