TSN: Phaneuf talks contract

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
I don't think us fans can truly know who should be wearing the C, we are on the outside looking in...that said from my couch Phaneuf looks like the leader of this team.

can you find a quote from any leaf past or present saying Phaneuf is a good captain? i have never heard or read one

Jul 10, 2003
KW
can you find a quote from any leaf past or present saying Phaneuf is a good captain? i have never heard or read one

Perhaps they are reserving judgement? Perhaps they are not close enough to the situation to offer comment. I'm not really here to pump his tires so I'm not going looking for quotes one way or another. We've seen 2 NHL coaches lean on him heavily, while the internet experts continue to trash him...hmmn which way should I lean?

BTW do you know of any quotes of Leaf past or present saying he's a bad captain? I have no idea one way or another tbh.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Pretty sure several guys have said Dion is good in the room and he's a good source of positive motivation.

Did Dion not take Kadri to his summer home in PEI to help him train etc.? That's pretty good in my eyes, and I remember Kadri saying he appreciated it, enjoyed it or whatever.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Pretty sure several guys have said Dion is good in the room and he's a good source of positive motivation.

Did Dion not take Kadri to his summer home in PEI to help him train etc.? That's pretty good in my eyes, and I remember Kadri saying he appreciated it, enjoyed it or whatever.

That and a few reports of him tweeting welcomes to new players, draft picks, etc. Get the feeling that he is likely a good guy and has embraced being a captain. At the end of the day, its unlikely any real information comes out of the room though. But, as a comparative, there was no shortage of public praise (from current and former players) for Sundin when he was Captain.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
That and a few reports of him tweeting welcomes to new players, draft picks, etc. Get the feeling that he is likely a good guy and has embraced being a captain. At the end of the day, its unlikely any real information comes out of the room though. But, as a comparative, there was no shortage of public praise (from current and former players) for Sundin when he was Captain.
Yeah, at the end of the day we as fans just really don't know. But from what we've seen/what has been told in the media, it appears as if his teammates like him. Obviously the FO also saw something in him different then fans see, otherwise they wouldn't make the decision.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Im not so sure. Both may want to play it out and see if they can bring up there game. "Contract year" yadda yadda yadda. I think thats more likely for Phil, but could happen with either.

I'm going on the premise that both want to remain here. If they do, all parties concerned will want to wrap it up and not have it become a year long distraction.

It's not unheard of for players to re-sign before they hit Free agency.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Why would we have to assume that?

Why wouldn't we? Both players have expressed an interest and I believe negotiations can begin July 1st this summer. Lupul re-upped early, if both players want to stay, and that seems to be the message, no reason not to open negotiations then. No way Phaneuf signs for less than 6 mil per IMO.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
Phaneuf would have to be a fantastic captain and teammate before I would even consider him at $6+ per season. Even with that, I wouldn't pay it unless he's improved a lot (from last year, not sure about this year) in his play and consistency.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I would guess it's pretty rare for someone to sign a new contract with one and a half years left on their current one.

It's great that they're talking though, no downside to that.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I would guess it's pretty rare for someone to sign a new contract with one and a half years left on their current one.

It's great that they're talking though, no downside to that.

My understanding is that they can only be re-signed once they have only 1 contract year remaining...I'm not sure what the rules are about "talking" until then?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Phaneuf would have to be a fantastic captain and teammate before I would even consider him at $6+ per season. Even with that, I wouldn't pay it unless he's improved a lot (from last year, not sure about this year) in his play and consistency.

Thank goodness he's proven that all already. The Leafs blue line would be in serious trouble if Phaneuf was no longer there, and no, Gardiner or Reilly cannot step in to fill that gap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->