Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018

What are you hoping to show in this highlight? All I see is a slight opening to drive the front of the net or continue on, behind the net to extend the play instead he takes option #3 which was to shot into the middle of the goalie who clearly square to the angle.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
What are you hoping to show in this highlight? All I see is a slight opening to drive the front of the net or continue on, behind the net to extend the play instead he takes option #3 which was to shot into the middle of the goalie who clearly square to the angle.
He blew by him so effortless.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't think you can clearly make a case for one over the other at this point. Both are excellent young players and both excel at different things. If I had to pick a guy at gun point right now I would probably pick Matthews, but that could certainly change by next season depending on how each guy continues to develop their game. Pettersson looks like he will be an excellent all around player and has potential to be one of the best players in the league. When I joined this site I created my user name poking fun at the hype Matthews was getting because there were 3 or 4 threads about good Matthews was. Now maybe I should change it, he might be getting underrated to some degree.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Not sure where this Lop sided poll has come from, Matthews and Pettersson have virtually identical stats in every column this season even down to TOI... Except matthews did it in 5 less games.

I take Matthews for the time being. Ill wait a couple more years on Pettersson and hope he doesnt turn out like Laine.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Lol Pettersson this is classic HF.
He’s one of the most talented and gifted players in the entire league. I can understand people voting the other way, but it’s impossible, or should be impossible for people to think the notion is outlandish.

First year player who makes jaw dropping plays multiple times a game and who is the singular point of focus for defending from every single opponent he faces.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Not sure where this Lop sided poll has come from, Matthews and Pettersson have virtually identical stats in every column this season even down to TOI... Except matthews did it in 5 less games.

I take Matthews for the time being. Ill wait a couple more years on Pettersson and hope he doesnt turn out like Laine.
Or any of the other players compared to Matthews the last few years.

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
Yet you forget the major difference between one player getting far more support than the other.

Heck Babcock at one point had to put Marner on Matthews wing to get the latter going.

Keep thinking this is the shiny new toy, whatever helps you leafs fans sleep at night. (While being asleep whenever the kid plays)

EP has been the better player than Matthews is. Atleast the results in the poll are accurate.
Yeah without a doubt. One plays with two third liners, the other plays with a calder trophy finalist.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I mean why can’t it be reasonable possibility? Just watching Pettersson it’s very apparent he has a variety of tools that’ll help keep him in the upper echelon of players in the league year in and year out.

I voted too close to call, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Petey pull ahead in the future either. (I say this as a Canucks Fan who owns a Nylander shirsey and a Marner jersey, so I really doubt that a bunch of Leafs Haters are just voting for Petey for teh lulz).

The only way people would say it’s impossible is from not watching Pettersson play or because they really, really want it to be impossible for having an emotional bond to Matthews, which is fine but when you let that influence logical player valuations, it becomes a world of pink skies and purple suns.

Reactions: Dust Bucket
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad