Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [April-May 2021 edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The only silver lining I can see from this is that Laperriere likely isn't trying to audition for an NHL coaching job, so hopefully there will be more emphasis on player development than going all out for wins.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lappi had the ear of the players and he's an easy guy to respect in the room as far as personalities go I can see why they like him.
With what he accomplished in the league if lappi says you aren't committing it's believable but getting guys to commit is a different skill
As far as the systems go a lack of experience might be a good thing as he can just copy whatever they are running on the big club. The year and a half he spent watching it from the booth and on film can be valuable experience.

I always try and understand Why they do things even if I don't agree with the things they do.

Haha

Ha

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sandstrom has signed a deal with TPS Turku in SM-Liiga. Antero Niittymaki’s old team

Ruotsalaismaalivahti Felix Sandström Turun Palloseuraan
Must be skeptical of his place on the Flyers’ depth chart with respect to Ersson & Ustimenko.

I’m sure the Flyers were aware of his intentions before the end of the season, & that’s probably why they didn’t bother calling him up once the Flyers were eliminated.

Probably a good move. He’ll get more playing time & the Flyers I believe still own his rights.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do we still have his rights?

That doesn't make sense if Ersson is staying in the SHL, he'd have an inside track for starter at LHV unless Ustimenko is 100%, and that's a faster route to the NHL than SM-Liiga.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The faster route to the NHL is actually going home for him, at age 24, to play against higher pro level as opposed to being in a 3-way battle to be the Phantoms backup. It also pays more unless the Flyers give him a one-way.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I'd leave this shit organization as well.

While Sandstrom struggled in NA, he was playing much better at the end of the AHL season, and should have gotten a game or 2 with the Flyers to see what we have got with him. But no, this team would rather showcase career AHLer Alex Lyon instead

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'd leave this shit organization as well.

While Sandstrom struggled in NA, he was playing much better at the end of the AHL season, and should have gotten a game or 2 with the Flyers to see what we have got with him. But no, this team would rather showcase career AHLer Alex Lyon instead
They could have given him a couple games vs. letting lame ducks Lyon and Elliott play. Just more organizational stupidity. They didn't even use their maximum call ups, IIRC. How stupid was it to play Hayes hurt when Kase or Bunnaman could have played?

I think Sandstrom is hoping this will make them cut him loose instead of issuing a QO. He could then play a year in Finland and come back to a real NHL team as a UFA.

My friend Bill questioned this decision:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
They could have given him a couple games vs. letting lame ducks Lyon and Elliott play. Just more organizational stupidity. They didn't even use their maximum call ups, IIRC. How stupid was it to play Hayes hurt when Kase or Bunnaman could have played?

I think Sandstrom is hoping this will make them cut him loose instead of issuing a QO. He could then play a year in Finland and come back to a real NHL team as a UFA.

My friend Bill questioned this decision:

Bill is a sage advisor

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The faster route to the NHL is actually going home for him, at age 24, to play against higher pro level as opposed to being in a 3-way battle to be the Phantoms backup. It also pays more unless the Flyers give him a one-way.

I don't think Liiga is considered a higher pro level than the AHL, SHL, KHL yes, maybe Czech.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Liiga is considered a higher pro level than the AHL, SHL, KHL yes, maybe Czech.
But he’s playing a lot more pros as opposed to juniors and prospects. He’s getting on the national team radar. He also makes more money presuming TPS is giving him at least 100,000 which they definitely should be. That’s more than he’d make on a 2-way here unless he stuck in the NHL.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am a little surprised he didnt asked to be moved to another NHL/AHL team. Who knows? He likely just wants to play games and that is still the best thing for him at this point.
Nothing is stopping him from signing an offer sheet, presuming he gets qualified. But he’s a 24 year old goalie with about the same number of AHL and ECHL games to his name. He’s really a non-prospect at this point.

If he isn’t, then all of this talk was for nothing. He will have not be their plans at all. And I think he probably won’t. But if he is, it doesn’t stop him from signing here, or us from loaning him back to TPS.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But he’s playing a lot more pros as opposed to juniors and prospects. He’s getting on the national team radar. He also makes more money presuming TPS is giving him at least 100,000 which they definitely should be. That’s more than he’d make on a 2-way here unless he stuck in the NHL.

$700K divided by say 180 days is about $4K a day.
So if you're on a two way, just get called up for 3 weeks, $84K plus your $62K or so AHL money is $146K - which is why two way deals are attractive to marginal players who can expect an injury call up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fedotenko moved from forward to goalie in a late career move?

Fedotov however has stayed in goal and had a fine season in the KHL.
Tied for 8th (20 or more starts) with a .925 S%, his teammate Roman Will was at .917%
[.931 the previous season]
Goalies ahead of him were mostly 29 or old, one was 26.
However, 1-3 in the playoffs with a .904 S%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad