Pettersson vs Matthews

Who will be the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Pretty sure matthews didnt miss 12 games in his rookie season.

• Matthews was tied for 31st in points per game with Ovechkin, .03 from 25th. Pettersson is tied for 25th in points per game, .07 from 31st with Matthews placing much higher in goals per game over the full season. Matthews was also a year younger so I'm not seeing a clear difference in their trajectory here.

People never give Matthews credit for his 60+ game season yet we're supposed to anoint Pettersson with the clearly higher potential after 45 games where's he's not even clearly better than rookie Matthews a year younger.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He should probably have 10-12 more assists than he does as the low conversion rate of his teammates on the countless plays he sets up cvsnt stay as low as they’ve been.

He’s a player who creates offense all game long. He will remain productive. There may be legitimate concern over his size and durability. There can be no concern about his ability. He has one of the highest levels of skill in the league and is one of the smartest players in the league.

In terms of his hockey IQ and game reading ability, even Kariya is yet another guy who said Pettersson reminds him of Gretzky on last nights hometown broadcast.

The only thing he’s missing for people to even blindly claim greatness is the history of being a #1 overall draft pick. When you’re a #1 overall, you can be pure trash for 2 month stretches and people still give you the benefit of the doubt.

I would just like to add that Matthews in his first two seasons was in the top 3 in chances created at ES. Despite his higher production this season (also has a lot to do with scoring going up) he was consistently a more dangerous player for the better part of his first two seasons.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Elias's shooting percentage of course will come down but did anyone think he could actually start shooting more? In 45 games he's taken 94 shots where as Makinnion, Kane, Seguin, Evander Kane, Larkin, Ovie, Eichel and more have over 200 shots each already. Elias is tracking well and who knows where he winds up but for now he's looking like a stud in the making. His vision on the ice and positioning is what makes him so good for me and that shot !!

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would just like to add that Matthews in his first two seasons was in the top 3 in chances created at ES. Despite his higher production this season (also has a lot to do with scoring going up) he was consistently a more dangerous player for the better part of his first two seasons.
Great point about Matthews chances at even strength because since coming into the NHL he's scored the most 5v5 goals.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
For a couple of years I was saying that he has what it takes to possibly become the best American born and trained player ever. And based purely on skill and talent, he indeed does. For the past couple of years though I’ve come to question his desire and drive. I don’t discredit his ability.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
For a couple of years I was saying that he has what it takes to possibly become the best American born and trained player ever. And based purely on skill and talent, he indeed does. For the past couple of years though I’ve come to question his desire and drive. I don’t discredit his ability.

True, no I feel the same way lately, but I think it is more to do with injuries and not wanting to be injured all the time. Who really knows though, he is able to have more than half his games this season leave me disappointed with his play and still be top 10 in points per game, which again is because of his immense skill level. Sometimes it does seem like he is distracted out there though, but I'm not worried about him at all. He'll be one of the best players for a long time I just hope he really achieves his full potential.

Reactions: koyvoo

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
  • Matthews was tied for 31st in points per game with Ovechkin, .03 from 25th. Pettersson is tied for 25th in points per game, .07 from 31st with Matthews placing much higher in goals per game over the full season. Matthews was also a year younger so I'm not seeing a clear difference in their trajectory here.

People never give Matthews credit for his 60+ game season yet we're supposed to anoint Pettersson with the clearly higher potential after 45 games where's he's not even clearly better than rookie Matthews a year younger.
Did you just see the praise from paul kariya? That means alot coming from a former star player and not armchair analyst like you.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Did you just see the praise from paul kariya? That means alot coming from a former star player and not armchair analyst like you.

Oh solid rebuttal, you know people said the same thing about RNH when he came into the league right? He's far from the first guy to be compared to Gretzky, he's just the most recent. He'll be much better than RNH though I'm sure.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Oh solid rebuttal, you know people said the same thing about RNH when he came into the league right? He's far from the first guy to be compared to Gretzky, he's just the most recent. He'll be much better than RNH though I'm sure.
Too early to say about matthews and pettersson. Leafs have better supporting cast so far though

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yet so far this season Pettersson has suffered two different injuries that caused him to miss multiple games.
His first injury was from being slammed by a player that got suspended for his action.

His second was a freak injury where his leg got twisted at an insane angle.

Not sure why these are evidence towards him being injury prone, if that's what you're trying to imply.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
How can you argue against Petterson playing nearly twice the amount of PP time than Matthews and playing with Boeser a guy who was easily paced to score 40 in his rookie season?? It's insane the amount of amount of excuses I'm seeing when Petterson actually has a player like Boeser on his line and Matthews has had revolving door of Marluea/Kapapen/Brown on his line all season.

EP is being put in a fantastic situation to score for a rookie not only being put with the 2nd best player on the team but playing insane PP minutes, He is not doing more with less at all.

Playing twice amount of PP time isn't exactly that valid especially when the PP isn't exactly very good. They couldn't even score in a 4-3 PP in overtime. The PP has been struggling for quite some time much like the Leafs PP. You keep bringing up Boeser, but you can't seem to understand the fact is that EP played without Boeser for quite some time, and Boeser wasn't as good as he was last year due to sophomore slump and an injury riddled issues, until the all star break. The fact is EP is helping Boeser more than the latter is helping him. You also seem to not understand that EP doesn't exactly have good enough top line LW to play with.

The statement of EP being put in a fantastic situation is hilarious. Considering he's playing against tough compeition, has a roating bunch of third line left wingers occasionally, has the worst defensive pairing in the general in Pouliot and Gudbranson that gave him zilch as support and the rookie having to adjust to the SHL to NHL grind.

Atleast Matthews plays with Tavares and Marner on the PP, playing for a much better offensive team in general, and doesn't have Pou-Gud as a pairing to support him offensively. So yes overall EP is doing more than what Matthews has. He's having a better rookie season for sure.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Matthews right now as an overall player, but i wouldn't be shocked if pettersson caught him later on. I think matthews will be the higher goal scorer long term, but pettersson may end up with more overall points, i luv his ability to create for his teammates.

Either way, both absolute studs, wish we had one in STL lol

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
His first injury was from being slammed by a player that got suspended for his action.

His second was a freak injury where his leg got twisted at an insane angle.

Not sure why these are evidence towards him being injury prone, if that's what you're trying to imply.
The way I see it Matthews got no breaks from non Leafs fans when discussing his previous injuries, so why should I give the same benefit of the doubt to Pettersson?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
The way I see it Matthews got no breaks from non Leafs fans when discussing his previous injuries, so why should I give the same benefit of the doubt to Pettersson?
Because Canucks fans don't speak for Pettersson?

I'm sure Pettersson thinks very highly of Matthews.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Last year people were saying Barzal was the much better player then Matthews. Now in 15 less games matthews is leading him in points this year.
Thing is Players sometimes come in like gang busters but it gets harder in this league to keep it up. Pettersson is an awesome player, as is Barzal. Lets give him a couple of years to see how he handles the grind.

Reactions: razkaz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad