TSN: Phaneuf talks contract

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I would be willing to assume that the team would like to lock up their key players and not risk losing them to unrestricted free agency...agree that we can't assume much from the player's perspective though.
I love both players and hope they re sign. I would give dion 5.75 for 8 and Kessel 7 for 8. That being said if they don't re sign in the summer trade them right away. Never lose anyone for nothing.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I love both players and hope they re sign. I would give dion 5.75 for 8 and Kessel 7 for 8. That being said if they don't re sign in the summer trade them right away. Never lose anyone for nothing.

Then how come every year there are multiple UFA, who were never trade from their teams prior to hitting UFA? Is there something you know that these other GM's and teams don't?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Then how come every year there are multiple UFA, who were never trade from their teams prior to hitting UFA? Is there something you know that these other GM's and teams don't?

It would be interesting to know how many players that weren't moved at the deadline then left their teams as UFA's.

Alflives*

What? Kessel is worth more to you than Phaneuf? Switch those numbers: Kessel gets no more than 5.75/cap, and Phaneuf is in the 7.5 to 8/cap range. Phaneuf is the most valuable player to the Leafs success now and going forward.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What? Kessel is worth more to you than Phaneuf? Switch those numbers: Kessel gets no more than 5.75/cap, and Phaneuf is in the 7.5 to 8/cap range. Phaneuf is the most valuable player to the Leafs success now and going forward.

Kessel is already getting 5.4 and is looking for a solid raise.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

I did not really get that either. Kessel offers one thing and that is goals and even that he is not really great at either. Phaneuf on the other hand plays with authority in both ends of the ice.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I would give both kessel and Phaneuf 6-6.5mil retirement contracts. What is that now 8 years?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I did not really get that either. Kessel offers one thing and that is goals and even that he is not really great at either. Phaneuf on the other hand plays with authority in both ends of the ice.

Very true, many players his age have put up multiple goal seasons as Kessel has, and Phil has also shown he can't pass the puck either.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I would be very surprised if Phanuef signed for more than Kessel.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Have to agree with this. Kessel is our best playe, therefore nobody should be paid more...makes too much sense.

On the current Team.

Hopefully in the near future a forward will be obtained that will be worth more than Kessel.

Alflives*

I would be very surprised if Phanuef signed for more than Kessel.

If the Leafs do not pay Phaneuf what he is worth (which is more than any other player on their team - including Kessel) then there will 29 other teams chomping at the bit to sign him. He's the Leafs most important player, and should be paid accordingly. The rest of the players should all get less than him, to keep the internal salary structure of the team.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
Just litsening to Jeff Samit on the Fan 590 today he stated since Phaneuf has played well under Randy's system like a #1 d man, so he should be paid like one...So Phaneuf has played well for maybe half our games this year and that is reasoning to pay a man meega bucks????? Just WOW!!

This Jef Samit guy today was very short-sighted and thank god he aint our GM. I turned off the radio, couldn't listen to him any longer.

Anyone else hear some of this today on the Fan?

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If the Leafs do not pay Phaneuf what he is worth (which is more than any other player on their team - including Kessel) then there will 29 other teams chomping at the bit to sign him. He's the Leafs most important player, and should be paid accordingly. The rest of the players should all get less than him, to keep the internal salary structure of the team.

I have no doubt Phaneuf will be paid what he's worth.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Pretty sure several guys have said Dion is good in the room and he's a good source of positive motivation. .

Doubt it...and if they did they were probably just trying to score brownie points.

Just came across this video on the internet:

Anything jump out at you right away?

Well it should.

Phaneuf could not even captain a team of children. Tells you all you need to know about his leadership abilities.

And watch him sail a slapshot into a group of spectators. Typical. He's a danger to himself and others. Thank goodness Lupul wasn't on his team.

Pretty sure after he got the assist he's making sure the ref records it on the gamesheet. Selfish.

And if that's not enough, watch him just grab the trophy from the other kid and try to butt in to get his picture taken with it. Obviously this obsession of his with fame and the media began at an early age. Probably watched his first episode of Popular Mechanics for Kids shortly after.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Sure some do. Teams looking to make deep runs might. Typically it is a mistake. It's a bad idea for the leafs to let Phil walk for nothing. If he wants to stay great. If not u need to get something for him. Look at Ottawa lost chara for nothing. The devils with praise. Etc.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

But just to be clear you think it is a good idea to lose a player for nothing.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Doubt it...and if they did they were probably just trying to score brownie points.

Well it should.

Phaneuf could not even captain a team of children. Tells you all you need to know about his leadership abilities.

And watch him sail a slapshot into a group of spectators. Typical. He's a danger to himself and others. Thank goodness Lupul wasn't on his team.

Pretty sure after he got the assist he's making sure the ref records it on the gamesheet. Selfish.

And if that's not enough, watch him just grab the trophy from the other kid and try to butt in to get his picture taken with it. Obviously this obsession of his with fame and the media began at an early age. Probably watched his first episode of Popular Mechanics for Kids shortly after.

Lol..

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Dion will be 29 at the start of that contract. An 8 year deal would put him to 36. His last 2 to 3 years should be lower salary dropping the cap hit.

Phil would be 27 when his starts. He would be signed to 34. That's a big difference. Plus forwards get paid more and Phil is a better player

Sproo

Jul 3, 2008
Vancouver

Well it should.

Hey are you the same Bomber0104 in another thread preaching that people justify their opinions with rational thoughts? Doesn't seem like it.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

because teams take a gamble that players will resign, and sometimes they need the players for a playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad