Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
They are both great players and right now I think Matthews is better. However, I personally haven't seen a more cerebral player come into the league in recent years than Pettersson. His hockey I.Q. in relation to his high end skating and shooting abilities is unmatched in my opinion. I believe that over the next 5 years Pettersson will be the player, not Matthews, who could challenge McDavid for the crown as top overall player. I personally don’t think he gets there, McDavid’s skill is just a step above all of the other top end players including Pettersson, but I think he makes it interesting because his hockey I.Q. is on another level.

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
Last year people were saying Barzal was the much better player then Matthews. Now in 15 less games matthews is leading him in points this year.
Thing is Players sometimes come in like gang busters but it gets harder in this league to keep it up. Pettersson is an awesome player, as is Barzal. Lets give him a couple of years to see how he handles the grind.
But the comparison with Barzal does not hold up since Pettersson was arguably the best U19 player ever in SHL last season. Many agreed that he was the best prospect from Sweden since Peter Forsberg.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Matthews plays the second line on a team stacked with Talent. Hell He should have way more points despite time missed. Right about the EP is the Canucks. Boeser, Horvat are good but that's about it when it comes to serious offense for the Nucks. Yet EP is outscoring Matthews.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
[QUOTE="Phil68, post: 156458363, member: 98102”]Yet EP is outscoring Matthews.[/QUOTE]

No, Pettersson is not outscoring Matthews!

Matthews - 42 GP, 25 goals 25 assists.

Pettersson - 46 GP, 25 goals 26 assists.

Matthews is outscoring Pettersson with the higher PPG average. Matthews also gets less ice time with a stacked Toronto team, whereas Vancouver is garbage and EP gets the spotlight.

Pettersson would be the 3rd line C in Toronto playing behind #91 and #34.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
[QUOTE="Phil68, post: 156458363, member: 98102] Yet EP is outscoring Matthews No, Pettersson is not outscoring Matthews!

Matthews is outscoring Pettersson with the higher PPG average. Matthews also gets less ice time with a stacked Toronto team, whereas Vancouver is garbage and EP gets the spotlight.

Pettersson is rookie. Matthews is 3rd year player. A rookie is posting nearly identical stats to a 3rd year supposed generational talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katani Kalan

Mar 26, 2010

Pettersson is rookie. Matthews is 3rd year player. A rookie is posting nearly identical stats to a 3rd year supposed generational talent.[/QUOTE]
Matthews scored 40 goals as a 18 yo rookie teenager. Pettersson is 20.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Imagine if Pettersson had the type of talent around him, especially on the PP that there is in Toronto.

Imagine if teams had another player to focus on defending when they play Vancouver as there is in Toronto. Pettersson is the absolute singular point of focus for other teams defending. Imagine if he had another C as good as Tavares to take some of that focus off of him. Imagine if Pettersson had that crisp early outlet pass that Rielly provides instead of constantly having to come back so deep and starting the plays himself.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Matthews also finished tied for 2nd in total goals in his rookie season just 4 behind Crosby. I doubt Pettersson will finish that high once the season ends.
Well the thing is if you always use PPG to illustrate that Matthews is more than a 70 pt player, which is fair, you’d also have to use GPG in his rookie goal scoring totals, in which case he was 5th in scoring, not 2nd.

Either way, the point is that you can’t use totals in one case because it looks better and then use PPG or pace in another example. Only one metric should be used, whichever one it is, but then it can’t be switched just for optics.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey

Pettersson is rookie. Matthews is 3rd year player. A rookie is posting nearly identical stats to a 3rd year supposed generational talent.

So it's easier to get points on a garbage team? Good to know.

Mar 26, 2010
Boeser helps for sure in that at least he can finish plays. Bo is good, but in completely different vain. If Quinn Hughes pans out and pans out quickly it would be a huge boost.
Will be a huge boost if Sandin and Liljegren pan out quickly as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well the thing is if you always use PPG to illustrate that Matthews is more than a 70 pt player, which is fair, you’d also have to use GPG in his rookie goal scoring totals, in which case he was 5th in scoring, not 2nd.

Either way, the point is that you can’t use totals in one case because it looks better and then use PPG or pace in another example. Only one metric should be used, whichever one it is, but then it can’t be switched just for optics.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but since Matthews had 40 goals as a rookie wouldn't that mean he was 1st in rookie scoring and not 5th.

Also no matter how else you want to say it Matthews was tied for 2nd in total goals as a rookie with Kucherov.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Mar 26, 2010
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but since Matthews had 40 goals as a rookie wouldn't that mean he was 1st in rookie scoring and not 5th.

Also no matter how else you want to say it Matthews was tied for 2nd in total goals as a rookie with Kucherov.
Mathews scored 40 goals in the NHL as a Teenager! Two years younger than rookie Pettersson.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Will be a huge boost if Sandin and Liljegren pan out quickly as well.
Sure to the team in general. But my point is that the forwards in Toronto already have an elite puck moving and playmaking defenseman while the forwards in Vancouver have nothing of the sort.

Mar 26, 2010
Sure to the team in general. But my point is that the forwards in Toronto already have an elite puck moving and playmaking defenseman while the forwards in Vancouver have nothing of the sort.
No matter how you want to slice it, Matthews is the better player.

I am not saying that Pettersson is a bad player at all. He is good, but not Matthews good. This will be proven over the next few seasons.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Matthews scored 40 goals as a 18 yo rookie teenager. Pettersson is 20.[/QUOTE]

Mathews started rookie year at 18 finished at 19 and Elias started at 19 will finish at 20. We know you love hating on Canucks as I've seen your posts galore on our boards but at least get your facts straight.

No idea whats up with HFboards today but my reply quote got mangled.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

My point is that if you’re going to use totals in one scenario, you have to use totals in the other scenario. Or conversely, if your going to use points per game or goals per game in one scenario, then you have to use it the other.

You’re flip flopping between those two and using the one that Matthews looks better in in different cases.

If you’re going to say that it’s ridiculous that Matthews isn’t a 70 point player because his PPG clearly indicates he would pass that, then you’d have to use goals per game in his rookie season as well in which case he was 5th in goal scoring as a rookie

Totals- 40 goals = 2nd in goals as rookie
Totals- never hit 70 pts

Per game l- played at over a PPG pace so the 70 pt criticism is invalid
Per game- was 5th in goals as rookie

You can’t flip flop between PPG and totals to strengthen your case in different scenarios.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Mathews scored 40 goals in the NHL as a Teenager! Two years younger than rookie Pettersson.
I don’t think you know your math. Austin was 19 when he started in the NHL. EP was 19 as well, but turned 20 in November. He was not two years younger, he was 10 months younger than when EP started.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My point is that if you’re going to use totals in one scenario, you have to use totals in the other scenario. Or conversely, if your going to use points per game or goals per game in one scenario, then you have to use it the other.

You’re flip flopping between those two and using the one that Matthews looks better in in different cases.

If you’re going to say that it’s ridiculous that Matthews isn’t a 70 point player because his PPG clearly indicates he would pass that, then you’d have to use goals per game in his rookie season as well in which case he was 5th in goal scoring as a rookie

Totals- 40 goals = 2nd in goals as rookie
Totals- never hit 70 pts

Per game l- played at over a PPG pace so the 70 pt criticism is invalid
Per game- was 5th in goals as rookie

You can’t flip flop between PPG and totals to strengthen your case in different scenarios.
I'm still confused at how he was 5th in goals as a rookie? His 40 goals lead all rookies and his 69 total points also lead all rookies in both categories.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I'm still confused at how he was 5th in goals as a rookie? His 40 goals lead all rookies and his 69 total points also lead all rookies in both categories.
He was 5th in goals per game. He 2nd in total goals.

So if your going to use totals for his rookie season, you should use totals in all other seasons. Using totals means he was 2nd in rookie goal scoring but he’s not a 70 point player

If you’re going to use goals per game or points per game in the past couple of season, you’d have to use goals per game or pts per game in his rookie season. Using these metrics he is a 70+ point player but he was 5th in goal scoring in his rookie season (using goals per game as a metric)

This link is Matthews rookie season set to goals per game. As you can see, there were 4 players (Crosby, Kucherov, Malkin and Laine) who were above him in goals per game. If you don’t like using this “pace” metric, then you shouldn’t use the “pace” metric in his following seasons.

2016‑2017 NHL Scoring Leaders

Reactions: Regal

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He was 5th in goals per game. He 2nd in total goals.

So if your going to use totals for his rookie season, you should use totals in all other seasons. Using totals means he was 2nd in rookie goal scoring but he’s not a 70 point player

If you’re going to use goals per game or points per game in the past couple of season, you’d have to use goals per game or pts per game in his rookie season. Using these metrics he is a 70+ point player but he was 5th in goal scoring in his rookie season (using goals per game as a metric)

This link is Matthews rookie season set to goals per game. As you can see, there were 4 players (Crosby, Kucherov, Malkin and Laine) who were above him in goals per game. If you don’t like using this “pace” metric, then you shouldn’t use the “pace” metric in his following seasons.

2016‑2017 NHL Scoring Leaders
Now I understand what you were saying, however I rather follow actual stats that show Matthews finished tied for 2nd in total goals. So I guess we have to agree to disagree about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad