Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [April-May 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're talking ice hockey, not exactly a sport that requires a genius IQ to play.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
We're talking ice hockey, not exactly a sport that requires a genius IQ to play.

200.gif

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They did need an ED-eligible goaltender, as Lyon is also a UFA. So Sandstrom / Ustimenko on the Phantoms and Ersson in the SHL? Or will Laperriere determine rankings with a push-up contest?

An old story from high school. I was one of 3 goalies who tried out. We were all pretty good. The coach couldn't decide who to cut, so he said at final cuts, 'you're going to do ups and downs [falling to your knees and popping back up] and the first one who quits is cut.' It's like endless squats.

Needless to say we made ourselves practically puke but no one would quit, so we all made the team. I could hardly walk to the car after. Halfway through the year, for the big City wide Christmas tourney, he decided to rotate all 3 of us in-game, every time the other team scored, we'd change goalies. It was ridiculous. Sit for 2/3rd of a period, go in cold. Rinse, repeat.

It didn't produce better results, because we were all worried about getting yanked, and you can't play net that way. The team's captains finally intervened and asked him to stop, as it was disrupting the forwards and D too much, adjusting to a different goalie a couple or a few times a game.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
An old story from high school. I was one of 3 goalies who tried out. We were all pretty good. The coach couldn't decide who to cut, so he said at final cuts, 'you're going to do ups and downs [falling to your knees and popping back up] and the first one who quits is cut.' It's like endless squats.

Needless to say we made ourselves practically puke but no one would quit, so we all made the team. I could hardly walk to the car after. Halfway through the year, for the big City wide Christmas tourney, he decided to rotate all 3 of us in-game, every time the other team scored, we'd change goalies. It was ridiculous. Sit for 2/3rd of a period, go in cold. Rinse, repeat.

It didn't produce better results, because we were all worried about getting yanked, and you can't play net that way. The team's captains finally intervened and asked him to stop, as it was disrupting the forwards and D too much, adjusting to a different goalie a couple or a few times a game.

Rotating goalies was crazy, seeing who was crazy enough to push themselves past their limits to make the team was pretty smart.
Because if the talent is similar, the best bet is the most motivated player.

Reactions: Larry44

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Somehow, I don’t think up and downs is the best way to gauge motivational levels and make an evaluation. But I’m a dentist, not a coach.

This guy sounds like he was born to coach hockey.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I was going to follow up with "do you ask them to stop?" but I feared the response would have been sarcastic and not suitable to post on here. I know this source too well.

That’d be so bold and icky, I might allow it the first time. Who would be so nasty?! The second time would call for a gassin’ and a tooth for the trouble

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Has anybody said he was a smart coach yet or is it all about his character and respect

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I love how the idea is we couldn't get an nhl assistant for the job because it's considered a demotion but when lappi wants the gig it's all of a sudden this big promotion.

Lappi didn't have a great special teams unit but it's better than the one we have now.

I'm pretty confident in his feel for the game as far as adjustments go and they will be running the same system which is great news. I love that the thing he is married to is uniformity with the big club which means we won't be facing any problems if there were to be a change on the big club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad