Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Truth be told, whether some can admit it or not, he’s looked that way since just before Christmas and the 5 goals in 21 games he’s on since then are justified.

He was fine coming back after the injury but a few games after that he was hit hard and fell awkwardly and hasn’t not looked fully engaged since.

I’m not discounting the possibility he’s carrying a lingering injury here.

You are probably right. I don't watch leafs every time they play but I do like to catch a game here and there. He has probably been mediocre longer than the past 3 games because I have not been seeing the points, but I have been able to watch the last 3 so thats what I commented on.

Funny how the durability of a player doesn't seem to go into account often when judging them but seems like Matthews has all the talent in the world but his body does not.

Considering Pettersson has had a couple injuries already I wonder if he will have any issues down the line as well. Kid is built like a slinky.

Reactions: koyvoo

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Not surprised Matthews is getting slaughtered, pretty standard results. I just hope people are keeping in mind when comparing Pettersson's rookie season to Matthews' that its his draft plus 1 season and that league scoring is up, Matthews finished second place for the rocket. When you consider all the variables I don't see how you can call even their rookies seasons much more of a wash let alone take Pettersson over Matthews currently, ya, ya, I know Matthews is in a slump and probably will never score again.

Pettersson's a great young player who by all means could prove to be better than Matthews but I don't think that's where the smart money is right now. Maybe this wouldn't be so frustrating if the whole idea of Matthews polls hadn't be cheapened every time a young player breaks out, how quick we forget that he had polls vs. Boeser last year.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Truth be told, whether some can admit it or not, he’s looked that way since just before Christmas and the 5 goals in 21 games he’s on since then are justified.

He was fine coming back after the injury but a few games after that he was hit hard and fell awkwardly and hasn’t not looked fully engaged since.

I’m not discounting the possibility he’s carrying a lingering injury here.

yeah he hasn't looked the same since the Kronwall hit near the boards where he just had enough room to fall badly. that one hurt.

Reactions: koyvoo

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Funny how the durability of a player doesn't seem to go into account often when judging them but seems like Matthews has all the talent in the world but his body does not.
Yet when other players who Matthews get compared to like Jack Eichel who has had injuries the past 2 seasons since he played in 61 games in 2017 and 67 games in 2018, was never called injury prone the way Matthews has unfairly been given that label.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not surprised Matthews is getting slaughtered, pretty standard results. I just hope people are keeping in mind when comparing Pettersson's rookie season to Matthews' that its his draft plus 1 season and that league scoring is up, Matthews finished second place for the rocket. When you consider all the variables I don't see how you can call even their rookies seasons much more of a wash let alone take Pettersson over Matthews currently, ya, ya, I know Matthews is in a slump and probably will never score again.

Pettersson's a great young player who by all means could prove to be better than Matthews but I don't think that's where the smart money is right now. Maybe this wouldn't be so frustrating if the whole idea of Matthews polls hadn't be cheapened every time a young player breaks out, how quick we forget that he had polls vs. Boeser last year.
Nonsense. There were never serious polls about Boeser vs. Matthews. Nor were those Matthews vs McDavid polls in Matthews rookie year all that serious other than for a few overly zealous fans.
This is not just about another young player breaking out despite your attempt to ‘cheapen’ EP’s play. EP is the real deal just like Matthews. Both are great young talents. There’s no wrong answer here. And I think that’s where the ‘smart money’ is.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
People voting Petterson, the guy with the 26.86% shooting percentage (highest in the history of the league) - do you know what regression is?
I voted for him because he can do and see things on the ice that only the very, very elite can do and see abd because his skill set is even more rare than that. And I most definitely agree that the shooting % can’t remain that high.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nonsense. There were never serious polls about Boeser vs. Matthews. Nor were those Matthews vs McDavid polls in Matthews rookie year all that serious other than for a few overly zealous fans.
Prior to Matthews 2nd season I remember someone from TSN was comparing his rookie season to McDavid's rookie season. There was also some Matthews and McDavid thread going on at the time and I mentioned what I heard on TSN. You think I started world war 3 because there was Oilers fans who said how dare I compare Matthews to McDavid, when all I mentioned was someone from TSN only compared their rookie seasons. I mean they were back to back 1st overall picks and playing for Canadian teams, so what was wrong with comparing their rookie seasons?

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
Are you seriously arguing this? Look at what team compared to the other offensively.
Look at the offensive amount of support Matthews receives in the back end offensively, while Petterson is strandled with plugs like Gudbranson and Pouliot.
Plus Matthews plays with Marner on the power play. EP doesn't have actual legit left winger on his line, it's always rotating with middle 6 wingers.
EP is doing more with less, simple as that.

It's funny how you can't seem to acknowledge Matthews being put in a more favourable position.

How can you argue against Petterson playing nearly twice the amount of PP time than Matthews and playing with Boeser a guy who was easily paced to score 40 in his rookie season?? It's insane the amount of amount of excuses I'm seeing when Petterson actually has a player like Boeser on his line and Matthews has had revolving door of Marluea/Kapapen/Brown on his line all season.

EP is being put in a fantastic situation to score for a rookie not only being put with the 2nd best player on the team but playing insane PP minutes, He is not doing more with less at all.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How can you argue against Petterson playing nearly twice the amount of PP time than Matthews and playing with Boeser a guy who was easily paced to score 40 in his rookie season?? It's insane the amount of amount of excuses I'm seeing when Petterson actually has a player like Boeser on his line and Matthews has had revolving door of Marluea/Kapapen/Brown on his line all season.

EP is being put in a fantastic situation to score for a rookie not only being put with the 2nd best player on the team but playing insane PP minutes, He is not doing more with less at all.
Why is that when Leafs fans use the example of pace when it comes to Matthews we are told it does not matter, but you can mention Boeser was on pace to score 40 goals even though he did not since he was injured.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Prior to Matthews 2nd season I remember someone from TSN was comparing his rookie season to McDavid's rookie season. There was also some Matthews and McDavid thread going on at the time and I mentioned what I heard on TSN. You think I started world war 3 because there was Oilers fans who said how dare I compare Matthews to McDavid, when all I mentioned was someone from TSN only compared their rookie seasons. I mean they were back to back 1st overall picks and playing for Canadian teams, so what was wrong with comparing their rookie seasons?
TSN is known as the Toronto Sports Network. I wouldn’t take that McDavid comparison seriously. Matthews rookie season was not on par with McDavids and McDavid was always touted as a generational talent. Matthews was never seen as being at that level.
In any event, I don’t see why some Leaf fans get bent out of shape when other great young players get compared to Matthews or even when some people think a young star will be better than Matthews. Matthews is certainly a great player but as of yet he’s done nothing to separate himself from a handful of young stars just behind MacKinnon and well behind McDavid.
It’s perfectly reasonable to think EP will end up better given their play to date.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
TSN is known as the Toronto Sports Network. I wouldn’t take that McDavid comparison seriously. Matthews rookie season was not on par with McDavids and McDavid was always touted as a generational talent. Matthews was never seen as being at that level.
In any event, I don’t see why some Leaf fans get bent out of shape when other great young players get compared to Matthews or even when some people think a young star will be better than Matthews. Matthews is certainly a great player but as of yet he’s done nothing to separate himself from a handful of young stars just behind MacKinnon and well behind McDavid.
It’s perfectly reasonable to think EP will end up better given their play to date.
It wasn't a general comparison that Matthews was going to be a better overall player than McDavid. So what was wrong with comparing their rookie seasons against each other?

Your reply saying TSN is the Toronto Sports Network is just an example at the hate people in Vancouver have for Toronto and why we think Pettersson is always up against Leafs players on poll questions like this.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It wasn't a general comparison that Matthews was going to be a better overall player than McDavid. So what was wrong with comparing their rookie seasons against each other?

Your reply saying TSN is the Toronto Sports Network is just an example at the hate people in Vancouver have for Toronto and why we think Pettersson is always up against Leafs players on poll questions like this.

Your reply stating that Vancouver people have a hate for Toronto is the reason why we think Leaf fans have a persecution complex.

No serious hockey person would compare McDavid to Matthews when one player has two Art Rosses and the other has a career high of 69 points, albeit due to injuries. Again, the hype around McDavid was similar to Crosby. He was seen as generational. Matthews was not.

As to why there is a poll comparing two great young players like EP and AM, I think it seems like a pretty reasonable comparison to most people. Both fanbases should be very happy. And given the draft spot for EP, Vancouver fans are understandably elated to have gotten a franchise center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sayonara77

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Your reply stating that Vancouver people have a hate for Toronto is the reason why we think Leaf fans have a persecution complex.

No serious hockey person would compare McDavid to Matthews when one player has two Art Rosses and the other has a career high of 69 points, albeit due to injuries. Again, the hype around McDavid was similar to Crosby. He was seen as generational. Matthews was not.

As to why there is a poll comparing two great young players like EP and AM, I think it seems like a pretty reasonable comparison to most people. Both fanbases should be very happy. And given the draft spot for EP, Vancouver fans are understandably elated to have gotten a franchise center.
So when other Canucks fans have complained about home games against the Leafs on a Saturday starting at 4:00 PM PST, that's not them complaining about how Toronto gets everything they want from the NHL?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
People voting Petterson, the guy with the 26.86% shooting percentage (highest in the history of the league) - do you know what regression is?

No they don’t, or they pretend he is the one player whose an exception to the rule.

We all know how it’ll end. He’ll crash back down to earth and then the main boards will have dumb “what happened to Petterson?” Threads.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No they don’t, or they pretend he is the one player whose an exception to the rule.

We all know how it’ll end. He’ll crash back down to earth and then the main boards will have dumb “what happened to Petterson?” Threads.
I know they are not the same examples but look at how hot the Leafs power play was to start the season and the drought it's been going through.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

He should probably have 10-12 more assists than he does as the low conversion rate of his teammates on the countless plays he sets up cvsnt stay as low as they’ve been.

He’s a player who creates offense all game long. He will remain productive. There may be legitimate concern over his size and durability. There can be no concern about his ability. He has one of the highest levels of skill in the league and is one of the smartest players in the league.

In terms of his hockey IQ and game reading ability, even Kariya is yet another guy who said Pettersson reminds him of Gretzky on last nights hometown broadcast.

The only thing he’s missing for people to even blindly claim greatness is the history of being a #1 overall draft pick. When you’re a #1 overall, you can be pure trash for 2 month stretches and people still give you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katani Kalan

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I know they are not the same examples but look at how hot the Leafs power play was to start the season and the drought it's been going through.

Leafs PP1 unit has been cold and dropped PP% hard because it’s become too predictable. Same set up. Babcock has them set up optimally, but he doesn’t want them moving for some reason.

I’d implement varying at times moving Tavares toward the half wall a bit more than net front presence.
Sometimes Matthews Marner should float over to opposite sides.
They never do that

Matthews can still shoot from other circle
Marner can still feed from other wall
They never try it sometimes

It’s a coaching issue on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad