Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [April-May 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Vandevelde was let go in summer 2017.

Carter and Richards were traded for pretty good returns. Richards has been out the league for five years already. The "failling" Flyers would be in much worse shape if Homer hadn't made those moves.
Its a trend for a lot of years. We got a good return but the players we let go won multiple cups.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So much this. If you are a consensus top 10, 5 ,3 prospect pool year after year and your development system hasn't managed to develop one clear cut top line/pair/starter then its probably safe to say the problem lies in development.

Who are the best the Flyers have developed in the last 7 years? Farabee, TK and Sanheim?

There's also Provorov. So that's two top 6 wingers with 1st line upside, plus a top pairing dman and a good #3 ( I won't say which is which).

I don't know if development is why guys like Ratcliffe and Rubtsov look like busts. Foerster came in as a teenager with all these doubts about his skating, and somehow looked ten times as good in the AHL as they ever have. If Frost hadn't gotten hurt I think he would have been on a similar tier to Farabee right now.

I am skeptical we'll ever get anything out of JOB and Ginning, and they have been developing well away from Philly. Just take K'Andre Miller instead of trying to show how damn smart you are Hexy. :(

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sounds like he's trying to be a Brindy-type coach. Which would be great if he could pull it off to some degree. Fitness and Discipline! Worthy goals I guess. People seem to like the guy at least so we'll see what happens with that.

Still cant believe Gordon was there for 6 years. Where does the time go?
Like Brind’Amour, Laperriere is a health & fitness nut. He certainly practices what he preaches. You can see why they would like the idea of him teaching their young, newly-turned professionals good habits. In that respect, he seems ideal. He’s also a guy who should carry clout in convincing players to adjust their games to the pro level, since he did it himself.

Tactical skills are the big question. That’s hopefully where some experienced assistants will help.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There's also Provorov. So that's two top 6 wingers with 1st line upside, plus a top pairing dman and a good #3 ( I won't say which is which).

I don't know if development is why guys like Ratcliffe and Rubtsov look like busts. Foerster came in as a teenager with all these doubts about his skating, and somehow looked ten times as good in the AHL as they ever have. If Frost hadn't gotten hurt I think he would have been on a similar tier to Farabee right now.

I am skeptical we'll ever get anything out of JOB and Ginning, and they have been developing well away from Philly. Just take K'Andre Miller instead of trying to show how damn smart you are Hexy. :(

The irony there is that I believe New York is one of the teams Hextall was worried would reach for JOB with their 1st as well. I think maybe Chicago was the other. Otherwise he may have gone in the 2nd.

If you look at the 12 picks after JOB in the 1st, you could conservatively say that least 9 look like they have better NHL careers ahead of them.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

The players you mentioned aren't the caliber I am thinking of when I say "clear cut top line/pair/starter". I think they are very good but there is a reason you said Top 6 with top line upside. I'm talking guys that are bonified top line players that the organization has manged to develop from the middle or later of the first round. Its the one thing you consistently see from the organizations that are year in and year out contenders. I'm not saying they need to be all stars just clearly top caliber.

And I can see you arguing that one of Provorov or Sanheim is that level but I don't agree with it. And the fact that the point has to be argued means the distinction isn't really clear cut.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You know you’ve struck gold with a 47 year old first time head coach at any level — after flopping as an assistant — when his single best (only?) coaching quality involves “fitness.” It’s almost like they have other jobs for that not involving strategizing and development.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
You know you’ve struck gold with a 47 year old first time head coach at any level — after flopping as an assistant — when his single best (only?) coaching quality involves “fitness.” It’s almost like they have other jobs for that not involving strategizing and development.
We talking about Lappy or Brindy, here? :sarcasm:

(Coincidentally, Brindy was also named HC at age 47)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We talking about Lappy or Brindy, here? :sarcasm:

(Coincidentally, Brindy was also named HC at age 47)

Rod was a much better player (and thinker), not that it’s all important, who was marinated in Hurricane juices for years and years. Bill Peters was a douche, but he was an excellent systems guy and Babcock disciple, and Rod trained under him. Compare that to soaking in the flop sweat of Flyers Berube, Hakstol, Vigneault — while being bad himself at his own area of assistance.

Don’t get me wrong: Brindy could’ve backfired, but his teams remained elite at play driving and only improved in special teams, as they added talent. Surely, he provides more as a coach — and NHL coach — than talking about fitness and diet. Does Lappy? :laugh:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Just saw the Sandstrom news. I’m confused. It certainly seems to indicate he’s staying in North America, as he’s not going to be under contract with two franchises at the same time.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Rod was a much better player (and thinker), not that it’s all important, who was marinated in Hurricane juices for years and years. Bill Peters was a douche, but he was an excellent systems guy and Babcock disciple, and Rod trained under him. Compare that to soaking in the flop sweat of Flyers Berube, Hakstol, Vigneault — while being bad himself at his own area of assistance.

Don’t get me wrong: Brindy could’ve backfired, but his teams remained elite at play driving and only improved in special teams, as they added talent. Surely, he provides more as a coach — and NHL coach — than talking about fitness and diet. Does Lappy? :laugh:
I only made the connection because Brindy was also 47 when he got his first head coaching gig and clearly is also a "fitness" guy. Aside from being Canadian NHL players who became coaches, I think that covers all of their similarities. :laugh:

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
expansion exposure
He was already going to be that as an RFA (assuming they would have at least qualified him). It's the fact that he signed a Euro contract the other day, but now signed this contract and will be playing in NA next season.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He obviously never actually signed the Liiga contract. Sounds like reporters jumped the gun.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Sandstrom contract is expansion draft fodder. Or maybe it isn’t? Or maybe it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad