TSN: Phaneuf talks contract

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Excellent, he's really stepped it up this year and seems well liked by his teammates.

when can they start talking extension?

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Well, for starters, Lupul would be my ideal choice for captaincy. Well spoken guy and seems like the type of guy that can handle the leadership extremely well, and I mean extremely well.

Other options would include McClement, Komisarek, and heck even Kulie, JVR, or Komarov would be a better option than Dion.
so much for your credibility

you've got some other gems in this thread too

next game sit with someone who understands the game and have them explain it to you.

MajorityRules*

Surprised Diceman hasn't weighed in on this thread. He hates Phaneuf.

Another great game for him last night. Guy is a workhorse. Hope we can resign him at a reasonable rate. Lebanese Leafs suggestion seems fair to both parties.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Well, for starters, Lupul would be my ideal choice for captaincy. Well spoken guy and seems like the type of guy that can handle the leadership extremely well, and I mean extremely well.

Other options would include McClement, Komisarek, and heck even Kulie, JVR, or Komarov would be a better option than Dion.

It's crap like this that makes me rethink the knowledge of our fanbase.

I'm not even a huge Dion guy. I have a bit of a take-him or leave-him attitude sometimes but KOMISAREK? KOMAROV? KULE CAN'T EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH FFS!

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
What did Edler just re-sign for? 6 years at $5M per.

That, or something close to that, seems very fair for both sides.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
It's crap like this that makes me rethink the knowledge of our fanbase.

I'm not even a huge Dion guy. I have a bit of a take-him or leave-him attitude sometimes but KOMISAREK? KOMAROV? KULE CAN'T EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH FFS!

A great captain has to be one of the better players and be a great spokesman for the team. Dion is certainly one of the better players, but comes across as wooden, uncomfortable and even insincere in most of his interviews. It would be awkward to strip him of his captaincy now, but if one could do a do-over, Lupul would be a better choice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A great captain has to be one of the better players and be a great spokesman for the team. Dion is certainly one of the better players, but comes across as wooden, uncomfortable and even insincere in most of his interviews. It would be awkward to strip him of his captaincy now, but if one could do a do-over, Lupul would be a better choice.

Why is this important?

How he relates to his Teammates is what's important.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Why is this important?

How he relates to his Teammates is what's important.

True, it's not as important as how he relates in the room. But, maybe the difference between just a good captain and a great one. Being the captain is also being the team spokesman, the go-to guy for the media, and the image they want to project to the fans.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
a great captain does not have to be one of the better players. That's not in the job discription.

(s)he has to be a leader.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
True, it's not as important as how he relates in the room. But, maybe the difference between just a good captain and a great one. Being the captain is also being the team spokesman, the go-to guy for the media, and the image they want to project to the fans.
again, being a good public speaker is also not part of the job of a captain.

you have never played team sports at a competitive level have you?

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
no personal slights given. just an observation.

the things you think a captain should be doing are not reasonable so they shouldn't be judge on them.

My observations differ from yours. I want a captain that is one of the better players, well spoken, and good in the room. You disagree...fine.

Last edited:

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
My observations differ from yours. I want a captain that is one of the better players, well spoken, and good in the room. You disagree...fine.
well lucky for you the Leafs captain is all of those with maybe the exception of well spoken. he's not nearly as bad as some people make him out to be, but media time isn't his strongest asset

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Dion Dangerfield...the guys been hated, over-rated, and now criminally under-rated by even his own fanbase. Personally, I like him. I think he's been leaned on too heavily by our coaching staff and that's what leads to the odd brainfart. I like what I see when he plays with a stay at home righty like Holzer. I really thought pairing him with Kostka at the beginning of the season was hurting his game...he's a #1 who usually plays with a #5-6 which doesn't make him look like a #1. I'd like to see him get acclimated to a legit #2 partner who actually makes him better.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Your confusing cap hit, with cash in.

He will be turning 29 during his extension negotiations.

An 8 year term has him finished at 37.

Not hard to front load the cash in the first 3,4 years and grade it down to lower the cap hit as his age and play declines.

Yeah, I probably am...so is the cap hit no longer the average salary over the duration of the contract?

Griffski

Jun 15, 2011
Salt Lake City
Dion Dangerfield...the guys been hated, over-rated, and now criminally under-rated by even his own fanbase. Personally, I like him. I think he's been leaned on too heavily by our coaching staff and that's what leads to the odd brainfart. I like what I see when he plays with a stay at home righty like Holzer. I really thought pairing him with Kostka at the beginning of the season was hurting his game...he's a #1 who usually plays with a #5-6 which doesn't make him look like a #1. I'd like to see him get acclimated to a legit #2 partner who actually makes him better.

I don't mind phaneuf as a player, although there are plenty of D I'd rather have at the #1.

My knock is that he has the C on his jersey, I don't get that. In my eyes the only way to get it off is trade or let him walk.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I don't mind phaneuf as a player, although there are plenty of D I'd rather have at the #1.

My knock is that he has the C on his jersey, I don't get that. In my eyes the only way to get it off is trade or let him walk.

I don't think us fans can truly know who should be wearing the C, we are on the outside looking in...that said from my couch Phaneuf looks like the leader of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad