TSN: Phaneuf talks contract

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
http://t.co/yrWxVX86

"Right now I'm not focusing on [what happens] past my contract, but I definitely want to be here for the long-term. You look at the success the Marlies had with the young guys there and the way that we're playing here now. We're taking steps as a team and taking steps in the right direction as a team. I want to be a part of that when we're having success."

Great attitude towards his team :handclap:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

"Right now I'm not focusing on [what happens] past my contract, but I definitely want to be here for the long-term. You look at the success the Marlies had with the young guys there and the way that we're playing here now. We're taking steps as a team and taking steps in the right direction as a team. I want to be a part of that when we're having success."

Sounds good too me :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I think Phaneuf is saying "play the kids" and he likes it. ;)

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I'm probably one of Phaneuf's biggest fans, but you have to think he has to come down from that $6.5 cap hit. I think something in the $5 million range is reasonable, possibly an 8 year deal to lower the cap hit even further.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well long as doing whatever he can to help the team means taking a paycut I'm all for it. Can't come back at the 6.5 he's been making.

But not a bad thing to keep him as a key part going forward. While the accuracy of that slapshot worries me, he has done well playing against tough opponents.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I hope Nonis makes use of front-loading and contract variance so that he can still give Phaneuf good money up front but a manageable cap hit. That would be awesome.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Yes, he speaks like a Captain should. As an Dion doubter I was really pleased to read that he took a great deal of interest in the young ones. I really think he thrives being the senior figure playing for such a classic franchise as the Leafs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think Phaneuf will take a pay cut and stay with the Leafs. I don't know why people hate him.

The best reason I can think of is, we miss the playoffs, he's the captain, it's better to blame him or Kessel than some 4th line guy.

We have to lock him up before July 1st hits though..Flyers are going to be one desperate team looking for a good D.

They will probably bid for him to help with the loss of Timmonen/Pronger.

People need to realize this:

The Phaneuf that put up 50+ points in Calgary was not a defense first guy. That stigma has followed him...even though he's a much better defenseman now.

Ever since he has become a Leaf, he has played a shutdown role...this team depends on him to play 25 mins and he does it well.

In eight games this month he has been on the ice for only three goals against at even-strength, despite logging nearly 20 minutes per game in such scenarios.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I think Phaneuf will take a pay cut and stay with the Leafs. I don't know why people hate him.

The best reason I can think of is, we miss the playoffs, he's the captain, it's better to blame him or Kessel than some 4th line guy.

We have to lock him up before July 1st hits though..Flyers are going to be one desperate team looking for a good D.

They will probably bid for him to help with the loss of Timmonen/Pronger.

People need to realize this:

The Phaneuf that put up 50+ points in Calgary was not a defense first guy. That stigma has followed him...even though he's a much better defenseman now.

Ever since he has become a Leaf, he has played a shutdown role...this team depends on him to play 25 mins and he does it well.

Yes, he's improved drastically. We need a solid #2 to insulate him though.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I don't dislike him, but, I find that he suffers from too many defensive brain farts (pilonitis) and can't hit the net to save his life (missitalotitis)!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yes, he's improved drastically. We need a solid #2 to insulate him though.

I hope one of Rielly or Gardiner fits that role.

Phaneuf has played pretty well considering he's never really known who his D partner is going to be from game to game.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Phaneuf doesn't miss the net any more than any other top scoring defenseman.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't dislike him, but, I find that he suffers from too many defensive brain farts (pilonitis) and can't hit the net to save his life (missitalotitis)!

He does miss the net a lot but a few weeks ago I was reading an article that wrote that Phaneuf is not close to the worst in that department.

He had 12 goals last year. Guys like Pietrangelo, Doughty, Byfuglien, Chara etc have had trouble hitting the net too.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I hope one of Rielly or Gardiner fits that role.

Phaneuf has played pretty well considering he's never really known who his D partner is going to be from game to game.

Yeah, it's annoying how he's had a revolving door for partners. The only constant on the first pairing has been Phaneuf. Aside from that, he's played with Aulie, Gunnarsson, Schenn for a short period (this would've been an ideal pairing if we didn't ruin Schenn), Holzer, Kostka, Beauchemin, and he's had other guys rotate for a game or two here and there.

Out of all those guys the only one I really like with him is Gunnar. Beauch would've been a good partner under Carlyle, but definitely not Wilson.

Imo, a Stuart Percy type of defenseman would be a perfect partner for Phaneuf. He needs a smart, dependable safe partner, kind of like Suter-Weber.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Phaneuf doesn't miss the net any more than any other top scoring defenseman.
If he doesn't, sure makes it seem like that. He winds up and I'm only wondering how loud the sound will be when it goes high and hits the glass. Maybe if Phaneuf just wristed the puck more rather than too often going for an inaccurate kind of shot.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I guess the ever-diligent hockey media absolutely has to cover this story months before Phaneuf or Kessel could possibly even begin negotiating contract extensions. There's nothing else to talk about in the NHL.

snizzbone*

I'm probably one of Phaneuf's biggest fans, but you have to think he has to come down from that $6.5 cap hit. I think something in the $5 million range is reasonable, possibly an 8 year deal to lower the cap hit even further.

Don't think there is a chance that happens. He'll still be in the 6-7 range.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nothing more than 5.0M cap hit on a new 5 year contract... that's what I would aim for if I were Nonis.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Don't think there is a chance that happens. He'll still be in the 6-7 range.

Yeah. I think his existing contract is good for me. 6-6.5 on a 6 year deal or so..

People have to realize that Matt Carle and Wiz make 5.5M when they were UFA's.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
As long as he doesn't get any raise in his salary, I'm thrilled to have him stick around long-term.

He's a huge part of this team.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Id be happy if we could get him signed longterm at 5.5-6. Considering Wideman, Wizniewski, Burns, etc have. I cant see it being any lower, and could still be up near 6.5. Hopefully not though.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008

Unlike the fans who are always criticising him ... you know the ones suffering from don'thaveaclueitis.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I think he'll get something like Edler. The contracts will be a bit different with the new CBA. Something like 5 or 5.25 seems far. Saves us some money too.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I like Phaneuf...as a second pairing D. We still need a better #1 for this team.

edit: second pairing D meaning # 2 D

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad