TSN: Phaneuf talks contract

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Doubt it...and if they did they were probably just trying to score brownie points.

Just came across this video on the internet:

Anything jump out at you right away?

Well it should.

Phaneuf could not even captain a team of children. Tells you all you need to know about his leadership abilities.

And watch him sail a slapshot into a group of spectators. Typical. He's a danger to himself and others. Thank goodness Lupul wasn't on his team.

Pretty sure after he got the assist he's making sure the ref records it on the gamesheet. Selfish.

And if that's not enough, watch him just grab the trophy from the other kid and try to butt in to get his picture taken with it. Obviously this obsession of his with fame and the media began at an early age. Probably watched his first episode of Popular Mechanics for Kids shortly after.

i lol'd good troll

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I would offer Kessel 6.5 at most for 5 years, and Phaneuf 4.5 million for 5 years. If we can't come to an agreement around those terms by the deadline we dump them both for big returns.

It's a win-win in my books.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I would offer Kessel 6.5 at most for 5 years, and Phaneuf 4.5 million for 5 years. If we can't come to an agreement around those terms by the deadline we dump them both for big returns.

How do you figure Kessel is only worth $6.5 when we're paying Grabovski and Lupul $5.2-5.5?

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
How do you figure Kessel is only worth $6.5 when we're paying Grabovski and Lupul $5.2-5.5?

Because I believe Kessel is worth 6.5 million for what he brings to the table, and as much as I love Grabovski and Lupul, I see Grabovski's worth closer to 4.75 and Lupul around 5.25...and looking at it that way I see Kessel around 6.5 at best. I don't think we should feel pressured to give players big bucks based on previous mistakes like slightly over paying for our past contracts.

Look, Kessel is a fantastic player and talent, and as long as we ice a roster like the one we have now he will always be our leading scorer. But he only has one season at a point per game, and no other seasons even hovering around that mark. As of now he's on pace for 14 goals and around 60 points, and while that's changed the fact remains that he's a one-dimensional soft undersized scoring winger who disappears when the play gets physical.

He's not a leader, and I don't believe he's the franchise player Burke envisioned. I love his talent and I definitely want to keep him. But I believe anything in the 7 mil to 8.5 million range should be reserved for that number 1 elite franchise center we need, not his right hand man. I see Kessel as the Mogilny to our Sundin. While we don't have our Sundin yet do we really want to handicap ourselves like that.

I love Kessel, am not too fond on Phaneuf...but in a time where big contracts are almost always regretted only 1.5 years into them...Kessel and even more so Phaneuf seem to fit that bill of people who won't live up to the big bucks

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Doubt it...and if they did they were probably just trying to score brownie points.

Well it should.

Phaneuf could not even captain a team of children. Tells you all you need to know about his leadership abilities.

And watch him sail a slapshot into a group of spectators. Typical. He's a danger to himself and others. Thank goodness Lupul wasn't on his team.

Pretty sure after he got the assist he's making sure the ref records it on the gamesheet. Selfish.

And if that's not enough, watch him just grab the trophy from the other kid and try to butt in to get his picture taken with it. Obviously this obsession of his with fame and the media began at an early age. Probably watched his first episode of Popular Mechanics for Kids shortly after.

Pretty awesome vid as to the post itself....

berneydidnotread.gif

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Just litsening to Jeff Samit on the Fan 590 today he stated since Phaneuf has played well under Randy's system like a #1 d man, so he should be paid like one...So Phaneuf has played well for maybe half our games this year and that is reasoning to pay a man meega bucks????? Just WOW!!

This Jef Samit guy today was very short-sighted and thank god he aint our GM. I turned off the radio, couldn't listen to him any longer.

Anyone else hear some of this today on the Fan?

I like Phaneuf...but as a #2 D playing on the 2nd pair. He can come up with the odd great game, but he is too inconsistent to be a #1D on a cup team and is unlikely to be developing much more. We have to reserve #1 D money for a legitimate #1. Keep Phaneuf, but at a much lower cap hit...otherwise move on and use the money elsewhere.

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
Because I believe Kessel is worth 6.5 million for what he brings to the table, and as much as I love Grabovski and Lupul, I see Grabovski's worth closer to 4.75 and Lupul around 5.25...and looking at it that way I see Kessel around 6.5 at best. I don't think we should feel pressured to give players big bucks based on previous mistakes like slightly over paying for our past contracts.

Look, Kessel is a fantastic player and talent, and as long as we ice a roster like the one we have now he will always be our leading scorer. But he only has one season at a point per game, and no other seasons even hovering around that mark. As of now he's on pace for 14 goals and around 60 points, and while that's changed the fact remains that he's a one-dimensional soft undersized scoring winger who disappears when the play gets physical.

He's not a leader, and I don't believe he's the franchise player Burke envisioned. I love his talent and I definitely want to keep him. But I believe anything in the 7 mil to 8.5 million range should be reserved for that number 1 elite franchise center we need, not his right hand man. I see Kessel as the Mogilny to our Sundin. While we don't have our Sundin yet do we really want to handicap ourselves like that.

I love Kessel, am not too fond on Phaneuf...but in a time where big contracts are almost always regretted only 1.5 years into them...Kessel and even more so Phaneuf seem to fit that bill of people who won't live up to the big bucks
I wanna see what these guys can do in the playoffs first. Grabovski in particular I'm intrigued with regarding playoff hockey. He might be really good in the playoffs. I hope he's in good form come PO's.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

A late first rounder and a mid level prospect or two is what you might get for them at the deadline.

Personally, I'd rather pay them a little more and keep them.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Well it should.

Not sure if serious. Oh wait, yes I am. Troll harder son. A lot of 'probablys' and 'pretty sures' goin on there.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Stringer Bell;60154957[B said:
]Because I believe Kessel is worth 6.5 million for what he brings to the table,[/B] and as much as I love Grabovski and Lupul, I see Grabovski's worth closer to 4.75 and Lupul around 5.25...and looking at it that way I see Kessel around 6.5 at best. I don't think we should feel pressured to give players big bucks based on previous mistakes like slightly over paying for our past contracts.

Actually I bet it's 7 mil per year or more. Like it or not, Semin and Gaborik, maybe Nash would be comparables.

For Phaneuf, if old man Timmonen got 6 mil per year, you know Phaneuf will get much more, Doughty got 7 mil, and Suter just signed for 7.5 per.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Cap drops to $64 million next year.

We have a problem,tie up to much money in Kessel and Phaneuff,plus raises for Bozak and Kadri and should a number one center or number one dman become available we will be hamstrung.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad