TSN: Phaneuf talks contract

Fearless Leaf*

Who would you pick to replace Dion as captain?

Well, for starters, Lupul would be my ideal choice for captaincy. Well spoken guy and seems like the type of guy that can handle the leadership extremely well, and I mean extremely well.

Other options would include McClement, Komisarek, and heck even Kulie, JVR, or Komarov would be a better option than Dion.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Well, for starters, Lupul would be my ideal choice for captaincy. Well spoken guy and seems like the type of guy that can handle the leadership extremely well, and I mean extremely well.

Other options would include McClement, Komisarek, and heck even Kulie, JVR, or Komarov would be a better option than Dion.

ok buddy lets not get carried away, you can stop at lupul. thats my choice

Fearless Leaf*

He is a legit #1, lock him up long term. 6mil cap hit.

Get a defense first #2 guy and we are set since Reilly+Gardiner will make tons of offense.

This is the problem here. I am not hating on Dion but I will say that majority of Leafs fans are brainwashed that Dion is a true #1 d-man because he is forced into the position of #1 d-man role here.

Just because he is a #1 d-man on our crappy defensive core doesn't make him a true #1, let alone a top-pairing d.

I will say this , Gardiner and Rielly are both going to end up better than Phaneuf and more valuable down the road.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
This is the problem here. I am not hating on Dion but I will say that majority of Leafs fans are brainwashed that Dion is a true #1 d-man because he is forced into the position of #1 d-man role here.

Just because he is a #1 d-man on our crappy defensive core doesn't make him a true #1, let alone a top-pairing d.

I will say this , Gardiner and Rielly are both going to end up better than Phaneuf and more valuable down the road.

he would be a good 2nd pairing shout down defence, offence we leave to gardiner, rielly
4.5 mil max, so we can sign others to make a run for the cup.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Mind if I quote you on this?

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Lupul is the next best choice, but I don't think he's better than dion.

If dion will take 5.5 or less I'd be glad to re-sign him for another 5 years...

Note: I don't think he's a #1 dman. More like a 1b or good 2. But he is our best defenceman most nights.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
If we lose Dion Phaneuf the trickle down effect on the rest of our D will be massive. Would you trust Gunnarsson and Gardiner with playing against Crosby and Ovechkin? Cause I sure as hell wouldn't. So far this year we've watched PHaneuf log HUGE minutes against players like that, and play pretty admirably.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Oh dear

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site

Some of us have been watching the Leafs for over 20 years, and there's plenty of comparisons to be made. There may be bandwagoning happening, but certainly no brainwashing. The whole discussion is moot if we don't know what your definition of a #1 defenseman actually is. All-star? Franchise player? Player who can excel in all situations within a game?

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
If we lose Dion Phaneuf the trickle down effect on the rest of our D will be massive. Would you trust Gunnarsson and Gardiner with playing against Crosby and Ovechkin? Cause I sure as hell wouldn't. So far this year we've watched PHaneuf log HUGE minutes against players like that, and play pretty admirably.

we keep him, but its the money we have to pay, i say 4.5 mil

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Some of us have been watching the Leafs for over 20 years, and there's plenty of comparisons to be made. There may be bandwagoning happening, but certainly no brainwashing. The whole discussion is moot if we don't know what your definition of a #1 defenseman actually is. All-star? Franchise player? Player who can excel in all situations within a game?

On the ice ,Dion=McCabe.

Fearless Leaf*

Well, I would say any of three or combination of them. He is not a franchise player for sure. He is used in all situations but he doesn't really excel in all situations. Well sometimes he does and sometimes he just looks flat-out bad. To put it simply, he is unreliable in many situations like PK for example, he has trouble skating backwards properly in most occasions, looks too lazy at times in our own end, and actually makes more boneheaded than nearly any of our current d-man.

He may have been an all-star last season but it was mainly due to his hot start in the 1st half of the season.

Overall, he is a solid top-4 d-man to have on any team but he is certainly no way shape or form a #1 d-man on majority of teams.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

We are gonna have one hell of a team in the near future then.

zapy

Aug 26, 2010
Toronto, Richmond Hi
Most overrated player in the NHL in my opinion, has the worst +/- on our team. I think just trade him, because I wouldn't want to pay him anything more than 3.5/year but he'll probably want more.

You bring a defencemen from the marlies and you can count on him more than Phaneuf. How many times I've seen Phaneuf make a mistake or cost us a goal. His shot sucks too, he always misses the net or hits one of our players.

He's supposedly a good 'leader' in the locker room, well any team should have some of those and that doesn't mean he should be paid more (or significantly more) for that.

The other thing I really dont like him is he's not someone you can count on. He's not good defencibly and he has one of the worst shots (aim) of any defencemen I've seen in the NHL.

I think this is a good time to trade him. For 6.5mil/year we can get an actual good player.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dion Phaneuf's +/- is even in his career through 500+ NHL games all of which are played on two terrible teams...Calgary and Toronto (so far).

The guy plays 27 minutes a game...he was a -8 at one point because of the two terrible games we had on our NY road trip.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Most overrated player in the NHL in my opinion, has the worst +/- on our team. I think just trade him, because I wouldn't want to pay him anything more than 3.5/year but he'll probably want more.

You bring a defencemen from the marlies and you can count on him more than Phaneuf. How many times I've seen Phaneuf make a mistake or cost us a goal. His shot sucks too, he always misses the net or hits one of our players.

He's supposedly a good 'leader' in the locker room, well any team should have some of those and that doesn't mean he should be paid more (or significantly more) for that.

The other thing I really dont like him is he's not someone you can count on. He's not good defencibly and he has one of the worst shots (aim) of any defencemen I've seen in the NHL.

I think this is a good time to trade him. For 6.5mil/year we can get an actual good player.

Agreed for the most part, but he's worth more than 3.5 for sure, he's a UFA headed in to his premium contract, keep that in mind. Your right that he's overrated though. He doesn't deserve as much minutes as he's received and I'd argue his lethargic play at times is contagious, despite how much of a leader he is "off the ice". When your not leading by example on the ice, then what does that even mean.

Either Carlysle needs to cut down on his minutes (because he's either tired or extremely lazy), or hold him equally accountable for what he does out there. I mean, we saw how hard he went after Kadri on Saturday for his offensive zone giveaway, would he give the same respect for how many of those Phaneuf gave up this year alone?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No problem. Just wrong that's all.

If my opinion is wrong, at least tell us why. I'm not the only non-expert with this opinion as many other Leaf fans share my opinion. Even his peers, fellow players, voted that Dion is one of the most overrated and overpaid players. Enough said!

Fearless Leaf*

Don't agree with half of your post but some of your points are bang on. Phaneuf is a player who has a lot of positives but at the same he also has plenty of negatives in his game. For one, like you said he is not some one u can count, he has a deadly shot but one of the worst accuracies you can find, his hockey IQ is bad, and he looks very lazy and disinterested at times.

I would certainly entitle the idea of trading if we can add a big body top 4 d-man with responsible defensive game in the lineup.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Don't agree with half of your post but some of your points are bang on. Phaneuf is a player who has a lot of positives but at the same he also has plenty of negatives in his game. For one, like you said he is not some one u can count, he has a deadly shot but one of the worst accuracies you can find, his hockey IQ is bad, and he looks very lazy and disinterested at times.

I would certainly entitle the idea of trading if we can add a big body top 4 d-man with responsible defensive game in the lineup.

You mean some one like Phaneuf?

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Well, I would say any of three or combination of them. He is not a franchise player for sure. He is used in all situations but he doesn't really excel in all situations. Well sometimes he does and sometimes he just looks flat-out bad. To put it simply, he is unreliable in many situations like PK for example, he has trouble skating backwards properly in most occasions, looks too lazy at times in our own end, and actually makes more boneheaded than nearly any of our current d-man.

He may have been an all-star last season but it was mainly due to his hot start in the 1st half of the season.

Overall, he is a solid top-4 d-man to have on any team but he is certainly no way shape or form a #1 d-man on majority of teams.

I don't see him as being a franchise player at all, although I do see him as an occasional all-star. I see him as being similar to McCabe, except much better defensively and not as strong offensively. I absolutely see him as a #1 defenseman. Probably top 10-20 in the league.

Plays hard every shift, is a defensive workhorse, and doesn't make mistakes anymore than most top-pairing defensemen.

If he ever made it to free-agency, I'm positive he'd land at least $6m a season. Easily #1 defenseman money.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00