Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [April-May 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
$700K divided by say 180 days is about $4K a day.
So if you're on a two way, just get called up for 3 weeks, $84K plus your $62K or so AHL money is $146K - which is why two way deals are attractive to marginal players who can expect an injury call up.
And thats assuming you’re called up instead of having a Neil Little who would get recalls so the prospect goalie would keep playing, and he hasn’t played a lot of games.

And 100,000 is low-end for that league although I know TPS has had some financial hardships compared to when they were running on top in Finland 20 years ago.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
He'll probably get more playing time that way and it could be better for his career overall. Kind of puts a damper on the NHL ambitions but that was looking a bit distant here so I understand the thinking. He can have a good career in Europe at least and who knows maybe come back over in a couple years perhaps. Probably not happening but it's technically possible and they would retain his rights I believe. Don't expect the Flyers are thrilled with the decision but I cant blame him. Playing pro hockey in Europe seems like a good gig and realistically he didn't have a good chance to break into the NHL here with all the other prospects and the situation with the big club.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They could have given him a couple games vs. letting lame ducks Lyon and Elliott play. Just more organizational stupidity.

Why bother giving Sandstrom Flyers games when they almost certainly knew he was planning to leave for Europe?

Reactions: GoFightWin16

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm recalling one of those old off-season development camp videos the Flyers released when Lappy was in charge. He came across as a totally militant prick to the kids.

His introductory meeting had the vibe of a f***ing funeral. One quote in particular will always stick with me. As he told the kids that if they see Riley Cote do something they like, they need to ask and pick his brain (paraphrasing). Yikes.

IDGAF enough to look up the link, but if anyone wants to see how this clown handles player development, it's probably the 2012 or 2013 development camp video.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
I'm recalling one of those old off-season development camp videos the Flyers released when Lappy was in charge. He came across as a totally militant prick to the kids.

His introductory meeting had the vibe of a f***ing funeral. One quote in particular will always stick with me. As he told the kids that if they see Riley Cote do something they like, they need to ask and pick his brain (paraphrasing). Yikes.

IDGAF enough to look up the link, but if anyone wants to see how this clown handles player development, it's probably the 2012 or 2013 development camp video.
Went looking for that.. found this instead

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
who said they knew?
To quote myself verbatim, “almost certainly knew.”

Do I know for sure that they knew Sandstrom was leaving? No, & that’s not what I said.

Do I find it extremey likely that they were aware he was leaving & weren’t caught by surprise? Absolutely.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
To quote myself verbatim, “almost certainly knew.”

Do I know for sure that they knew Sandstrom was leaving? No, & that’s not what I said.

Do I find it extremey likely that they were aware he was leaving & weren’t caught by surprise? Absolutely.

This organization doesn't even know what is happening on the ice, do you think they have an idea of what is happening off the ice?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
This organization doesn't even know what is happening on the ice, do you think they have an idea of what is happening off the ice?
Yeah, I’m sure they have absolutely zero discussions with their players’ agents, particularly pending free agents, throughout the season. Terrific point.:rolleyes:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

Riley Cote managed to carve out an NHL career despite having little to no NHL qualities. Quite frankly, it's impressive that he made the show at all.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd leave this shit organization as well.

While Sandstrom struggled in NA, he was playing much better at the end of the AHL season, and should have gotten a game or 2 with the Flyers to see what we have got with him. But no, this team would rather showcase career AHLer Alex Lyon instead

Lyon's played more NHL games than Sandstrom ever will. Time to accept it was another draft gamble by Hextall that didn't turn out.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
draft gamble? as opposed to what?

As opposed to taking a position player with one of his 3rd rounders. Taking two goalies that high was a gamble, and I don't recall many or any other teams doing it. The Flyers hit in the first round, then got exactly nothing from that draft. Of course, the bigger issue with Hextall's drafting that becomes more obvious with every passing year are the 1st and 2nd rounders he wasted on long shots and busts. Patrick I give a pass due to the unexpected migraine issue, and I think Frost will be good, but this is a lot of draft capital to waste in a three year period.

Rubtsov
Laberge
Ratcliffe
JOB
Ginning

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rubtsov was a trade down too. We all laughed when the Jets took Logan Stanley. Although the outlook on that draft changes if Allison hits. That draft as a whole wasn't good around the league, but it would've been nice to not pass on DeBrincat twice.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As opposed to taking a position player with one of his 3rd rounders. Taking two goalies that high was a gamble, and I don't recall many or any other teams doing it. The Flyers hit in the first round, then got exactly nothing from that draft. Of course, the bigger issue with Hextall's drafting that becomes more obvious with every passing year are the 1st and 2nd rounders he wasted on long shots and busts. Patrick I give a pass due to the unexpected migraine issue, and I think Frost will be good, but this is a lot of draft capital to waste in a three year period.

Rubtsov
Laberge
Ratcliffe
JOB
Ginning
At least in the 2015 draft, we did get Provy and TK...and turned Marody into a 3rd wihich was used to move up and get Brink...so hope with him.

And then signing Myers as an undrafted 2015 guy helps as well.

But yeah...we missed on a bunch of higher end pics which sucks.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

Rubtsov
Laberge
Ratcliffe
JOB
Ginning
I won't act like all of his picks were great, but it is easy to act like they were mistakes with hindsight. Sandstrom and Tomek were picked when the organizational cupboard for goalies was as bare as the Outback lady in Florida. Just found it odd you seemed to drag him for "draft gambles" when that is just about the definition of what the draft is, and his worst picks seemed to come from when he gambled the least.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The 3rd round is the time to take the risk/reward gamble on high ceilings, and that's what those picks were. It wasn't for another year that Hart was drafted, so it was an easy call to go for it on 3 goalies in that draft and presume that at least one of them makes it. The science of goaltending is much more difficult, that's why you don't see many goalies drafted high anymore. Hextall still did bet on talent on varying degrees, people were actually talking about Ratcliffe as a 1st round pick in his year. Rubtsov was supposed to be a bigger project and he came over to the Q when it probably would've been nice if he stayed in Russia, but no one really cared that much because everyone, including me, being so convinced on so many of the guys he took like Vorobyov and Kase before it. We knew as soon as we got to see him play in junior that his ceiling was low, but his floor was presumably higher. You build a team, exclusively through the draft, you need a 4th line John-Madden-type center, and that was the vision.

But between 2015-18, there was 7 1st round picks and 5 2nds, it's ok to be critical in hindsight if for not building a core of a contender. It's fine that all the people who wrote that we had one of the top 3 prospect systems were wrong (they were wrong before). These are guys who were supposed to insulate Giroux and it's 2021 and we're still trying to figure out how to make various pieces fit around him. Drafting is hard, but there are guys by which they are paid to do that.

If you look at Fletcher through 2 draft, he's drafted 5 guys who look better than anyone Hextall drafted that we still consider a prospect.

Fedotov, we knew he'd be there a long time too. But at this point, at age 24, that guy might as well stay there until he can be UFA if I were him. He's going to be on the Red Army team so presumably he'll be on one of the best KHL teams, and presumably paid well, so if he's good enough, he'll surely be able to pick a destination that doesn't have Carter Hart locked in. I don't know what his contracts have been, but we should've tried to sign him after 2019.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The 3rd round is the time to take the risk/reward gamble on high ceilings, and that's what those picks were. It wasn't for another year that Hart was drafted, so it was an easy call to go for it on 3 goalies in that draft and presume that at least one of them makes it. The science of goaltending is much more difficult, that's why you don't see many goalies drafted high anymore. Hextall still did bet on talent on varying degrees, people were actually talking about Ratcliffe as a 1st round pick in his year. Rubtsov was supposed to be a bigger project and he came over to the Q when it probably would've been nice if he stayed in Russia, but no one really cared that much because everyone, including me, being so convinced on so many of the guys he took like Vorobyov and Kase before it. We knew as soon as we got to see him play in junior that his ceiling was low, but his floor was presumably higher. You build a team, exclusively through the draft, you need a 4th line John-Madden-type center, and that was the vision.

But between 2015-18, there was 7 1st round picks and 5 2nds, it's ok to be critical in hindsight if for not building a core of a contender. It's fine that all the people who wrote that we had one of the top 3 prospect systems were wrong (they were wrong before). These are guys who were supposed to insulate Giroux and it's 2021 and we're still trying to figure out how to make various pieces fit around him. Drafting is hard, but there are guys by which they are paid to do that.

If you look at Fletcher through 2 draft, he's drafted 5 guys who look better than anyone Hextall drafted that we still consider a prospect.

Fedotov, we knew he'd be there a long time too. But at this point, at age 24, that guy might as well stay there until he can be UFA if I were him. He's going to be on the Red Army team so presumably he'll be on one of the best KHL teams, and presumably paid well, so if he's good enough, he'll surely be able to pick a destination that doesn't have Carter Hart locked in. I don't know what his contracts have been, but we should've tried to sign him after 2019.
I believe we hold Fedotov's right forever until signs to play n the NHL....correct me if I am wrong

Reactions: RG3hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad