Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Pettersson has a bigger toolbox. Matthews has that great toe drag wrist shot, but Pettersson makes up for that with a slapshot 1 timer. Vision and playmaking clearly go to Pettersson.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Pettersson has a bigger toolbox. Matthews has that great toe drag wrist shot, but Pettersson makes up for that with a slapshot 1 timer. Vision and playmaking clearly go to Pettersson.

You have honestly never seen Pettersson’s toe drag wrister??

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pettersson's shot is better than Matthews's in every category. Matthews just gets his off more often, and from closer to the net. But in a shot to shot comparison, it's Pettersson no contest.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Now I understand what you were saying, however I rather follow actual stats that show Matthews finished tied for 2nd in total goals. So I guess we have to agree to disagree about this.

Yet you don't use these "actual stats" for his other years, because Matthews missed time, and instead use the GPG and PPG stats you're dismissing for his rookie year. You can't pick and choose to make Matthews look better. That was his point.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Now I understand what you were saying, however I rather follow actual stats that show Matthews finished tied for 2nd in total goals. So I guess we have to agree to disagree about this.
That’s fine. But then it’s have to follow actual stats in all his other seasons. Not “pace”.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Imagine if Pettersson had the type of talent around him, especially on the PP that there is in Toronto.

Imagine if teams had another player to focus on defending when they play Vancouver as there is in Toronto. Pettersson is the absolute singular point of focus for other teams defending. Imagine if he had another C as good as Tavares to take some of that focus off of him. Imagine if Pettersson had that crisp early outlet pass that Rielly provides instead of constantly having to come back so deep and starting the plays himself.
Leafs finished buck naked last the year they drafted Matthews. They were not a stacked team yet he went on to score 40 goals and make the playoffs the year they drafted him.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Leafs finished buck naked last the year they drafted Matthews. They were not a stacked team yet he went on to score 40 goals and make the playoffs the year they drafted him.
That team already had five 60+ point players. It didn’t take teams long to realize they’d have to focus their defending on 2 lines, not 1. Right now every opposing team focus their defending fully and totally on Pettersson.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Pettersson is shooting 25%, averages 1:30 more on the PP per game, and has had better 5v5 linemates this season yet is blowing out this poll? This is peak HF.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The only visible skill I’d give Matthews is the way he receives a pass and the quickness of his release. Not even sure about release in general, but Matthews is already shooting virtually before he receives the pass. The quickness of release upon receiving a pass. That and being bigger, although he doesn’t really use his size, he’s probably harder to knock off the puck.

For me everything else is Pettersson. From skating to puck handling to game reading ability to passing to defending.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I stayed up to see what the hype with Petterson was all about. Figured he’d have his way with the last place Ducks. I wasn’t impressed. Certainly not a player worth staying up for.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I stayed up to see what the hype with Petterson was all about. Figured he’d have his way with the last place Ducks. I wasn’t impressed. Certainly not a player worth staying up for.
Hey, even the oilers looked like world beaters when they first made a coaching change. Ducks played strong.

If it’s actually true that the first time you sat down to watch this kid was in the middle of February, you should give it a another go, just one or two more times.

Imagine if someone watched Matthews got the first time in one o of the last 25 games he’s played, 96% of which he looked varyingly invisible to dog crap? They’re opinion would be what?

Reactions: Vesperia

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Hey, even the oilers looked like world beaters when they first made a coaching change. Ducks played strong.

If it’s actually true that the first time you sat down to watch this kid was in the middle of February, you should give it a another go, just one or two more times.

Imagine if someone watched Matthews got the first time in one o of the last 25 games he’s played, 96% of which he looked varyingly invisible to dog crap? They’re opinion would be what?

Matthews has 23 points in his last 25 games.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Matthews has 23 points in his last 25 games.
If you discard the game on dec 22 (4 pts) which was just before his cold run, and discard the very left game he’s played (3 pts) it looks a lot closer to the level of play he’s displaying since Christmas.

The point is that someone is using one game to make a judgment on a player while ignoring that the vast majority of those games he’s looked like he doesn’t have a pulse?

Are you denying this? All onehad to do is look st the significant number of leaf fans themselves who would agree and their comments on the leafs boards show this.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
When did McDavid and Dahlin end up in the same category?
Never said same category. I said Dahlin and McDavid are only young guys who i would consider taking over EP. McDavid would be a no-brainer. Dahlin would be a more difficult choice. Nobody else would merit a 2nd thought for me.

Why is it so hard to see the value of Dahlin? Hes a monster at 18 and the most promising young D in at least a decade IMO. His ceiling is very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad